Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

Sharp MD33s

Got this from idkfa, through Wil on saturday.

Was pretty impressive straight out of the box, but after some listening,

I noticed a certain 'shhh' or sort of shrilling sound. It didnt really performed for acoustic

music, jazz and some of my faster rock or punk pieces, it sound muddled. Like the sound are cut off at certain peak.

Bass was pretty decent, not like the Sony's counterparts.

When i tried it through a mini mint, it does clean up the sound, some how, it just doesnt sound right to me. Tested with an ipod and a cd deck.

Wondered if other owners have opinions?

I think i gotta change the buds. The stock ones really CMI. Perhaps I'll get the ety's foams and fit it through. I hope it will change the sound.

Through some recent post in head Fi, this star of the month, seemed to be getting some bashing lately.

Not exactly a review, since i really do not know what words to explain what i hear.

Looking for more inputs for other users, perhaps idkfa can give some input too?

Thanks

Edited by augustineRS

I'm been using since the day i recieved it. OOBE was good, the sharps never sounded shrill or bassy to me. the mids to me were alittle muddled.

bass was quite tight as well. easily the best sounding of all my budget canalphones.

I noticed a certain 'shhh' or sort of shrilling sound...

Through some recent post in head Fi, this star of the month, seemed to be getting some bashing lately.

That was probably sibilance? It's really painful on the ears, experienced it with the etys on some brighter recordings.

And as usual, the FOTM syndrome is at work. rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear about the "problems". Perhaps you can post your impression after a few days after burning in? I tried the Sharps at the loca store and was surprised at it's performance. Even hooked it up to the supermacro. Didn't really noticed the "metallic" sound everyone was talking about. Perhaps need some burning in?

btw, the Koss Plugs's foamies look good to go into the sharps. Perhaps you can try it out?

rgds,

Yup, I read up on the mods.

Wasn't really into 'opening' it up yet. I think i'll go with the covering or by changing the foamies 1st.

Will give it more time to burn in.

I used to own the e2c and Koss Plugs, somehow im comparing it as an in between.

What i did with the koss plug is simply changing the foamies to etys. ANd it did a great job.

Perhaps that led me to think that a change in the 'medium' will help. In any case, i didn't get a good seal even with the large size plugs.

FOTM syndrome maybe, but i was really looking for cheap in ear. Sold the e2 as i was rather 'tired' of the sound. And i definately can't lived with the em7 on public transport, even though i rather enjoyed the sound from it, esp for strings and jazz.

idkfa, there's nothing to be sorry about. i made the choice based on what i read. smoke.gif

Dont get me wrong, i think there's potential for these cans. There's pretty good detail from it. The 'metallic' was actually my main 'complain'. Cymbals and all that just doesnt sound rite to me.

One mod which I tried reduced a lot of the "metallic" sound. I simply cut a circular piece from some regular foamies, took out the rubber plugs and stretched this piece of foam over the grill. Then replace back the rubber plug. Simple and reversible mod, try it. Your mileage may vary, but since it's reversible no harm right?

Hey, where can i get the sharp earphone u guys are talking about?

Hi Yon, welcome to the club. I think you got lotsa reading up to do. Try to dig into the previous thread about all your qns. And try not to discuss in the classifieds section. Mod's not gonna be too happy abt it... happy.gif

if you are interested about the MD33s, let me know. Someone's also interested in it. Perhaps if possible, I'll do another group buy and ship it over. PM me if you are interested Yon.