Sign in to follow this  
Barradio

Musical Fidelity X-24K and ACT

Just did a brief research. The ACT is an 20 bit dac while X-24K dac upsamples to 24 bit 96KHz.

Edited by Mackie

Just did a brief research. The ACT is an 18-bit dac while X-24K is a 24 bit dac.

Thanks Mackie, I am right the ACT is the earlier version of the Musical Fidelity DAC?

Hmm...Mackie, i think the sequence of events, based on my quick recall from reviews in some hifi magazines, are :

1. X-ACT : launched before 1996

2. X-DAC : using 18-bit Burr Brown Converter with PMD-100 HDCD chipset (reviewed in May 1997 Stereophile)

3. X-24k : using 24-bit Burr Brown PCM1716 without HDCD decoder (reviewed in February 1999 Stereophile) X-24K

Just for info. wink.gif

Ah...U're right.....X-DAC and not X-24.......I know something did not seem right in my sequence but can't find the button. blush.gif

Hi Barradio and Mackie,

I think there is another (most recent) DA converter from Musical Fidelity called A3 24 DA Processor. It incorporates upsampling of upto 192kHz. So the quality improves much more than what you could get from X-24k or X-DAC, although its price is more than double that of X-24k.

MF A3 24 DA Processor

Alpha Audio is the agent : 63379010, #01-16 Adelphi. wink.gif

Yes, the A3 24/192 dac belongs to the A3/3.2 series and costs $2190. It will take a real fanatic to add this unit into a cans setup but then again, there are lots of them around here....starting with tee? lol.gif

Any one checked out the Chord DAC64. Apparently it is 64 bit conversion and it costs all of my limbs.

Hahaha....Mackie, me not alone.....lengcm's Chord DAC64 is also a premium grade DAC that has costed , i think, only fingers, not arms and legs, to our dear friend. I never made it to overseas for study you know.

Maybe we should have some swap programs for DAC or CDP one day.

wink.gif

Sorry I dun own the Chord DAC64 and I dun think I ever will until I strike 1st prize 4D or toto... wink.gif

Edited by lengcm

Haha, just joking lengcm......what is your favourite DAC that you are playing ? wink.gif

No $$$ to buy DAC, just the one the comes with my NAD 541i. May get one if I manage to get rid of my sudgen.

Edited by lengcm

lengcm, don't keep thinking of getting rid of the sugden. As yet, I'm not sure if this amp is the cause of your sonic displeasure. Please bring your amp back to S'pore to avert an impending mistake.

Btw, if one has a great sounding cdp, an outboard dac is not necessary. Having a dac in the link increases jitter errors and to complicate things a bit, more money has to be spent on interconnects and digital cables. A DIP would be required if jitter errors were to reach audible proportions.

However, if one has a solid transport but old dac stage, an outboard will be very ideal to update the combo to the latest technology.

Hi, Mackie, I am not getting rid of the sudgen becasue it does not sound good. It does performed very well to my expectations after I changed the HD600 stock cable to the Equinox. In addition, I have just realised, I should not off the Sudgen all the time and that I should leave it on.

Anyway the reason now for getting rid of the sudgen is because my modded X-cans sounds sound much better then the sudgen. Will let you have a go at my MaXed Cans and you will know what I am talking about. Last but not least, I need the money for something else. Will post a proper review of the MaXed Cans after my exams. One more paper to go and I am born free w00t.gif