FookLai

Headroom Total AirHead

Here's a pix. It does sound good esp with low imp cans. High imp cans really need the 9-volt version that Headroom sold briefly. Maybe you can contact them and get one customised. For shipping add approx US$36 - US$40 (Fed-Ex only unfortunately).

Alternatively get someone to make you a META 42. Several builders in head-fi.

CaveMan,

Please look at my original response to Fook's question. He asked if the TA was good sounding unit. I told him in fact it was. I also mentioned the META 42. I even told him there were 2 version of the TA and that the 9 volt version was better suited for high impedence cans. I think, I gave Fook the most amount of info without knowing what headphone he has. I said that for the low impedence cans, the difference was/is less between the 2 versions of the Total Airhead.

Please READ what I originally posted to Fook's question. Basically he asked "Was the Total Airhead a good 2nd hand buy". It was only when another poster compared the current version of the Total Airhead to the OLDER version of the Porta Corda (MKI) that I started talking about Porta Corda. Please note that in the first place, we have no idea which version of the Total Airhead was/is being offered in Singnet Classifieds. However the poster decided to compare the current version (I think) of the Total Airhead with an older version of the Porta Corda. Once a comparison had been made albeit with an older model of the Porta Corda - which BTW was NOT Fook's anywhere in question - the door was open for me to give my views on the Porta Corda MkII. Since the Total Airhead is not a new products, I decide to inform Fook that long term durability of the Porta Corda (either version) is much better because it does not use SMD parts like the Total Airhead (any version) does. In fact the Porta Corda uses much higher quality parts - from Wima caps, to silver plated jacks, switches to the Alps pot etc ad nausuem. The fact is, it is a superior product to the Total Airhead in part quality - and that's just for starters! I'm sure you are not suggesting that SMD parts are of better quality? Next we come to other parts like the cable, 120 ohm adapter, belt clip, supplied DC jack. Again, no contest. All the parts, from the cable, to the silver plated input/ouput jacks etc are better - Period! Why mention about part quality? It's for long term durability and reliability - the Total Airhead being of unknown vintage and having no warrenty left is IMO a risky buy unless it is very cheap. Any repairs will be charged with shipping and we know that headroom only ships via fed-ex (read expensive). Anyone who has bought anything from headroom knows they only ship via Fed-Ex internationally.

The Porta Corda is also superior on another front - that of being more compatible with more headphones mainly because of the 120 ohm adapter. You may know that some headphones like the Beyer DT-831, DT-931, Grado's, Ety 4P etc perform/sound better with the 120 ohm output impedence. While others like the Senn HD-600, Ety 4S, Beyer DT-880 does better with a 0 ohm output impedence. The Porta Corda offers both (in short it is more compatible to a wider range of headphones from different manufacturers). Isn't this important esp after a comaprison has been made? OR, I you suggesting that I have to agree with anything and everthing that anyone has to say even when it comes to products that I represent in Singapore?

So now, from a build quality and compatibily stand-point we have a better product in the Porta Corda (either Mk I or MkII). Whether the actual buyer prefers one over the other is his choice. And I did state this.

As for Tee's question, he has become a regular customer of mine and asked if I had any preowned Porta Corda MkII units for sale. I told him it was unlikey. If I wanted to blow my own trumpet, like you said, then I would have stated something like - "the Porta Corda II is so good that no one has decided to let one go on the 2nd hand markert in Singapore" - that, CaveMan, is blowing one's trumpet. What I said to Tee in a phone call last night was the fact that the Porta Corda MkII has only been available in Singapore since January and that it is unlike that there will be too many floating around in the 2nd hand market in Singapore. Ask him if I said that last night. Letting Tee know that there is a greater probability of a used Porta Corda (MkI or MkII) readily available at head-fi is not blowing my trumpet- it is information that is actually NOT to my benefit if I was purely interested in sales? Or am I stating the obvious here and as such there is no need to mention it?

