tropicalrips

Denon DCD-685 CDP

i hav more or less decided on the CDP that i'm going to get, this will be paired with my desktop buffered cmoy smile.gif

now just need that final push from u guys tongue.gif

for the DCD-685G, i was quoted S$375 today (SLS), but they only had it in gold, otherwise i would hav a new player now wink.gif

anyone knows if the price is resonable? i hav yet to ask those that i know in SLS so the final price should be better. i'm not looking for a "high end" player, just one thats within my budget with resonable sound quality, the Denon meets my budget requirement, but i hav not heard how it sounds like, can anyone comment on its sound?

user posted image

DCD-685

there was also a Marantz CD6000 in the shop but it was over budget ($480) mellow.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Looks pretty good on specifications. Comments on this link is pretty decent too.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/favourite_cd.shtml

Quote" Denon DCD-685 $699

Denon doesn't make too many CD players these days and while this machine is a step above the entry level in price, it is a large step up in what it does musically. The DCD-685 has a very natural sound and one that seems to fit in with most systems. The Denon has great detail, lovely midrange and nice detailed top end, with great bass line detail and a general feel of involvement in the music.

Denon's typical build quality and bullet proof reliability top off a player that is easily overlooked. Its modest appearence may fool you into thinking its just another mid-priced player but have listen and you will find this little guy punches well above its weight. " Unquote

thanks Mackie smile.gif i bought the 685 today wub.gif decided not to wait for a black one

some of the features that i like about the player :

display dimmer, 3 steps - can also turn off the display completely

adjustable output levels

pitch control - not sure what this does tongue.gif havn't read the manual lol.gif

it has a headphone jack which actually sounds quite good as well

user posted image

here u can see the main controls of the player, nothing fancy, simply logical layout, the knob is a jog dial to skip tracks quickly, the output level can only be adjusted with the remote

user posted image

centre loading tray, the mechanism is a little loud though, maybe its because its late at night and there less noise around me tongue.gif

user posted image

shot here with my desktop amp, the pairing sounds good to me, at least its better then the Sony mini-compo that i was using, the output level at 0 is higher then the sony, i had to reduce the volume on my amp to get my normal listening level, i first thought the setup will look weired with a black amp + gold player, but now it looks ok, maybe its because i like the color of the Denon tongue.gif its not really "gold" looks a little faded, almost a silver tone, the lights in the shop made it look more "golden" lol.gif

i like the way the setup sounds now smile.gif DCD685 + buffered Cmoy + Senn595 wub.gif

user posted image

i'll be building a small shelf so the amp can sit away from the player cause i think it looks better alone laugh.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

pitch control - not sure what this does  havn't read the manual

pitch control is deemed mandatory for pro-audio use. U might wanna try it for fun and see if U can turn Norah Jones into a chipmunk. Otherwise, leave the control at detent (0 level).

Btw, if both fixed and variable output are available, connect your amp to the former as signal from the latter would have to go through extra attenuation circuitry. However, the latter is useful if U wish to control the volume from a distance via remote or to connect the cdp direct to a power amp and bypass a pre-amp in speakers system.

It certainly looks like a good bargain considering the much higher prices quoted on Western sites. It also exudes quality. If the set comes with a stock 2-pin power cord, please ensure this is connected to the wall socket in the correct polarity. Yes, polarity of neutral-live only cables must be respected. The difference is telling if U know what to look for.

Lastly, where did U get this set from? Those who are interested can follow your lead.

On the color, we call it champagne gold.

Edited by Mackie

Well, the equipment will still work but it affects the sound. Audiophile thingey........... always to try to squeeze the last drop of quality possible. tongue.gif

Edited by Mackie

That mean the plug with show which side is the + which is the -?? then hwo do we know our wall socket which side is + and which side is -?? left +?? right -??

happy.gif got it from Merdeka in SLS

there's only 1 pair of output on the player, does not hav an extra fixed level connector

on the 2-pin power cord...i know which is live/neutral on the wall socket, but not sire how to figure out L/N on the player...do i hav to look at the transformer inside the player? there's also no indecation on the player itself.

Here goes:

1. Disconnect interconnects from your cdp.

2. Power up your cdp.

3. Set multimeter to ACV 10V range and clinch the black probe with your fingers and touch the red probe on the ground point of audio-output RCA socket.

4. Record the reading shown on multimeter.

5. Power down cdp, remove power plug, reverse it and reinsert to wall outlet.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

7. The one which gives the lower reading confirms position of the power plug relative to wall outlet is in correct polarity.

Note: If the stock 2-pin power cord is the removable kind and not directly soldered to the cdp, make sure U mark the two ends ie. to cdp and wall outlet.

Is the changes tangible or psychological? U decide but I can give U a hint as to what U should look out for. Play a cd with a strong vocal image and sparse instrumental to help U focus better. The position of the power cord which results in a stronger center image of the voice often indicates polarity is correct. Conversely, reverse polarity gives an artifical spacious and airy sound with the vocal notably stretched sideways and thus less focused.

p.s. tropicalrips: Is Eddie still working for Merdeka? I'm looking to buy a Pioneer DV-696a dvd player, could U get a quote for me? Thanks.

Edited by Mackie

Hi! Mackie, why is it the pitch control mandatory for pro-audio use?

I was told it facilitates mixing purposes in studios. For instance, DJs could sample the beat of a certain song, speed it up and then mix it with vocals to produce a trance track. Hence, U can transform a ballad into a danceable song. Most, if not all, pro cdps sport pitch controls.

Edited by Mackie

Here goes:

1. Disconnect interconnects from your cdp.

2. Power up your cdp.

3. Set multimeter to ACV 10V range and clinch the black probe with your fingers and touch the red probe on the ground point of audio-output RCA socket.

4. Record the reading shown on multimeter.

5. Power down cdp, remove power plug, reverse it and reinsert to wall outlet.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

7. The one which gives the lower reading confirms position of the power plug relative to wall outlet is in correct polarity.

Note: If the stock 2-pin power cord is the removable kind and not directly soldered to the cdp, make sure U mark the two ends ie. to cdp and wall outlet.

Is the changes tangible or psychological? U decide but I can give U a hint as to what U should look out for. Play a cd with a strong vocal image and sparse instrumental to help U focus better. The position of the power cord which results in a stronger center image of the voice often indicates polarity is correct. Conversely, reverse polarity gives an artifical spacious and airy sound with the vocal notably stretched sideways and thus less focused.

p.s. tropicalrips: Is Eddie still working for Merdeka? I'm looking to buy a Pioneer DV-696a dvd player, could U get a quote for me? Thanks.

WOW.. does it also affect speakers??

thanks Mackie, i'm not sure who is Eddie, but getting a quote should be no problem, i got my Denon though my boss who deals with someone call "ah meng" i think he's the manager there unsure.gif or the boss?

Garc, i was also considering the 5300 before, its a little cheaper (quoted @ $365 from world audio) but the Denon has a few more features and i think its worth the extra $10++

i'll try the 2 pin power cord orientation to see if i can hear the difference headphone.gif