stopme

advice needed

a newbie here would like the advice of the pros here

i dont have a dedicated cdp to play my music and i only listen to music through my computer. im currently using the revo 7.1 with logitech z640 speakers

im thinking of getting the grados sr60 with a DIY amp to complement it.

is it a good idea? would i be under utilising it?

should i connect the diy amp directly to the sound card or if i hook it up to the centre speakers which has an output for headphones, would there be any difference?

any help would be much appreciated tongue.gif

Hi stopme, welcome. I like the SR60 and you may not need any amp with it. It is quite efficient. But if I have a diy amp, I would connect it directly to the sound card. BTW - I am not a pro here. biggrin.gif

More of a PC audio question.

Am moving this to the appropriate forum.

Have no knowledge about PC audio sound cards but your best bet is to connect it directly to the sound card. With a grado you may not even need an amp frankly.

if your sound card is not onboard, connect directly is okay, if not got a lot of electric noise.

I think is better if u hear the grado first, not many ppl take an instant liking to it.

For 50$ more, i would go for the SR80.

Me no expert too. Just my opinion

BTW, u got PM.

Edited by augustineRS

I tried connecting my headphones Beyer 880 and Ety 4S to the Revolution 7.1 and haven't heard any hiss. But that doesn't mean that you won't get any hiss with the highly sensitive grados.

And using grados with that soundcard might be overly bright. I haven't tried that combo before but previous experience with grado tells me so.

In other words, try before you buy.

@evil-zen: so do you connect your cans directly to the sound card or plug it into a headphone jack from the speaker?

i was thinking auditioning with my mp3 player should be good enough. what you say? biggrin.gif

i connect it directly to the soundcard.

hmmm mp3 player doesn't sound the same as a Revo... So if possible, try to get one to try at home.

Sound Card is good enough for your SR60. Pump it up with your EQ settings and off it goes. Ask yourself when you are listening to it attached to your PC. "is it good enough?" The thing with audio appreciation is that it never ends. You just want more. Once you get an amp for it, you'll then want better cables and so on...

If it sounds good enough, it's good enough. Unless you got dough to spare..

Listen to your wallet and head. Sometimes I myself don't know where to draw that line... wink.gif

@idfka: i agree with you. must know my limit. ive decided to get the sr60 cos i think right now i dont want to burn another 100 plus bucks on an amp

thanks for the advice! party.gif

I just hooked up a Creek OBH-21 amp to my PC's built in motherboard sound card and plugged in a Senn HD-555. It sounds really good. I think a dedicated amp makes quite a difference to the quality of the sound. Have fun!

I just hooked up a Creek OBH-21 amp to my PC's built in motherboard sound card and plugged in a Senn HD-555. It sounds really good. I think a dedicated amp makes quite a difference to the quality of the sound. Have fun!

Perhaps a sound card might be a good upgrade? I'm not talking about those pro E-Mu or M-audio cards but even a dedicated card is better than the onboard sound card don't you think? You have quiet a setup for your pc already. Get another $30 soundcard lah. biggrin.gif