Sign in to follow this  
evo

Can Grados be repaired in Singapore?

my SR60s are suffering from intermittent transmission, sometimes i can't hear the left side, sometimes the right side

most likely a loose connection

the thick and unwieldy cable has been the only black mark on what has been a wonderful intro to quality headphones for me

is there a aftermarket solution to the cables, especially the left-right connector

does musicbydesign provide repair services?

anybody tried it?

I am sure Music by Design do provide repair services if you have purchased the Sr60s from them. Otherwise, it would be best if you can give them a call at 63343981.

Of course they will. However what you describe - ie intermittent on both channels - may mean the problem lies in 1/8 inch connector (ie jack). In which case MBD being the agent would have to replace the whole cable. An alternative is to do it yourself. Just buy a good 1/8 or 1/4 inch jack and cut the old jack off. Tip of jack is left channel, middle portion is right channel and the rear is ground.

No. I called them about a month ago and they said that it was better for me to replace my SR80. I did not purchase mine from the agent here in S'pore. Mine had no sound coming from one side. I checled the Web for a DIY solution and in the end, I broke the whole thing while trying to take it apart. I liked my SR80 very much but the reaction from the agent here drove me not to purchase a replacement from them. I ended up with a Sennheisser HD595.

Good service is generally NOT available in Singapore.

But you can't really blame the agent since u did not get it from them.

Well if you eventually decided against the grados because of the agent, it'd be just one less business for the agent but one big loss for yourself. Is it even worth it?

It's weird, I never had any problems doing business with Music By Design. As a matter of fact I do feel that they provide one of the best after and before sales services around.

No. I called them about a month ago and they said that it was better for me to replace my SR80. I did not purchase mine from the agent here in S'pore. Mine had no sound coming from one side. I checled the Web for a DIY solution and in the end, I broke the whole thing while trying to take it apart. I liked my SR80 very much but the reaction from the agent here drove me not to purchase a replacement from them. I ended up with a Sennheisser HD595.

Good service is generally NOT available in Singapore.

If you were to evaluate what the agent told you you would probably find that it is indeed good advice. First off as the Grado Agent they are obligated to repair it such a manner that it should be exactly the same as any other SR80. As such they would have to use genuine parts and the repaired unit should meet grado's standards. That would mean right down to the matching of the drivers (all Grado headphones come with matched pairs of transducers). So either they get a matched pair of drivers for you or they would have to send it back to Grado in the US to get a single driver (matched to your existing unspoilt driver). Either way it's gonna be expensive.

Let's say you go the 2 driver route (the cheaper and more sensible route) - that's gonna set you back at least S$100). And that excludes any service charges which in Singapore are a minimum of around S$50. So for say S$150 you would have fixed your SR-80 BUT with no warrenty and old pads which may or may not need replacing. Indeed it would have been better to get a new pair because you would receive a 1-yr warrenty (usually calculated at 15 - 20% of product value) and the fact that you would be getting a new pair of pads with a new grado SR-80. A new pair of pads cost about S$20 or S$25 (can't remember off hand).

As for good service. I have had several experiences with the Grado Agent in Singapore and all I can say is it varies from very good to excellent (I'm talking about after-sales service as well). They have always gone out of their way to fix any problem I had. Of course, I guess, I acknowledge that the fact that I bought my equipment from them had somthing to do with it as well.

Frankly, if they had wanted to make money out of ya they could have easily accepted you product in for repair and given you a quote (as above) and then charged you a small fee for not proceeding with the repair. The fact that they did not do this, like at so many other service centres, speaks volumes for their intregrity.