Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Sennheiser HD 25-1 and HD 280 Pro

Just got my new toy HD 25-1 last Saturday. It has been a long time I am thinking is it worth paying the extras for the old HD 25-1 model as compared to the much cheaper and latest of Sennheiser full size closed headphones. After about 50 hours plus of running in I would say the HD 25-1 did not disappoint me.

In terms of spec:

spec_-------------- HD 25-1----------------------HD 280 Pro

price S$------------approx $330--------------approx $220

freq response----16-22kHz -10dB----------8-25kHz -10dB

---------------------30-16kHz -3 dB

design-------------dynamic close-------------dynamic close

---------------------supra-aural--------------- circum-aural

impedence---------70 ohms------------------ 64 ohms

THD---------------- <0.3%-------------------- <0.1%(51kHz 100dB SPL)

sensitivity-------- 120dB---------------------113dB

wt ----------------- 140g-----------------------285g

headband press-- 2.5N------------------------4N

cable-------------- 1.5m single sided---------1-3m single sided

----------------------steel cable-----------------coiled cable

Based on specs the HD 280 Pro seems better. However it is clear that the HD 25 is much lighter. Noise attenuation based on my practical experience on MRT they are comparable and better than Ultrasone HFI 650. However the HD 25 seems to let you hear clearer the anouncement on the train.

Of course the HD 280 Pro is much bigger and will attract more attention in the train. HD 280 is comfortable because of the circum-aural design but HD 25 is much lighter and secured.

To me sonically HD 25 seems to be clearer whereas HD 280 is more laid back. Sound stage I need to confirm but I think is this espect HD 280 is better. I am quite happy with both of them using in the MRT train. I have tried the HFI 650 but have left it at home as the noise attenuation is far behind the Sennheisers.

As to whether is it worth the extra money for the HD 25, I guess I would say if you can live with HD 280 Pro's size and wt then HD 280 maybe better value for money and is the latest technology.

IMHO YMMV etc etc

Edited by fuwen

Hi Fuwen,

I'm interested to know where you purchased it also. I went to the Senn web site and saw from the photos, the web site have hd25(single side cable) and hd25-sp(dual side cables) but no hd25-1? They aren't looked big in the photos but I would like check with you if it's similar size to the Senn Px200. I am thinking of upgrading. happy.gif

Edited by Charismatic

Hi! Lengcm, I bought the HD 25-1 from a shop in the ground floor at SLQ. Actually they sell the same price as Hung's Brother.

I am a bit curious. Is it very difficult to find HD 25-1? I have always seen them at Hung's Brother. In fact I was already eyeing them quite a while and Hung's Brother was actually selling them at $275 (or at least they quoted me that price)!

BTW I thought there are only HD 25-1 (70 ohms professional DJ model), HD 25-13 (600 ohms model) and HD 25-SP (cheaper version of HD 25-1).

Hi! Charismatic, although the HD 25-1 is light and much smaller than HD 280 Pro (which is about the same size as HD 600/650), it is by no means very small, and at least double the size of PX200. Also HD 25-1 cannot be folded so it is not very compact as the PX200. The ear pads are small though as they are placed 'in the ear' rather than covering the ear.

There are 2 headbands and if u opeing them wide enough the headphone can be quite stable on the head.

In terms of isolation PX200 is definitely way way behind.

I will try to post a picture with PX200 and HD 25-1 as soon as I can. But now adays with kids around really very hard to do things!

HD 25-1 (top left), HD 280 Pro (top right) and PX200 (bottom)

post-2-1098191186.jpg

The headphones in folded position. (HD 25-1 cannot be folded.)

post-2-1098191299.jpg

The left ear pad of HD 25-1 turned at an angle for 1 ear listening.

post-2-1098191396.jpg

The HD25-1 looks really cool. Saw a photo of Bjork using a pair once. I nearly bought one used before but I hesitated because of the supraural earpad. Sub SG$300 makes it a fairly good buy.

When you have time can you compare it with your K501 & HD600?

These cans are highly rated for their nice solid and deep low end quite like the 7506 but doesnt really have a recessed mid and their highs are alright pretty hard to tell cuz i was listening to electronic music with them. My friend uses them for dj-ing. I thought that becuz of the low-mid impedance, it would be rather soft listening to music on my njb3 but it was surprisingly very loud. Probably due to the high sensitivity? Highlight for me was the bass, very satisfying during the short time i used it. It goes pretty low and it feels deep...yet it doesnt feel bloated. Its quite 'tight' and feels just right somehow.

