Sign in to follow this  
Hamsterer

HD650 Vs Beyer DT880?

Hamsterer, I gather U have auditioned a pair of DT880 in stock condition and liked it as it is. Have U ever considered how would the cans turn out sonically with the Cardas cable upgrade? I don't have experience with this cable and perhaps those who have could chip in. However, I do know Cardas interconnects and speaker cables lean toward the warmer/thicker side of sound and if this trait is true for the Cardas headphone cable, U might find the combination sounding closer to HD650.

Just some food for thought.

Incidentally, I own the 2 aforementioned headphones and used them on classical music. My collection in this genre is largely late 1960-early 1990 recordings. I find that HD650 has better layering than DT880. However, given the huge price difference and performance in all areas, the latter offers better balue for money. Also, the 650 also needs more muscle from the headamp to drive them optimally.

Edited by Mackie

I am actually very well acquainted with the Smurf cable having used it with my HD600s all this while. I believe they'll do a good job with the DT880 taking into account the differences heard between it and the stock HD600 cables. Of course, you are right. There's still that risk there.

I understand one of the forum members did a DIY canare cable upgrade. Hmm.. I might want to try that using my existing HD600 cardas cable.

Individual sonic traits, such as layering and so on, yes the HD650 may be able to outdo the DT880. However it is the overall sound, the overall sonic flavour of the HD650 that I find disagreeable.

I was actually quite impressed when I listened to individual orchestral tracks here and there. However their flaws started to show while listening to full works. I find music appreciation difficult due to the nature of the sound.

But I'd like to comment that I actually love the HD650s with pop and jazz, which I listen to occasionally.

I'm also considering shelling out extra dough. Trying to get my hands on a ATH-W2002. I may pop over to Music by Design and audition the RS-1s as well.

What is your opinion of the ATH-W2002? I doubt I'll prefer it to the DT880, but I am just keeping my options open.

Edited by Hamsterer

Sorry I have no experience with ATH cans and rightly so since I'm able to get Beyer cans at discounted prices, it's real hard for me to look at other makes without looking at the economic scale and value for money factor. tongue.gif

Hello,

I used to own a Marantz CD-7 source paired up with a heavily modded Sugden headmaster driving a pair of HD600 with the cardas smurf cable.

I felt I wanted more resolution and dynamics with my music thus I recently sold off the headmaster amp.

I generally listen to orchestral music and operas.

I'm keeping the source but I am considering changing the cans. I'm thinking of the new Grace 902 for amplification.

For the phones, I have narrowed my choices down to the HD650 or the DT880. What do you recommend?

My findings so far:

DT880

-extremely high resolution

-great dynamics, speed and pace ( This is important to me. I enjoy listening to a great orchestra(e.g berlin philharmonic+karajan) blaze through a fast and furious modern piece. Also with this quality I can truely appreciate the nuances of the playing of great musicians. Ability to compare the playing of various great musicians and orchestras.)

-ability to hear bass lines(something I value alot. With the old HD600s I generally can't really hear what the double basses and cellos are playing in loud complex orchestral pieces. Tho the fault could lie in the sugden.)

HD650

So far what I read of this phone is that it is basically a souped up 600?

I generally dislike overly smooth and syrupy systems. before I moved over to headphones, I preferred SS over tubes in general.

Therefore any suggestions? I read of much comparisons between the DT880 and HD600. Seems like the DT880 suits my tastes better. However how does it compare with the HD650?

While searching the forum, I stumbled across this post by a poster named Mackie:

"FWIW, I dumped HD600 for DT880 and now, I'm completely bowled over by HD650. I can't imagine how glorious the cans will sound after a cable upgrade to Zu Mobious, Cardas, Equinox etc. "

So the HD650 triumphs over the DT880 in all aspects? Please advise and discuss.

Thanks and cheers

Hi

Since you are a classical fan, then you should consider AKG 501. I was a sceptic at first, but after having heard it, it does a fantastic job on classical. Not recommended for pop though.

Also since you prefer faster sound, another possibility is the Grado 325, which you can audition at MBD.

Either of these 2 cans would IMO be more suitable than either the HD650 or the DT880.

Hi

Since you are a classical fan, then you should consider AKG 501. I was a sceptic at first, but after having heard it, it does a fantastic job on classical. Not recommended for pop though.

Also since you prefer faster sound, another possibility is the Grado 325, which you can audition at MBD.

Either of these 2 cans would IMO be more suitable than either the HD650 or the DT880.

The AKG 501's are a little bass shy. If he finds that the DT931 is bass shy out of whichever amp he used, I doubt he'd find more bass in the K501's.

The Grado SR325's are painfully bright. Not exactly what you'd use for his prefered genre of music. OTOH, the RS-1's and HP-1's lean much closer to neutrality and I'd recommend them. A good compromise is actually the SR-225's. They're only slightly bright but have the pace and speed.

Hi

Since you are a classical fan, then you should consider AKG 501.  I was a sceptic at first, but after having heard it, it does a fantastic job on classical.  Not recommended for pop though.

The AKG 501's are a little bass shy. If he finds that the DT931 is bass shy out of whichever amp he used, I doubt he'd find more bass in the K501's.

The Grado SR325's are painfully bright. Not exactly what you'd use for his prefered genre of music. OTOH, the RS-1's and HP-1's lean much closer to neutrality and I'd recommend them. A good compromise is actually the SR-225's. They're only slightly bright but have the pace and speed.

Though the 501s maybe bass shy, their timbre accuracy on strings is quite extraordinary. On chamber pieces, its very good. I still stand by this recommendation.

While you may find the 325 bright, I think its a matter of personal taste and matching electronics. In an appropriately matched system, its not bright at all. In any case, if you consider the 225 slightly bright, then we agree on this point already.

Best for him to audition these cans for himself.

But I wonder are headroom reputable dealers? Check out this complaint by an overseas customer from netherlands...

Headroom has got a very good reputation, just check out head-fi. That's probably one of the few complaints I have seen in a very long time.

In any case, did you purchase the DT880 from Mackie? It's certainly a good deal, but you might also want to consider the other recommendations.

Edited by Absolute0

I have ordered the etymotics ER4S + Total Airhead (3xAAA) & AKG K1000 (with some misc accessories for my etys) from Headroom. All shipped using FedEx International.

So how? Any problems? Did the ER4S smell of earwax when you got them?? fear.gif Sorry I just had to ask. lol.gif

Sorry I don't understand what you meant there. I guess didn't convey myself properly, I ordered new items from them & when they arrived I had no qualms about questioning Headroom's integrity concerning the items they sent me.