Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

just got my sennheisr hd600 initial impressions

jus got it at 210, the pads one of em has a little cut, but doesnt affect audio quality, the only thing im not reli satisfied with, is the headphone plug went thru some abuse, the metal like got cuts here and there, the metal grail protecting the drivers got a tiny bit of black paint fading off, the drivers inside the grail a little dusty. the box on the other hand is in damn good condition. the pads looks pretty worn, i am pretty sure this headphones went thru more than 30hrs run in time, more like 100hrs dat kind. dunno why he say 30hrs nia.

i dun haf an amp to test it out, but i used my creative nomad zen nx jukebox mp3player to drive it, at volume 23/25, suprisingly its very loud, but the sound is damn crappy, bass is totally pathetic, highs a little too sharp, only thing dats making me happy is the soundstage is damn huge compared to grado, i dunno if its becos i haven run it with an amp and dat im using a portable mp3 player to drive it. will continue to run it in until i get my amp, by then i will give a full impression on this set of cans, and fuwen can u pm me the price ur fren is willing to let go of his olbach headphone cable.

a question: may i know if the metal grail can be opened, i wanna sweep away the dust..

thanks

i wonder if the difference in running it with a cd player+amp is alot better than just running it out of a portable mp3player, the volume quite loud liao leh, the mp3player seems to drive it pretty well

well its a high impedance headphone (300 or 320 iirc) and portable players are only designed to drive low impedance loads generally. so if you put an amp in between your source and headphones it will make a large difference. the amp can drive the headphones and the source is simply loaded by the amp (depending on what amp and its parts etc, the load varies greatly). it will make a large difference especially with a high end headphone like that. something like a pimeta or ppa would suffice, but a gilmore lite would be perfect !

Maybe all he needs is the AudioValve RKV mkii w00t.giflol.giflol.gif

Blues, I think papaya86 will kill u once he find out what RKV is, or cost, or ...... smile.gif

the cable for this headphones seriously looks like crap, so thin. somemore use 1/8 connector, all the big cans i've seen use the 1/4 connector, the audio valve isit the amp mackie is using, it looks really cool but abit too colourful, im waiting for digi01's amp, by then with a decent cd player, ill see wad it can do. i feel like bringin the headphones down to new_type's place to test leh, heard from him he borrowed a kickass cd player from blues. but later listen to his setup and compare with my own sure sian 1/2.

i went down to the fellas place to collect the headphones, i tried his cd player, a sony 3000 cd player forgot the exact model name, looks reli sleek, gold in colour, need to slide open a "door" to put the cd in. funny thing is dat he puts 4 little wobbly stuff under the 4 corners of the cd player, the whole cd player when playing was wobbling around like bu dao wong. when i asked him why he put those 4 things instead of just placing it on a flat surface, he said something like it reduces(or was it increases) resonance. hell those 4 little pieces costed him 60 bucks, i think enginnering students from tp also can make. and he also had 3 foam pieces pasted on his wall for his speaker setup, wah kao eh 400 bucks for 3 pieces of foam, thats like 200 plates of chicken rice for 3 pieces of foam. seriously this hobby can kill sia

Edited by papaya86

4 little wobbly stuff under the 4 corners of the cd player, the whole cd player when playing was wobbling around like bu dao wong....hell those 4 little pieces costed him 60 bucks,

3 foam pieces pasted on his wall for his speaker setup, wah kao eh 400 bucks for 3 pieces of foam, thats like 200 plates of chicken rice for 3 pieces of foam.

lol.gif Love the way u describe those things, 200 plates of chicken rice for sonic nirvana

Blues, I think papaya86 will kill u once he find out what RKV is, or cost, or ...... 

Nah papaya86 should throw away the HD600 and get the Sennheiser HEV-90 system. w00t.gifwhistling.gif

i wonder if the difference in running it with a cd player+amp is alot better than just running it out of a portable mp3player, the volume quite loud liao leh, the mp3player seems to drive it pretty well

Simple answer: "YES!" When I first bought mine I was unable to use a proper CDP let alone an amp with it. I only had access to a PCDP. Then directly out of my CDP it didn't sound much better but at least the sound was louder. When I finally got my first (proper) headphone amp (even with the stock cables) it was quite a revelation for me.

Forget RKV! On a budget, a decent CDP from Marantz + MG Head OTL + HD600 will sound sublime!

I wonder how many dishes of chicken rice papaya86 will work out upon knowing the cost of RKV......probably feed him 3 meals for a whole month.

It baffles me how so much dust can settle on the grill when there's a box to store the set.

the hd600 is used for his office setup, he must have left it around in the open. i just borrowed my dads denon amplifier for his speakers and connected it to my mp3 player, bass became very punchy, but its still crap for rock music. very laid back and slow compared to grado. one thing i noticed after connecting the amp, the "low bass" (dunno if this term exists not) goes really deep compared to the grado. seems to me other than boosting the bass, this denon amplifier does nothin else. isit safe to say hd600 really sucks in fast paced music? even my grado sr80 outshines it for rock music, pretty saddening sia although i also listen to genres like blues and classical.

and heres a pic that totally cracked me up bad, seriously funny to me. it'll be so cool to go out with that on.

post-2-1103705931.jpg

Edited by papaya86