tropicalrips

Denon DCD-685 CDP

update :

i tried the power pin orientation and measured the difference with my digital multimeter, i got about 11v AC from 1 direction, when i turn the cable the other way round i measured about 14v, so i left in in the 11v position

can't say if i hear any difference... sleep.gif maybe due to the type of music i listen to yes.gif moslty instrumental stuff, but its still godd to know that everything is in its correct place tongue.gif

Mackie, i hav check with Merdeka on the Pioneer DV-696a, there's no such model unsure.gif but there is a DV-969 smile.gif is that the model u're looking for? anyway quoted price for the DV-969 is around $1300 +/- looks like a very high-end DVD player

post-2-1104584748.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

Here goes:

1. Disconnect interconnects from your cdp.

2. Power up your cdp.

3. Set multimeter to ACV 10V range and clinch the black probe with your fingers and touch the red probe on the ground point of audio-output RCA socket.

4. Record the reading shown on multimeter.

5. Power down cdp, remove power plug, reverse it and reinsert to wall outlet.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

7. The one which gives the lower reading confirms position of the power plug relative to wall outlet is in correct polarity.

Note: If the stock 2-pin power cord is the removable kind and not directly soldered to the cdp, make sure U mark the two ends ie. to cdp and wall outlet.

Is the changes tangible or psychological? U decide but I can give U a hint as to what U should look out for. Play a cd with a strong vocal image and sparse instrumental to help U focus better. The position of the power cord which results in a stronger center image of the voice often indicates polarity is correct. Conversely, reverse polarity gives an artifical spacious and airy sound with the vocal notably stretched sideways and thus less focused.

p.s. tropicalrips: Is Eddie still working for Merdeka? I'm looking to buy a Pioneer DV-696a dvd player, could U get a quote for me? Thanks.

Actually, you place the probe onto any object that's earthed. Or the earth pin in the mains socket. Then touch the player's case/ ground point with the other probe.

WOW.. does it also affect speakers??

It affects all hifi component. I actually did a test by reversing all the polarities of components in my speakers system and the resultant sound is rather echoey and "cavey", if U get what I mean. Aside from 2-pin power cords, check on power cords that are terminated with Hubbel plugs as American and UK standards on neutral and live points are reversed.

Edited by Mackie

Actually, you place the probe onto any object that's earthed. Or the earth pin in the mains socket. Then touch the player's case/ ground point with the other probe.

Thanks for your input. Those who are interested to check on polarities can use either Firefox or my way, whichever is more convenient.

tropicalrips and kahchun: Thanks for your help. The highlighted dvdps are on my watch list since the Panasonic RP82 motor went kaput. sigh..........

tropicalrips: Have U tried playing some vocal stuff? From your high readings, I reckon the difference should be quite significant.

Edited by Mackie

tropicalrips: Have U tried playing some vocal stuff? From your high readings, I reckon the difference should be quite significant.

i'm still in the process of tweaking my amp smile.gif with the new CDP, the flaws of the amp is more evident hammer.gif

vocals stuff that i hav like Sarah Mclachan & Shawn Colvin sounded ok, its the faster/louder stuff that i don't like when using the amp

Hey tropicalrips, this cdp looks well endowed at this price. Any feedback on its characteristics sonically?

Thanks for your input. Those who are interested to check on polarities can use either Firefox or my way, whichever is more convenient.

Actually, I suggest this because it's more appropriate. The human body does generate some electricity and might affect the readings.

The most foolproof method is to open the equipment (SWITCH OFF AND DISCHARGE 1ST!!) and trace the live/ neutral wire using a multimeter.

Hey tropicalrips, this cdp looks well endowed at this price. Any feedback on its characteristics sonically?

happy.gif i'm not good at writing details on sound characteristics, but one thing i know is that i'm listening to all my CDs again cause they sound good now with the new player, i'm hearing new details that was not there before when using my sony mini compo as a CDP.

i guess the player sounds more neutral, its also warmer compared to the sony and i don't get tired listening to it, i hav also made some changes to my amp... happy.gif rewired the buffers placing them within the feedback loop, this seems to giv giv the amp more punch when driving the HD595

nice new player! and hmmm, to be honest, i actually prefer champagne gold to black. wink.gif