Sign in to follow this  
pcking

Burned Audio CD-Rs

Like I said in my little summary, glass masters are very important. And I know that a glass master is not going to stamp out 72 million copies w/o breaking. Odds are that they used 2nd or even 3rd generation glass masters to stamp out the CD in the link. =)

somehow the clarity n details were 2 of the main improvements has a lower noise floor than the original. biggrin.gif

Sounds to be like the decay has been lost (or is less) heace it sounds cleaner and the details that you hear are with less blending from one note to another.

If I am correct in this - I wouldn't call that an improvement.

Oh well, with the recent copyright law all this discussion is moot. Duplicating your audio cds is going to be illegal in Singapore, even if you OWN the cd.

For local law I am not sure, under US copyright law, you can duplicate for as many as you want but... you must not do it for commercial purpose or provide free upload.

Oh well, with the recent copyright law all this discussion is moot. Duplicating your audio cds is going to be illegal in Singapore, even if you OWN the cd.

Actually, the act of buying a CD gives you the right to make a duplicate copy of the CD.

I always thought it's logical for one to be able to backup the CDs he/she already owns, as long as it is purely for that purpose and not distributed.

I always thought it's logical for one to be able to backup the CDs he/she already owns, as long as it is purely for that purpose and not distributed.

The recent straits times reported that it would be illegal to even use software that allows you to "break" the copy protection of music CDs and make backups. No mention of whether the CD is owned by you or not. So I assumed that ownership doesn't come into the picture, just the action of using such software is illegal. Frankly I think all this copyright stuff is way over board.

Then how about those people who listen exclusively on computers with legitimate CDs? People who burn copies of CD to listen and keep the original for safe keeping?

No mention in the article about the reason you are burning the CD, I guess it doesn't matter. It's the act of doing it that is illegal.

This duplicating cd law is so crappy. Does that mean we can't even burn MP3s now? It's still the same idea isn't it? blink.gif

Well I don't think there's any way to enforce that law anyway, and their target is not the usual consumer. They have more important things to look into, such as Bit torrent and software pirates.