Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

just got my sennheisr hd600 initial impressions

huangyong, don't worry, won't kill you la.... To answer your question, I am using a Marantz CD 63 KI MkII for my source. I also have a Rega Planet, but I use that solely for my speaker set up.

Hmm...HD-600. A very difficult headphone to drive properly (sure you'll find a lot of amps that can make it go loud). But to be able to drive the HD-600 properly you'll need to spend more than $200 bucks, I'm afraid.

The Spark Audio/Cayin (same thing) HA-1A, Corda HA-1 and Grado RA-1 all do a decent job of amplifying this headphone. If u are not willing to get any of the above, try a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 (I can sorta tolerate the HD-600 with the X-Can V2 esp if all the e-Caps have been upgraded).

I recently purchased (more for the goofy looks which I kinda like) an X-Can V2 and upgraded the el cheapo taiwanese Jamicon 85 degree caps on the PSU to low impedence Panasonic FC (6 pieces), Elna Cerafines (2 pieces) and Rubycon FKZ (2 pieces). And on the signal side I upgraded the stock Jamicon with 6 pieces of Elna Silmic (4 x 100uF 50 volt and 2 x 10uF 50 volt) and 4 pieces of Nichicon MUSE ES. I'm currently tube rolling.

So, it (the X-Can V2 may not be so cheap after all the work and money put into it). It still lags behind the Cayin/Spark HA-1A for instance and I still prefer the sound of my Corda HA-1A to it.

Please note I'm still not recommending the X-Can in it's stock form. With the upgrades and some tube rolling it's okay for the Senn HD-600. I still dont like it with other headphones like the Beyer DT-931. And as always YMMV.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Rameish

maybe also get one of the diy'ers to build you up a pimeta or ppa clone? even with cheap low impedance headphones they make a world of difference. the difference with the more expensive higher impedance cans would be huge~! wub.gif