Sign in to follow this  
idkfa

CDP Source. What's your take?

If someone can advice, I'll want to find out if it's worthwhile to upgrade to a good CDP.

Besides the ability to playback SACD, what is the tolerance or significance for quality playback for a normal CD player?

What really makes a good basic CDP (w/o DAC/Int amp/SACD/EQ..etc) on a significant level as source?

Gurus kindly advice.

Rgds,

What really makes a good basic CDP (w/o DAC/Int amp/SACD/EQ..etc) on a significant level as source?

Gurus kindly advice.

Rgds,

Whatever that sound good to your ears and have good synergy with the rest of your components in your setup.

Edited by lengcm

Garbage in, garbage out.............So what is garbage? Smell it! wink.gif

For instance, fried fermented bean curd is a much sought after delicacy in HK and Taiwan but it smells like sewage pong to me.

DAC is important but does that mean dvdp players which sport 24/96KHz resolution sound better than conventional 16-bit machines? Not true. I would rate a good cdp as good sounding naturally, synergize with your system, structually well made and performs well at its price.

One thing about SACD, don't bother investing in this format (unless U have all the money to spend) if U don't have a speakers system. The merits of SACD over redbook is less pronounced on cans than speakers. IMHO.

What really makes a good basic CDP (w/o DAC/Int amp/SACD/EQ..etc) ........

I'm bemused. Cdp w/o dac is known as cd transport; Why is int amp referred as source? Eq (unless U are referring to parametric and not graphic eq) is simply a tool that can screw up the sound of your system if U know not what to tweak.

Edited by Mackie

hahaha...sorry for my bad use of hardware jargons. I really need to go take some lessons or read manuals! biggrin.gif What I actually meant is a frilless CD player without all the intergrated amps or all those unnecessary things if any. I am so bad with hardware... But so far I get your advice on SACD so I'm ruling that out. I am not gonna tweak anything specific to the CDP cos it's only the CDP.

Am I beinning to sound silly? wacko.gif

Didn't know SACD is more significant on speakers instead. Some money saved here.

Right now I am using a rotten Onkyo. My hands kinda got itchy so I am looking for things to buy. Amp, CDP and Can. But am lost on the variety available here. Was convinced to get the sudgen but then kana psycho by other who modded theirs and how they sound better...*sigh. Then just now, I saw the Cayin HA-1 in the shop. Looks cheap but sounds nice to me even though the source was a portable CDP. haha...So now I am stressed...

Didn't know SACD is more significant on speakers instead. Some money saved here.

Right now I am using a rotten Onkyo. My hands kinda got itchy so I am looking for things to buy. Amp, CDP and Can. But am lost on the variety available here. Was convinced to get the sudgen but then kana psycho by other who modded theirs and how they sound better...*sigh. Then just now, I saw the Cayin HA-1 in the shop. Looks cheap but sounds nice to me even though the source was a portable CDP. haha...So now I am stressed...

It may not necessarily be true. However, most SACD players lose out to normal Redbook players at the same price point for Redbook playback (which is most music CD's).

So unless you have a fairly sizeable collection of SACD's, you may wish to invest in a higher-end redboook player than a low or mid range SACD player.

I believe Rameish has a Cayin HA-1 which hasn't seen much use. If you like the sound of it, why not arrange to audition at his convenience and with proper sources (Modded Rotel RCD-991 & RCD-855) and one of the best interconnects (Kimber KS-1020) around? If you like what you hear, you relieve him of it and also get some advice from Da' Man on sources and interconnects.

Well, that would be nice. Problem is that I am now in....tokyo? Geez. So alone... no.gif But then if there is somekinda meet again in march, I'll be most glad to join and have a greaten listen. I would love to hear the visible differences between the cables also...

Lucky for me I don't have any SACD to start a frenzy. Glad to know the differences about the SACD and the redbooks. Cos I keep thinking that somewhat I WILL be getting better audio resolutions. Now I can save yet more money on cds.

Why don't U try out a Marantz cdp for size? Japan's breed is sorta different from the rest of the world. A cdp is a digital player and hence there will always be whistles about the no. of formats playable, resoultion/sampling rate (referring to dac) and etc. However, I still can't get your notion of integrated amp in cd player. All standalone cdps sport similar facilities (under different names) and some do/don't come with headphone socket. Hence, your notion of no-frill cdp is a bit mind boggling to me. tongue.gif Or do U mean component system that has an all-in-one with tuner, cd player, amp and speakers?

