Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

integrated or tube amp

are there any integrated or tube amps that can be bought below my $150 budget? smile.gif i plan to use this for my speaker setup which is actually on my desk. i hav a pair of small KLH 8 ohm speakers mounted on the wall, its a full range passive speaker, had it for quite a few years now, never really use them.

currently the speakers is being driven by my Sony CMT EX-1 mini compo, actually i was too lazy to dissmantle the KLH speakers from the wall bracket and replace them with the original Sony speakers tongue.gif cause all the cables and brackets are already done, i intend to use the setup for my PC as well cause all those cables are also there

i think with my budget, tubes are unlikly sleep.gif i don't know if there are amps winthin my budget, don't need a high end stuff, just somthing that has ok sound...or is it more sensible to stick with the Sony?

Have not heard or seen tube amp of this price range. Lowest I ever saw was a $500 small China made tube amp at Adelphi and $600-$800 below 20W amps from Leo Singapore.

Edited by fuwen

are there any integrated or tube amps that can be bought below my $150 budget? smile.gif i plan to use this for my speaker setup which is actually on my desk. i hav a pair of small KLH 8 ohm speakers mounted on the wall, its a full range passive speaker, had it for quite a few years now, never really use them.

currently the speakers is being driven by my Sony CMT EX-1 mini compo, actually i was too lazy to dissmantle the KLH speakers from the wall bracket and replace them with the original Sony speakers tongue.gif cause all the cables and brackets are already done, i intend to use the setup for my PC as well cause all those cables are also there

i think with my budget, tubes are unlikly sleep.gif i don't know if there are amps winthin my budget, don't need a high end stuff, just somthing that has ok sound...or is it more sensible to stick with the Sony?

Yes there is actually if you don't mind a digital amp.

It is called Sonic Impact T-Amp. Cost about USD 29

There is a huge discussion in echoloft on it. They are organising a MO on it.

Don't be put off by its small size. It is baed on Class D amplification, so called digital amp. You would be surprise by its sound. Last year nearly want to get a digital amp setup from Spectron (based in US)

Well, look at the following link for some info :

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6cd8/

The thread on Echoloft is

Echoloft

Hi tropicalrips,

It's not unlikely. You are working in SLS right? The 2nd hand audio/video cum repair shop at 3rd floor may have something you want.

update :

i finally got an amp to drive the speakers smile.gif

its actually a mixer/Karaoke amp from Scandyna model SA-9000, bought from Hung Bros, i was actually looking a the Yamaha micro hifi that they are clearing stock, though the yamaha piano craft series looks better...it was beyond my budget

the Scandyna amp is rated 4 to 8 ohms 80w, 2 inputs + 2 mic inputs with tone controls

sound wise i think the speaker sound better driven by the amp then by the sony micro hifi smile.gif

here's a shot of my humble speaker setup, with the Sony micro hifi as the source, i'm slowly taking the Sony out of the setup.

cost of the new amp : $90

post-2-1106404950.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

i was thinking of building my own amp to drive the speakers, using DIY amplifier kits...

but the cost of the transformer this size and the casing alone would hav cost more then this amp, there would also be cost for other parts, heatsink...volume pot...components...its just not worth the trouble since the new amp cost less then $100

pic of the KLH speaker on my wall

post-2-1106405660.jpg

Where did u get yer speakers? Im lookin for cheap satellites n sub for my 5.1 at home. Anybody have a lobang? blush.gif

i bought those speakers about 10yrs about smile.gif i think they cost $80 a pair, i saw a pair of cheap speakers in Hung Bros $45