As for whether there is a need for putting pictures and specs when they are available elsewhere, let me give you an example. My prices are in the Classifieds section in SG Headphones, yet people still ask as you can see from this thread alone. So, yes people - maybe not you - do indeed like some information repeated here as well. Otherwise, there will ne no head-fi.org bec. the info is abailable at headwize.com. And there will be no headiwze.com bec. there are the manufacturer's websites (in regards to products). In your world , there will only be links. Links in SG Headphones that go to head-fi and links from there that go the headwize and links from there that lead to manufacture's websites. (okay this is a stretch and I don't think you intended that). But you are trying to tell me that information that is available in other place should not be repeated. Well, that's your opinion.

As for you not wanting me to reply, you are begining to sound like someone I know. Are you in any way related? This thread got out of alignment when the comparison was made to a current product with someting from the past. Was Fook comparing a PC (MkI) with a current TA? No. Was Fook comapring at all? No. But once a comparison has been made, I have every right to state what I stated. Or are you saying that I need to agree? FYI, we don't even know which version of the TA was/is being offered on Singnet Classifieds. No one offered any info about how to recognise one - only N@Z provided a a fact about the LED light.

Also, since this has already been moderated by an officially appointed forum moderator, what purpose did your post serve? Everyone here knows I am a Grado and Corda Representative, because I choose to inform them unlike others. Would you like to know who? I will make it a new post!

And as for your veiled comments abt being sued - how can I be sued?Am I going to be sued for saying that the TA was a good sounding unit (a subjective positive statement on my part). Am I going to be sued for saying that the Total Airhead uses far cheaper components (this is a fact). Am I going to be sued for saying that there were 2 versions on the Total Airhead where the 9 volt version is better suited for high impedence cans as compared to the 4.5 Volt version (when this has been acknowledged by Tyll of headroom in head-fi?).

I get the sense you're trying to muzzle the flow of information - from pictures to specs. Why indeed is a good question. And more importantly, who are you?

I have done nothing wrong. I have stated the facts about part quality, 9-volts versus 4.5 volts, supplied accesories, and have not doctored any pictures. In addition, I have stated that the final litmus test is in the listening.

Which BTW is exactly what I offer to people without any pressure tactics. Anyone, after making an appointment, can come by and listen to any headphone I have with any headphone amp. I even ask people to bring their own CDs and if possible their own equipment.

This level of professionalism has been experienced by Guyferd, Ablaze, RawHit, Tee, Bulkie, Nothern Oak, Ting, Ryan etc etc etc. They have all broght equipment of their own to compare. Some have bought amps or headphones while others have not. As such I offer people a chance to compare. If Fook decided to buy the Total Airhead and then bring it down to compare it with a Porta Corda MkII, I would welcome him just like I do anyone else. So please don't talk to me about professionalism.

Why should I not reply? What meaning do you have it stating that "if you were me, I would not reply". If you want I will post links to the headroom website where the pictures are. Is that your only grouse? Then fine I change it.

Ablaze and Mackie,

Agree. But I kept my mouth shut when El posted and said no reply was needed. Now I get another from CaveMan that says the same thing. I did nothing more than state the facts. I then carried on with the conversation replying to others including the original poster's question on price. Did I hijack the thread?

Anyway, long term durability of a product (esp a 2nd hand one) depends on part quality (and luck of the draw unfortunately). The door was opened when the Porta Corda was compared. What was I to do? Keep silent.

How did CaveMan's retort contribute to the original FookLai's question? Isn't he off topic as well? Is he now telling people that I can't reply to people who ask questions about price in the main forum? That's plain rude and stupid of me to do.

Anyways, it's over for now. I don't like being threatened - veiled or otherwise.

Please accept my apologies if I did offend anyone - including CaveMan.

Edited by Rameish

Chill pill time: take two tablets, three times daily. Before / after meals is fine. And be sure to complete the course. Result? w00t.gif

OK guys, don't push it, everybody has had their say. Let FookLai decide for himself. I don't wanna have to lock this thread, or any others for that matter.

N@Z,

Agree. Lock this thread if need be.

CaveMan,

Do let me know in whichever guise you choose as to whether you wish me to do an expose¡­? I will be more than willing. In fact I almost welcome it.

El Scorcho,

Agree, but it would definately be a w00t.gif x the power of n.