OT: btw, nice pic of "progress of photography"... I like the look of certain old cameras.

When you have time can you compare it with your K501 & HD600?

Hi! N@Z, not sure whether I will have time for A/B but from my experience so far I still believe that for the purpose of music open headphones are superior to close headphones. I do not have any experiences with Beyer close cans though which I ever heard from a forum member that the DT 831 and 931 has pretty close sonic characteristics (if I can remember correctly). I also gave a miss to your DT-150 all because I am not agreeable to its look(ha ha!).I ventured into closed headphones all because of wanting to use them on the move on public transport, a situation where noise attenuation is more important than quality of music.

Anyway just form memory I think HD 25-1 has a very different character from HD 600 and AKG 501. In Sennheisor brochure HD 25-1 is rated good for most music except for jazz and classical, which I tend to agree. As far as classical music is concerned, AKG 501 and HD 600 is very much more superior than HD 25-1. HD 25-1 I think has a narrow sound stage but the music can be quite involving as it sounds pretty close. So far what I like about HD 25-1 is the light weight, clarity in producing the music, good bass reproduction and good transcient response. HD 280 Pro has an edge over HD 25-1 over classical music but HD 280 can also get muddy when the classical music getting loud and involving many instrument.

Edited by fuwen

Thanks the sonic character was what I was looking for (not which is better).

Just realised the cable connector to the headphone side of the HD 25-1 and that of HD 600 is very similar. The plastic portion is dimensionally similar. The connector also comes with 2 pins, 1 bigger like that of the HD 600. However the HD 600 ones are all rounded but the HD 25-1 seems to have some flat edges. A forum member ever uses a Cardas cable on his HD 25, not sure is it the HD 600 cables. But there is a practical problem of using other cables as the original cable is very thin (but rugged. There are very little space on the headband to secure a thicker cable.

Just got the HD 25-1, I must say with burn-in it sounds alot better (10hours), heard it needs like 100 hours of burn-in. Fuwen, you bought yours for $200+?? I got mine for $300+, and SLS Hung Bros doesnt sell it for $275... anyway, enjoying it now kicking.gif

Hi! Viconte, u read wrongly. I got mine for $330 paying by NETS. I have burnt in for about 100 hours and my ears are not able to hear difference already. I felt that it is a good headphone, although may not be value for money.

Enjoy your new toy!

Value for money? I must say that for sound alone, it's not worth all tt $300+, there are definitely better choices for a closed headphone at that price. But if you are looking for a portable closed headphone with good isolation, this is one of the best choices IMO. But its a hefty price to pay for... blink.gif

After getting the HD25-1, of ya, the box only states as HD25, but on the headphone itself it states as HD25-1, so HD25=HD25-1. The reason that they distinguish it with a -1 is to differentiate with its inferior cousin, the HD25SP (from I read from Head-fi).

Sound wise, Its a in-your-face thing, pratically no sound-stage at all, for live performances, you virtually feel the singer is just next to you, not like 3 or 4 rows away from you if you use other cans, but I like in this way smile.gif Oh ya, i realised that after getting this headphones, my PX200 sounds so dark and muddled, as if the sound is choked! Maybe it needs more burning in, heard sennheiser headphones needs at 100+ hours in order to bring out the true sound qualities, anyone can back tt??? Anyway the HD25 seems to be get better after burn-in (or is it psychological???), I initially felt the bass is muddled too, but its getting much clearer and tighter too. Also the sibilance thing is getting better, initially it felt so piercing tt I got irritated! I still prefer my PX100 when it comes to trebles, more soothing to my ears, but HD25's bass is defn better. You must get a good seal wearing the HD25 to get a punchy and tight bass, something similar to the PX200, which without a good seal everything sounds so thin.

Hey Fuwen, do you get curious stares on the mrt/bus when you wear the HD280/HD25? I get some curious stares every now and then... ha. There's 1 auntie in my workplace who asked me what my HD25 were, I told her they were mufflers!!! (hey they provide good isolation!) Oh ya, I got looks from students, like "my sony streetstyle earphones should sound better" if only they knew!

Hey I havent seen anyone wearing a HD25 on the streets or mrt, if I see one, maybe tt's you Fuwen? Ha maybe I will walk up to you.... ok you enjoy yr HD25 too.