quasimodo

Monster iSplitter

Been eyeing this for a few weeks... Monster iSplitter.

Finally went to SLS to look for it and found only one shop that had it for SIN$29. Isn't that a tad much to be paying for a splitter? I have also seen some cheaper brands. BUT the iSplitter looks the best... Oh well... comments please?

Functionally, IS the Monster iSplitter gonna make a huge diff over any other brand? Thanks.

Some ppl have read but none have given their comments... *sigh*

My heart is more than 50% convinced that I should buy it... overpriced though it may be... (a Daiyo generic splitter is only $2.50 at the hardware shop) BUT it's still within an affordable range... and it does look good...

Now I just wanna know if there are any good technical reason why I ought to buy the Monster iSplitter... like will I get better sound? Less interference? Better chick magnet? Will it make me more a stud? LOL!

*sigh*

It looks real solid. I don't believe that the sound produced would be much better than those cheaper versions. Perphas only very slight improvement maybe. Personally feels that it is overpriced. Bargain hard when you are buying. The fair price IMHO is $25.

I'm particular on yielding maximum sonic benefits from my system and even so, I will opt for the Daiyo (got another 2xRCA > 1xRCA splitter for my subwoofer) because of its low price and little (if any) sonic degradation. From an economic point of view, is it worth paying 10 times the price of a Daiyo for a Monster isplitter?

Mackie,

frankly no... and under any other circumstances I'd be the first to smack myself over the head for even considering a fricking $29 splitter... BUT this IS an iPod accessory we're talking about... it matches the iPod... and even tho $29 for a splitter is expensive... for $29, it's one of the cheaper iPod accessories out there. For crying out loud, the fricking silicone skins are going at about $60 at the Apple Centre at Wheelock!!!!

*sigh* when it comes to my iPod... I get a little silly...

Not worth the love. Doesn't look nice too. I bet you can get those bulk branded cables in SLS in white colored cable.

How often do you share your music with the splitter to justify getting it? IMO, when sharing music with one DAP, i safely assume on the bus or travelling, the nusiances of moving around and the background noises are still very significantly noticeable even with an expensive cable. You won't know the diff between the $2.50 one and the $29 one under those situations. It's never "that" audiophile" when moving ard for me. I love using my shures better at home better than outdoor even though it's an isolating earphone.

Mackie,

frankly no... and under any other circumstances I'd be the first to smack myself over the head for even considering a fricking $29 splitter... BUT this IS an iPod accessory we're talking about... it matches the iPod... and even tho $29 for a splitter is expensive... for $29, it's one of the cheaper iPod accessories out there. For crying out loud, the fricking silicone skins are going at about $60 at the Apple Centre at Wheelock!!!!

*sigh* when it comes to my iPod... I get a little silly...

This is a business strategy and don't be ashamed if anyone falls for the marketing gimmicks. It's simply capitalism at work. Whether it's an iPod accessory or not, in your case, it's not worth the price as the splitter does not improve sound and the construction is simply wires. For all U know, the wires of Monster iSplitter and Daiyo could be equivalent in quality. Hence, the 10-fold outlay is for the name and aesthetics. I would have a different stance if it's for other accessories that serve to upgrade functuality and/or sound quality.

Nonetheless, if U are already adamant in buying it, go along with it as long as U find the expenditure feasible.

Edited by Mackie

I hear you... both of you... guess I won't be getting that i-splitter after all... but it was more so I coule listen to music with a special someone... you know... quality time and all that... smile.gif thanks for the input.

I'll probably go get a generic splitter... and maybe one day I'll just grab that i-Splitter on impulse and post a review here making a comparison. smile.gif

Heh, I got a feeling that special someone would appreciate you spending the difference between the i-splitter on her instead tongue.gif

smile.gif I spend way more than that on her already! Hehehehe!

And great news! I found the iSplitter on sale at Yahoo Auctions for $17! *sigh* still over priced for a splitter but I bought it! It's about half the price of what the shop was offering... arranging to meetup to close the deal...

Frankly I dunno how to do a review... I guess the best I can hope for is "no difference to the sound". Cheers!

I'm not sure abt her but I would have preferred that you spent the $15 saved from buying a generic splitter instead of the iSplitter on a meal/small gift. tongue.gif

In any case, congrats on finding the splitter at a lower price, and it would be helpful if you could just comment on its build quality and impact on sound, in comparison to the generic one. No worries regarding the review, just share your findings. wink.gif

Coolness.

Anyway, I met up with and completed the deal today. So far I haven't had the chane to try it out... very hectic today. But I have removed it from the blister pack to examine the item...

the build quality is pretty good. only very minor grouse is that the black logo portion does not sit PERFECTLY square with the rest of the Y-portion. But that section is moulded separately so I guess it's forgiveable. Anyway, it's probably mass produced in China...

The 1/4" audio jack is very nice with the words Monster cable going all round it.

Over all, it looks and feels VERY solid. All electronic contacts are supposed to be gold plated and besides that... I can't say anymore.

I really hope sound quality won't be affected negatively by this (will it even be noticeable?) but I do expect shorter battery life on my iPod when driving 2 sets of headphones.

Cheers.

ok i had a listen using the isplitter ard 4am... all quiet at home...

and the result... no difference in quality. no improvement, but at least no loss... and

I don't think any loss in volum strength either.

a little anti-climatic, but I'm satisfied. Anyone wanna share my iPod with me? Hehehehe