Sign in to follow this  
Guest drumma

help needed with portable amps!

Guest drumma

hi all, this is my first thread and i'm still a noob to headphones and amps.. so forgive me if i don't know what u are referring to.

i've read alot from head-fi... and some portable amps like headsave Go-vibe were recommended. but i'm not able to find such amps in singapore. so is anyone able to provide me with some info or anyone building amps?

finding an amp to drive the HD595 and the HD600.

hi all, this is my first thread and i'm still a noob to headphones and amps.. so forgive me if i don't know what u are referring to.

i've read alot from head-fi... and some portable amps like headsave Go-vibe were recommended. but i'm not able to find such amps in singapore. so is anyone able to provide me with some info or anyone building amps?

finding an amp to drive the HD595 and the HD600.

It shows, because you posted in the wrong forum. happy.gif

Duly moved into the portable section. Might I also suggest you have a look through the forums first then if you don't find what you want post your specific requirements. cool.gif

A portable amp to drive the HD-595 will be a very different beast to drive the HD-600. Chalk and cheese.

I find the Grado RA-1 drives the HD-600 and it's sorta portable. Whilst the Corda PCII drives the HD-595 well. Portable to drive the HD-600 is gonna get though - try the Emmline portables.

Guest drumma

hmmm, why is it so? is it because of the impedance? do u know where i can find portable amps. i've read much reviews on the go-vibe and very tempted to go with it but it doesn't seem to be for sale in singapore.. regarding the corda, do u know of the prices?

thanks alot.

Guest drumma

i think u are referring to the RS series? got the price of those amps also? mind to educate me on what's crossfeed?

You really need to do some reading before asking these basic questions. Read some articles here, then go to head-fi or better yet headwise.com.

Then when you have decided which headphone you wish to amplify do come back and ask. For instance the HD-600 is not quiet what you would call a portable headphone yet you wish to amp it with a portable amp. the 2 senns you have mentioned have a very different tone and impedence. An amp sited to one is very likely not to be suited for the other.

There are plenty of articles on crossfeed in head-fi and headwise if you want an amp with crossfeed you'll need to get one from overseas - PiMeta or PPA with x-feed (DIY), Corda, Headroom amps

visit www.meier-audio.de for an article on crossfeed and about prices

Grado RA-1 amp can be bought from Music By Design at Adelphi 2nd level. To me this amp is quite nice with the Senn HD-600 YMMV.

Also its only sorta portable - although battery powered it's quite large (anout the size of a CD jewel case except fatter.

Lastly please consolidate your thoughts (or at least edit your posts). It makes it difficult to answer you as I do not know where to start.

smoke.gif

Guest drumma

lol, i'm very sorrie. last qns ok. so u are a dealer for amps or what? if not, i won't know where to get some amps..

thanks.

The Emmeline amps can be found at this site: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/index2.html

I suppose the XP-7 and SR-71 are portable.

It's easier to decide on which pair of cans you want first, rather than buying the amp first.

I think you can get some members here to do a DIY amp for you, if they have the time. smile.gif

BTW: like what Rameish said, why do you need a portable amp to drive full-size cans? Surely you're not going to wear them on the street ohmy.gif

Guest drumma

i thought maybe a portable amp might be a better choice over those audiophile amps.. cos i'm also on a budget and i'll be moving around.. this is my first rig and yah...

If you're on a budget then what you need is a DIY amp, not portable amp. If you need to move around, with those headphones I'm very sure you'd always listen at places where there are power sources, hence there is no need for portable amp, except one which is smaller in size, and accepts ac power ( no need to use batteries ).

Guest drumma

i wanted a portable because i can't do DIY and i can't find anyone who does DIY. as i've told u, i'm pretty new to all these. also prefers one which uses battery or battery with ac power. laugh.gif