matbon0013

Headsave META Mint has landed

Some more pictures posted here.

N@z, can you use any of them? I personally like number 4.

Edited by matbon0013

Congratulations, celebrate with a new avatar & custom title 'MetaBon'!

Here's No.4...

Meta_Bon.jpg

I'm quite partial to this dark & moody number... big Twin Peaks fan!

MetaBon.jpg

'One'...

... you did say count! tongue.gif

Well, since this is your thread & you asked the question so I guess it's ok to go OT...

I asked him before lunchtime today & he seemed 50/50. On the one hand he has sentimental value on his Linn LP12 (confirmed fluted cherry finish with Ittok, seperate tonearm support, not sure about cart), Naim Nait 1 (confirmed silver trim & push button selectors) & Linn Kans with matching stands. On the other hand, his eyes lit up a little when he heard how much I got for my Nait 2. He's gonna give it some food for thought first. Also has about roughly at least 200 LPs in is collection. Oh one disclaimer he says the LP12 is not tracking very well, Nait 1 has no sound coming from one channel, kans should work though.

OK here we go! Bear with me this is a spontaneous write up.

I've been holding back on posting my assessment on the Headsave META Mint built by tigger due to limited hardware as comparison. My main let down was the Transducers department, the B&O A8 just won't cut it although it will serve as the "other" end of the spectrum (comparison wise). I'm writing this as I am burning the Etymotics Research ER 4S, that is in another post.

Source equipment, iPod and PowerBook G4(mp3 128k-192k compression, AAC 160k compression), Meridian 206B CDP (Bitstream decoding)

Comparison Amp, JMT META42 heavily modified by KurtW.

Headphones, Ety's 4S and B&O A8

Upon first power up I can immediately hear the power coming (iPod META A8 combo) . From cold the Mint sounded thin and harsh but the delivery of music was instantaneous. Initially things sounded subdued akin to an empty room that needs to be filled up in a musical sense volume needed to be turned up. Having said that I would say not much different from directly plugging into the iPod raw.

Brunt in! Flawless power (well until battery runs out) music full bodied. Bass slightly extended but in a very precise sense, as you would imagine Phil Collins drums sounded more controlled on In the Air Tonight. Acoustic guitars on Nirvana's MTV Unplugged have detailed presence although the sibilance on the High's are a little bit to pronounced (I suspect the compression on mp3 although on AAC a slight improvement in treble control, also the new Ety's) not on CD's though. I think there is more improvements to be made in my compression techniques for example horns on Dire Straits Your Latest Trick, the Mint scrutinises the sax's like it poorly produced, going back to CD on the same track seems more involving. Vocals are too forward I blame this also on the Ety's not run in yet, maybe!

Summing it all up I find it a very well suited partner to my iPod in portable mode. I can't make myself go back to plugging in naked without the Mint (with the iPod). I would recommend it to your portable setup (if you don't mind the extra Mint tin in your pocket). I just pack them in my pouch to move around. Musical presentation can only bettered by the JMT META. But for portable listening/bedside setup go figure..........I'm a happy camper!

Will post version 2 on Ety's 4S has landed thread headphone.gif

Edited by matbon0013

good write-up..

makes me wanna go get a meta42 or cha47 for a portable

let me know if u r selling urs matbon

heheh.. I know u won't .. but .. tongue.gif

Finally! innocent.gif Halleluyah!

Guy,

Let me try out the V6 super mini first maybe I'll consider your offer wink.gif

but you are right, not anytime soon headphone.gif

Mat, if you're getting the supermini v6 PM me 1st.