Sign in to follow this  
digi01

gilmore BB makes diary

This amp has one serious downside, the HEAT problem.

it output as much heat as a tube power amp. and the heat will produce audible noise in the signal. which give me headache.. i have tried ways to cool it down..

1.putting a fan blowing at it, which is not practical and might introduce microphonics noise to the vibration cables..

2. heat sink, i have no idea how to mount heatsink onto bunch of transistor, so just stack a few on top of it.. even though, they are too hot to touch, as hot as my Athlon.

note that's my original athlon heatsink.

user posted image

How does the actual gilmore design deal with the heat problem? I've never heard of any other gilmore amp overheating to the point of affecting the sound.

the other gilmore amp used 1815/1015 for output stage,them setting in low bias,Yes the gilmore amp really makes hot but not too hot than digi01's BB.because digi's amp is a over version with high bias current.

实际上,很多class a的放大器都很热,手指放上就会烫伤 yucky.gif 热量是正常的。实在担心,安置heatsink也可以。但要注意每个晶体管都要和heatsink保持接触,不然个别晶体管的温度会出现异常,造成机器工作不稳定甚至损坏。

after some test, i conclude that is that red/green wire that cause problem, when the transistor heated up, it heats up the wire as well (might cause vibration or resonance i think). after i isolate the wire from the heat source by a card board, the noise is gone. but, the heat is really unbearable after half an hour.

the other gilmore amp used 1815/1015 for output stage,them setting in low bias,Yes the gilmore amp really makes hot but not too hot than digi01's BB.because digi's amp is a over version with high bias current.

实际上,很多class a的放大器都很热,手指放上就会烫伤 yucky.gif 热量是正常的。实在担心,安置heatsink也可以。但要注意每个晶体管都要和heatsink保持接触,不然个别晶体管的温度会出现异常,造成机器工作不稳定甚至损坏。

aha! so all huangyong needs to do is to reduce the biasing to more acceptable levels then?

aha! so all huangyong needs to do is to reduce the biasing to more acceptable levels then?

那样做可以降低温度,但是这台机器独特的音色也会随之失去 happy.gif

那样做可以降低温度,但是这台机器独特的音色也会随之失去 happy.gif

Then Huanyong needs a powerful air conditioner in his room. tongue.gif

Hey..i found a new way to play with this amp..

user posted image

This amp is incredible, even with 1W power(spec given by digi01) it can drive my KEF Q15 to reasonable loudness, bass and attack is amazingly good....

The amp is slightly better with +/- connection, which means using the balanced output rather than SingleEnded output with just output/Ground.

This is how i connect.

user posted image

Fresno bob, really thanks. i've been looking for this for long time.. but i do not own credit card, may be someone here can help me buy? tongue.gif

previously, the amp suffered from a bit of hiss at the right channel, so i do some mod to the amp to make it better.

Change all the power cable to better ones, to make make me feel better wink.gif

original cable supplied by digi01 is too thin and i don't think it's good. so change all to cable that able to conduct 11A continuos. COOL huh,,see the thick red and blue cable??

user posted image

forget to mention, this cable is medical grade, according to my lecturer..

Edited by huangyong