Sign in to follow this  
Username

AMP tutorial for dummy

I can't read electrical diagrams, but I am interested in buidling a simple CMOY amp, budget up to 50 bucks.

I need someone to teach me how to fix jumpers/solders and stuff. And place to acquire the basic amp components.

Can anyone help me? Thanks. biggrin.gif

I hope I am not asking too much innocent.gif

If you are really interested in DIY or learning more electonics, I will suggest you to learn more theoretical knowledge first, since doing practical work at this stage will not be very helpful for you to gain knowledge about electronics.

If you are practical and just want to get a value amp (since 50 bucks will not buy you any commercial amp), then I will suggest you to pay someone to do it for you. I believe there's definitely someone here willing to make you a Cmoy with OPA2134 or OPA2228 for $50 or less.

i think you will spend more than $100 for your first project because you have to gather all the tools before you can make a good amp.

I feel for ya but....

First do you know how to use a multimeter?

Second do you know how to solder?

Third do you understand this about capacitors:

The 'Charge' is called the amount of stored electricity on the plates, or actually the electric field between theses plates, and is proportional to the applied voltage and capacitor's 'capacitance'.

The Formula to calculate the amount of capacitance is Q = C * V where:

Q = Charge in Coulombs

C = Capacitance in Farads

V = Voltage in Volts

There is also something else involved when there is 'charge', something stored called 'Energy'.

The formula to calculate the amount of energy is: W = V2 * C / 2 where:

W = Energy in Joules

V = Voltage in Volts

C = Capacitance in Farads

If the answer to all three is yes then go get someone to teach you but for 50 bucks you'll probably get one or two lessons (not sufficient no. of lessons).

I think if you increased your budget to say S$150 or so, a somewhat reputable DIYer might be able to build an ok amp for ya.

Edited by Rameish

You can order online from Farnell.

BTW, if the whole object of this exercise is just to get a cheap amp, and not so much to gain knowledge and the enjoyment of assembling one, it'd really be much cheaper and less frustrating to cough up the money and buy a decent one of a reputable diyer such as Norm from headsave.com. DIYing your own amp is not as simple as it looks!

Check out the thread below:

Cmoy building thread

Edited by av98m

The ans to your question is................................................................................................................. read the thread yeah.gif almost everything you might want to ask now and in the near future is in there. And like av98m mentioned, if you need a cheap amp, just find someone to help you, its much less of a hassle. Attempting to build your own amp is fun, but utimately pointless if you can't get it to work nicely. wink.gif

Neh, no one's trying to prevent you from trying. We're just giving you a potential heads up happy.gif . But don't spend too much if you can't get it to .work

Neh, no one's trying to prevent you from trying. We're just giving you a potential heads up happy.gif . But don't spend too much if you can't get it to .work

yap smile.gif if u already got the basic tools then go for it smile.gif u can find eveything u need in SLT although they may not be the best components for a good amp, at least they will work if u get it right party.gif

Well both a multimeter and soldering iron is a must. Even the cheapest will cost about S$35 for both, then you'll have about S$15 for parts. Even using the cheapest components it's gonna be a bit difficult to meet your budget.

Anyways read the thread and good luck.

a multimeter and soldering iron is a must. Even the cheapest will cost about S$35 for both

not really, an Sunwa (not Sanwa) multimeter plus a no brand solder iron should cost less than $20.