Sign in to follow this  
Gahman

Pocket amp on ebay

That is the PA2V2 I mentioned in my thread. I bought it and find it has good potential. It is with Mackie now and he should be writing a review when he is done with it.

Edited by fuwen

For what its worth and if there's really a hurry in buying the PA2V2, I suggest those who use open cans on the go and mainly listen to trance or bass heavy music need not apply. This is an audiophile portable amp which aims to please the crowd who treasure finer nuances of music and sound. The merits could become moot if used with open cans as ambient noise will cancel out most of these. Relatively speaking, Porta Corda II suits these users better. Personally, I love the PA2V2 when partnered with close cans. A thorough review will follow suit in a dedicated thread. Obviously, the Porta Corda II wiil be used as a benchmark albeit the higher cost.

Edited by Mackie

You should most likely be quite happy with the PA2V2. One thing you may want to know is that the amp creats some distorsion with connecting or disconnecting connectors. So before u do anything of that sort like connecting/disconnecting interconnects or plug in or remove headphones remember to turn the volumn to the min and switch the amp off.

Fuwen>>How bad is this distortion? Cos I am thinking of getting one too since it's so cheap. Is there anyway to get rid of this distortion? Something to do with grounding the connectors? Sorry but I am not ee trained. Please advice.

Mackie, can you do a quick listen to the amp with the DT-150's? What is the synergy of the amp and the cans?

The PA2V2 features a 2.4voltage chip that is not replaceable with the other higher voltage Burr-Brown OPA series. Any take on this?

Fuwen>>How bad is this distortion? Cos I am thinking of getting one too since it's so cheap. Is there anyway to get rid of this distortion? Something to do with grounding the connectors? Sorry but I am not ee trained. Please advice.

Sorry, I am not EE trained also. The distortion I mentioned should be fine but what I mentioned is just more of a preventive measure just in case that day your luck not so good there it goes your headphone. I have encountered this before in other occassion but generally this type of distorsion is absence in the more expensive amp like my Bryston or Corda HA1 and HA2 and my HX-3 portable. These are the amps that I am using.

Regarding getting rid of the distorsion, any experts care to elaborate?

The distortion that Fuwen mentioned is a very common phenomena caused by sudden eletrical spiking, which also happens with most if not all speakers system without relays. To the purists, it's a good sign for it means lesser components on the signal path. There's no cause for concern at all. That's why all audio equipment carries warning to ensure all connections are done before they are powered up.

I've declared DT150 as my ultimate monitoring tool and as such, it was used in the assessment of the PA2V2. I've also used Grado SR80 (rock capability/low impedance) and DT440 (low impedance) in this test.

Tip of the iceberg pal. I don't write reviews that skimmed the surface and hence, the delay. (Making up an excuse for my laziness) tongue.gif

Edited by Mackie