Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

Windows XP SP2 !@#$%

Hi guys,

Any of you have installed the XP SP2? I ordered the CD from Microsoft, and install them per instruction.

Now I have two problem (maybe more, don't know yet):

1. Startup ussually takes 1 minute or slightly more, now it takes almost 3 mins no.gif

2. Whenever I'm burning CD/DVD with Nero (the latest version), it always fail the burning process if I start IE. That means, I cannot use my pc to browse internet when burning CD hammer.gif

I've searched for solution, but until now the problems are still there. Lucky I made Ghost image in DVDs before I install SP2, if I cannot solve the problem, I will roll back to SP1.

I use XP home.

bpribadi, my nephew has his harddisk crashed on him during the update and he had to re-install everything inc OS. The IBM workshop people recommended that SP2 be installed on a clean system, so you may have to do just that, ie re-install XP and the SP2 before other software. But updates on all our other computers went without problems. Phew!

We can only tremble at the thought that MS try to get their software in car computers now. Turn the key and the car respond, GPF failure and shut-down??? yucky.gif

Edited by heady

I read it as well... on clean install normally no problem, but upgrade ussually cause a lot of problem.

Well I'm too lazy to reinstall everything, so I will just roll back to SP1 using the Ghost Image, faster.

And also for reinstallation, since I assembled this PC myself, and bought the OEM version of Windows XP, if I install it again, I have to call Microsoft to reactivate them. I did it last time, but now I'm lazy to go through the same process again.

I should have created the Ghost image right after installing the OS sleep.gif , but I didn't do it last time... no.gif So I guess roll to SP1 should be good enough for me.

2. Whenever I'm burning CD/DVD with Nero (the latest version), it always fail the burning process if I start IE. That means, I cannot use my pc to browse internet when burning CD hammer.gif

Why not try other browsers? I am using Firefox, there's also Mozilla, Opera, etc.

Btw I also installed SP2 a few days ago and it's working fine. The computer did crash on the first install attempt but fortunately everything was still intact...

I use XP pro and have tonnes of progs installed yet I experience no slow startup. In fact I've experienced a faster startup.

BTW I feel its good practice to not touch the computer especially when burning audio CDs. But I do notice this problem after installing SP2, that is that CDs burn at a max of 8x while last time it was 16x. My burner's max speed is 24x. Software is NTI CD Maker Deluxe.

Hmm i haven try out this Sp2 .. cos i got lot of feedback from friends saying that their computer got worst and i also heard funny news that his PC crash !! ohmy.gifcool.gif

I am refraining from sp2 personally because of all the reports of crashes/incompatibilities by hardware sites. Bpribadi, did u get any more updates from windows update? Some of the patches for sp2 shud solve some of your problems. I suppose you could tweak your system to get back to normal operating speed but that would take some know-how.

i did install sp2 last few weeks ago,both for my pc and notebook. Both use xp home last time. So far i have not encounter any problem. My updates were via download through the internet. As for internet browsing i use firefox and opera. My girlfriend use IE on my notebook of which i sometimes uses avant browser which is IE based browser.

In my line of work, part timer, at an estab IT firm(out source firm), we've encountered many customers sending in sets for repair due to SP2.

Some common problems are, SP2 are simply not comapatitible with existing 3rd parties software in the system. Some are due to hardware too. M$ have a list of programes/hardwares that might have conflict with

SP2.

But it is not all bad. The firewall that comes with it is actually better than Norton, according to engineers in my workplace. I got this feeling that they actually rushed the patch out, since they shelved Longhorn further back.

On my notebook i dont use SP2 but my desktop does. It is running fine. It has better networking support and bluetooth interface is simplier now. At least now they got generic drivers for bluetooth.

These are my thoughts of SP2. If i missed/misunderstood anything pls inform me.

another note: I actualli hate SP2, it does bogged down the system a little. I don't really like Windows too, but most of the IT infrastrutcture i used, ie workplace/school, more tend to be MS, in a way, i'm bound by MS. Actually i more of dont like the interface, preferred Mac.(i changed the shell system on my windows anyway).

it's late, getting delirious...mugging....

my win98 still sport.gifpose.gifjump.gif

tweak the registry until its lean & mean tongue.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

my win98 still   

tweak the registry until its lean & mean 

Woo that good for you !!!sia ...

but for XP don't install the SP2 before you backupz your files ... to recover your lost Data if there a error

But still don't unstall it until it is proven safe .... be happy with what you have now

just keep updating the patches to keep your PC save !! happy.gif

and GERMS clean !!