Btw, Cayin HA-1A was previously discussed and reviewed in this forum. Just my observation. Stop researching on your cans (which U seem to fare very well) and divert the energy to your source - cdp lest U regret it, if U intend to set up a system.

Edited by Mackie

Hahaha...okay, let me "undo" my sentences. Perhpas in layman terms, how do I justify the $1000 cd player from the $200 cd player. What's burried internally in the CDP should I look for? That should be the way I talk! I seem to divert happily from the main topic. biggrin.gif

Yes too, I am more comfortable in the "can" zone cos they're already readily presented. The setup is where I am not at all familiar with. Well, I did only started out audio appreciation last year(slow starter) after I came across the Stax Systems. After which I'm just reading and reading to catch up on... Just a little imtimidated in the amplification and DIY sections. Way overload on jargons and electronics. no.gif

I'll need more work on my sources then. Sorry if in anyway I didn't search enough and asked for repeated replies.

I'll try to post my updates on my sources too!

Best rgds,

Now it's crystal clear!!!!! biggrin.gif

First the transport, some hardcore audiophiles would investigate the type/make of transport and explore the possibility of having the cdp serve as a standalone transport if the user wishes to connect an outboard dac (with superior sampling rates/resolution) to the current unit.

The structure/weight/damping of the chassis. Being superior in these aspects translates to better sound quality but most importantly, it simply exudes quality.

Functions are usually standard but there are cdps which offer selectable filters for different genre of music. Most purists stick to the one which remains true to the music.

DAC. 24/96 normally costs more than 16/44.1 and 24/192 will cost the most. Greater upsampling yields lower noise floor and 24-bit offers better resolution/details than 16-bit.

Ultimately, it is the sound characteristics that matter most. If cdp A costs $1000 and sounded 20% better than cdp B which costs $200, the buyer will have to decide if it's worth the plunge. Another example has it as both players costing the same but A sounds marginally better but B significantly better looking, once again the buyer has to decide which of these are dearer to him.

At the end of the day, the wild goose chase can only end sooner if the seeker knows what he seeks. Otherwise, he could be easily distracted by reviews and opinions of others. Good luck my friend.

Edited by Mackie

I went in Head-Fi for a "quick" CDP research and boy, I was trapped there for 1 hr. Like what you mentioned in the above reply, there are really lotsa things to look out for. Previously all I thought was that a cd player is a cd player. All that matters is after the CDP ie, amp, phones. Was I so wrong. But yes, some are sooo expensive. I definitely cannot afford those DAC, Rotel or meridians. Whoosh. I'll prob look into a standard, 16/44.1 with the unsampling filters.

Can you tell me in layman terms, what is the diff between unsampling and oversampling. Is it the other end of the filtering graph?

Thanks once again.

Darn. Sorry about it. I'm really lazy in other words. tongue.gif Humm one sec search..., I am using 9.6kbs dialup, so pretty slow? Excuses! haha. Thanks again!

Edited by idkfa

Hi idkfa,

I got a simple(maybe repeated solution) solution for you! tongue.gif

Bring u Cans n u Cans Amp(if u have) n interconnect(if u have) n powercord(if u have) to the audio shop where u see all the fanciful CDPs(don't look at the price tags first). Try them out one by one, you will know then which is the ONE for you(sounds like choosing a life partner biggrin.gif ). Then you study the plus+ and minus- on the price tags(sounds like preparing the customary wedding biggrin.gif ).

let us know and share your findings(again maybe repeated sentence). tongue.gif

Great hunting! tongue.gif

This sounds feasible enought. But not to look at the price tag is definitely scary.. blink.gif I somewhat might feel embarassed doing this but then it's really like what you mentioned "choosing a life partner" haha... I'll definitely give it a go!

Thanks so much for the kind advices!

Hi idkfa,

I got a simple(maybe repeated solution) solution for you! tongue.gif

Bring u Cans n u Cans Amp(if u have) n interconnect(if u have) n powercord(if u have) to the audio shop where u see all the fanciful CDPs(don't look at the price tags first). Try them out one by one, you will know then which is the ONE for you(sounds like choosing a life partner biggrin.gif ). Then you study the plus+ and minus- on the price tags(sounds like preparing the customary wedding biggrin.gif ).

let us know and share your findings(again maybe repeated sentence). tongue.gif

Great hunting! tongue.gif

I suspect that if I try that approach (looking and listening without looking at price tag) I'd end up choosing something like the Wadia 861se and then fainting when I get the bill for it (18k++!!!). muhahahahaha!!!! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif