Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Sennheiser HD 25-1 and HD 280 Pro

Ha ha! Viconte, about those stare, frankly speaking that was what I worried about when I first listened to music in a train with the HD 280 Pro, and that thing is really huge compared to this much smaller HD 25-1. But I would say that Singaporeans are not that 'swa koo'. I do get some stares but really not a lot. Anyway I think I am crazy as really not many people wearing headphone of that size walking around. But I don't really care as with 2 young kids at home nowadays I can hardly listen to music at home being speakers or headphone. So sadly the total 1 hour to and fro from home to office is the precious time I can listen to music. Of course plus some hours in the office.

Anyway u are right, havn't seen any HD 25-1 or HD 280 Pro on the streets out there. I ever see some full size Sony, Audio Technical and some other brands on the streets (or rather on the train).

I do have some strange experience with PX-200. That headphone seems to generate a fair bit of noise when wearing in enclosed rooms / shopping centre with people talking. I remember one occasion where I was listening to Mahler while my baby sleeping in one of the food court, the PX 200 generate more noise than isolate the noise. Not sure is it my fault not waring the headphone properly. I do not have the same problem with HD 280 and HD 25.

Edited by fuwen

If u think the HD25-1's are bad...at least they are small in their profile. My MDR-7506 totally encompass my ears. Its pretty big so i do get the occasional looks but not a big deal cause im usually lost in the music when im on the move.

This is the frequency response comparison from headroom. Not sure the difference in the low frequency region accounts for the more prominant bass for the HD 25-1.

post-2-1098842904.jpg

The isolation comparison.

post-2-1098842939.jpg

Thanks to David Watt managed to change the stock HD 25-1 steel cable to a OEM replacement cable, build quality much better than the stock cable, after about 4 years(!) using the headphone. The headphone connectors are very tight no time to check improvements in sound quality but seems better. I was lazy so got the cable from Sennheiser service centre and got them to change for me.

Edited by fuwen

The replacement cable that both Fuwen and I are using is part no: 74532 from Sennheiser's product catalogue. This cable is more flexible than the stock but is terminated with the 1/4-inch plug. It is originally designed for the 600-ohm version of the HD-25 and thus is asymmetrical.

To my ears, the sound is smooth with the replacement cable compared to the stock. The grainiess and harshness of the original cable is gone with a subtle increase in details.

THis cable is also relatively friendly on the wallet at S$35 from Sennheiser Asia.

Edited by david watt