evil-zen

bad audio memory?

Upon getting my etys, i raved at how good they are. true they are certainly the best cans i tried so far, having unrivalled detail, punchy but not visceral bass. the only lacking is soundstage but is somehow compensated by its imaging and its ability to sound like its coming from inside your head. Head Music is what i like to describe them.

However, sometimes i switch between my AKG and Sony and i find that they are not bad too. True, these headphones does not have fantastic details and other good points which i like on the etys, but i find that i can quickly adapt and still enjoy the bliss coming through. after that i just simply enjoy the music and not care about bass, soundstage and other technical descriptions of sound.

Is it because of music? or is it because my ears are not trained to constantly tell the differences between each and other headphones after sometime? or is it because of i've reached my 'destination' and know what's best for me? do note that i've not tried many headphones with the exception of those at the sg meet and those i listed above and in my profile.

Does anyone have the same experience and can tell me what's going on?

Has to be true enjoyment of the music. Example, the eggos are flawed/coloured but very enjoyable. Also non headphone related... when you listen to the radio/mini compo et al, notice sometimes if not always you tap your feet?

Hm...I also raved about how good the etys are...

sure.. they are fantastic.. good imaging, extremely good detail and all.. but I just can't get used to the microphonic and the trouble when putting them in.

I still prefer the beyer due to their more comfortable and less trouble in putting em on. Also, I tap my feet when listening to the beyer. Like with some rock. the bass comes very nice and kicking, I find myself immersed in the music.

With the etys, I don't really find myself tapping(coz I need to stay still, otherwise it will fall off). I enjoy the music through the etys too.. but it's just way too inconvenient for me.

Be discernible if U wish to scrutinize on the recordings like a mastering engineer. Otherwise, just listen to the music. That's why we have a new term PRat to describe how the body flows and feet tapping to the music. If U are experiencing this, U are no doubt in sonic heaven. Why bother if the white can be whiter and the black blacker?

zen, your findings prove no cans can be superior with all kinds of music. However, don''t go overboard by having one kinda cans for each type of music...unless U're bloody rich! w00t.gif

your findings prove no cans can be superior with all kinds of music.

Mackie,

Thats what the Behringer DSP 8024 can do! Make a neutral pair of headphones/speakers sound better when equalized for each music genre or even cd if you have the time to!

As I am typing this, I am listening to the sixpence none the richer - kiss me on koss ksc-35

It makes me tapping my feet.

The opening guitar strum.. D major then D7 D6 .. is very very realistic and nice.

Plus the vocal... so sweet

I connect my koss to the creek jack-1 and to my marantz.

I cannot believe this thing costs 40 dollars. To me, this sounds like 100-200 dollars headphone.

I remembered way back when I wrote abt the etys.. I said it's very detailed.. now this koss can never touch etys on detail.. but it has 'presence' and fun.With the etys, I am listening to the music on hi fidelity, but on this baby, I am enjoying the music, albeit not so hi fi.

So, my conclusion, hi fi/expensive eqpt does not always equal enjoyment.

happy.gif

Guyferd,

Some people take much longer time and money to get to what you've learnt. Example, ME! I enjoy all kinds of music so much more on my grado cans than my previous $$$ stereo setup...

Now they tell me Sonus Faber is the speaker equivalent of Grados... and i hate the brand... damn...

Mackie,

Thats what the Behringer DSP 8024 can do! Make a neutral pair of headphones/speakers sound better when equalized for each music genre or even cd if you have the time to!

Fishball,

I concur. After the auto-q process, I've tweaked the adjustments to complement music of different genres based on my own benchmark cds. I've also superimposed these programs with freq resp of my speakers (concerning rolloffs) and others with BBC dip for older and bright recordings. Fun fun fun......major objective is not to change the sound but to compensate for the far from flat-response of some recordings.