N@Z

My 1st Apple

Like the title says, I finally took the plunge & got me an Apple. I always wanted a notebook so instead of going for the boring PC based notebooks I choose the Powerbook. Nearly got an ibook which I thought looked nicer (?) but a friend who is a hardcore mac user advised against it & convinced me to go the extra mile. More appropriately the extra 2 grand over a top spec ibook.

The spec is the same as this: http://www.asia.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html

Any helpful tips from Mac users especially OS X users? I am still learning as I only collected it this afternoon. It has been charging this evening so haven't been playing around with it much. I just find it a little odd to use. Not so much so because being a relative new notebook user but a total noob to mac. Little nicities on PC OS is not there like double clicking/tapping on the touchpad is missing. I've still got to personailize the settings to my taste though like the default cursor movement is too slow.

It looks gorgeous. The feel is so tactile. It's not as heavy as I expected for such a supposedly (I haven't tried it much remember) powerful machine. That fluorescent glowing mac icon on the lid is ohh soo sexy! Suffice to say the transition to mac is helped greatly by it as the other option was an Acer Tablet PC.

Need to play with it some more before I can write more about it... new toy! wub.gif

Trackpad double clicking is under (apple icon) -> control panel -> trackpad. Havn't used OSX much though as I'm still using OS 9.2.2

One advantage of the iBook (or ice-book as we mac fanatics like to cal it) is the free software. But they come with the G3 chip. Mine comes with the combo drive (DVD, CD burner, CDP).

I love it every time i use it. Hardly ever crashes unless I'm using Microsoft Exel.

Rameish:

I got a little ahead of myself there. Shoulda waited at least a day of use before posting that particular item I found it last night. Anyway, I will make sure I give it at least a week before I start asking silly questions dry.gif

Ablaze:

I was a Pro PC prior to the new OS X. I find that XP is going a different direction to my beloved Win2K Pro. Only time will tell before I can fully decide whether the move to mac OS is ok for me. I'm sure it will, I just need to know the shortcuts & useful functions & remember it then I probably can't live without it. Yet to use the airport card as I couldn't stretch for the Base Station. Oh well maybe next month or maybe get a cheaper PC alternative.

So far so good. Never realised OS X comes preinstalled with a firewall. Also my Microsoft Intellimouse is compatible with it & doesn't need a driver to run straight away including my digital camera. Still need to try out my Palm & scanner etc etc etc... rolleyes.gif

Just one problem, after hooking it up my ADSL cable & working properly 1st time out, my PC can't detect a connection when I hook it back up to it. What gives? I was hoping to get a Wireless Access Point + Router to solve this problem. Any thoughts?