matbon0013

What are you listening to NOW!

deep purple - deep purple

willie nelson - stardust (usa 1st pressing, writes "record manufactured in japan" on back insert, very audiophile release) very good country album

war - why cant we be friends, deliver the word (avenue gold 20bit cd, not too bad sounding, the music is extremely good though, highly recommended)

roger waters - pros and cons of hitch hiking (get the 1st usa pressing that states that its made in japan but has a contradicting section on the left of the back insert that writes "now made in the USA"

amused to death (dont get the gold mastersound, the improvement doesnt justify the price difference)

the doors - waiting for the sun, jap 1st pressing, very good sounding, warm and smooth

paul mc cartney - band on the run dunhill compact classics gold cd (the bass lines are the most prominent ive ever heard on any album, really audiophile piece)

rainbow - live on stage, difficult to cure

bruce springsteen - tunnel of love

neil young - harvest

pink floyd - piper at the gates of dawn (get the remaster , mastered by doug sax, its pretty audiophile)

supertramp - crime of the century ud1, made in japan mobile fidelity, the symbals and drums are really realistic, soundstage is extremely huge as well

stevie ray vaughan - essentials 2cd set (sounds extremely good, mastered by VIC, better than the jap presses i own for srv)

bob dylan - planet waves hybrid sacd, highway 61 revisited

billy joel - greatest hits 2

john lennon - imagine movie soundtrack

janis joplin - essentials 2 cd set (mastered by VIC as well, very good sounding)

zztop - eliminator

Edited by papaya86

paul mc cartney - band on the run dcc

wow! papaya86, you've got a dcc player?

or did i just mistaken dcc with something else

got it at Heeren HMV for $18.95. It's on the 2nd floor near the wall of top charts, on the desk facing the glass door. Its a christmas special so it might not last too long.

user posted image

user posted image

Mogwai - Mr.Beast

final 'mr. beast' tracklisting, taken from the promo cd:

# auto rock

# glasgow megasnake

# acid food

# travel is dangerous

# team handed

# friend of the night

# emergency trap

# folk death 95

# i chose horses

# we're no' here

There are three vocal tracks - 'acid food', 'travel is dangerous' and 'i chose horses'. the first two are stuart/barry vocals, and the last is sung in japanese by tetsuya fukagawa of envy.

as the title might suggest, a large part of ‘mr beast’ finds mogwai returning to the bone-crushing volume and intensity of earlier recordings, but like all folk-lore’s greatest monster stories, this beast has a quieter, more sensitive side, as single ‘friend of the night’ shows. in the words of manager alan mcgee the album "is probably the greatest art rock record that i’ve been involved in since my bloody valentine’s 'loveless'. its possibly better than 'loveless'. it is the record that they have always threatened to make. it is a shockingly good record – f*cking masterpiece."

Leaks are out if you know where to dig. ETA Feb.

Edited by Sky Juice

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Wilco - Kicking Television (el cheapo EU press) ~24@HMV

King Crimson - Court of the... (US press HDCD original tape remastered 2005) ~24 @Gramo

Verve - A storm in Heaven (!@#$ finally got this! UK press) ~24 @HMV

Matt Sweeny/Bonny Price Billy - Superwolf (US press) ~26 @Borders

Mogwai - Rock Action (US press) ~26@Borders

Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the satellite... (US press) ~20 @Borders

is king crimson court of the crimson king good, musically? ive been wanting to get that. hows the sound quality for this hdcd?

is king crimson court of the crimson king good, musically? ive been wanting to get that. hows the sound quality for this hdcd?

5/5 Stars Stunning debut-- pinnacle of late 60s progressive rock., March 28, 2005

In the life of any music fans, there are albums that change the way you perceive music-- "In the Court of the Crimson King" was, for me, one of them.

The original King Crimson band-- Robert Fripp (guitar), Ian McDonald (keys, reeds, vocals), Michael Giles (drum kit, backing vocals), Greg Lake (bass, vocals), and Peter Sinfield (lyrics) was a group positioned to do something great-- when Ian McDonald joined Giles, Giles & Fripp (an off kilter pop band and the prototype for King Crimson), and eventually the arrival of vocalist Greg Lake, the band's former pop sensibilities were largely replaced by a neoclassical form and a love for improv. The only resulting document of this group in the studio is this album.

I'm going to briefly jump into the sound before talking about the music-- if you're not interested, skip to the next paragraph. Fripp has remastered the album for what seems like the millionth time-- this time from the original session tapes. The result is stunning-- there's a clarity here not present on previous editions, the production seems to have slightly changed, Lake often sounds like he's singing right in your ear, the vocal harmonies, always for me one of the things that separated this album from similar acheivements (the stunning playing of Fripp and Giles being the other) are clear and distinct. And for an album of dynamic, it has long gone without any clear hearing-- "Moonchild", which often sounded like unfocused tinkling, finally sounds coherent on record. From a sonic standpoint, this is finally the treatment the record deserves.

The music is this album is breathtaking-- the sound is in some ways very 1969-- mellotrons abound, lead playing splits between reeds and guitars, and a unique, high tuned drum sound, but there's a certain timeless quality to some of the tracks that make it stand out, even when seeped in the technology of the time. The album's opener, "21st Century Schizoid Man", is the closest thing to a hit the band had-- a group composition, the song opens with a whisper, mellotron effects, before exploding into power chord guitar and wailing sax-- Lake's voice, neveer a favorite of mine, takes a powerful and harsh edge and runs through two verses before the song breaks into a syncopated rhythm over which McDonald (on sax) and Fripp both take brilliant solos before coming back around to the verse again. By the time this ended for the first time, I was hooked. The level of playing on here, in particular hearing the four musicians playing complex lines in unison, will grab hold of anyone. Combine that with a great metal hook, and you've got something in many ways overwhelming.

The following track, "I Talk to the Wind", is quite the opposite-- delicate, with quiet guitars, reeds, a brilliant flute solo, and soft harmonies, makes you realize this band is not a one trick pony. This may be the finest lead vocal Lake has ever sung-- he sounds relaxed, confident, and without that air of pretension that so often dominates his singing. Again, simply breathtaking, but in its own way. Skipping ahead a bit to "Moonchild", the first two minutes are similar-- quiet musical performance and a great lead vocal from Lake before meandering into an extended guitar, vibes and drums improv. While the trio improv is a bit overlong, it does (at least on this edition, not nearly as well on previous ones), work without having a feeling of draggin.

The other two tracks on the album are really the only ones that lack a timeless quality, largely in part because they're dominated by the lush mellotron strings that clearly point to their era. "Epitaph" is probably my least favorite track on the album, dark, building, boiling, with some great guitar work from Fripp, I find it (and to a lesser extent the album closer) marred by Lake's overblown vocal delivery. The album closer, again dominated by the string sounds and Lake's vocal, is also washed in vocal harmonies, features a really incredible reed bridge, and some great distorted guitar interplaying with the mellotron-- while it feels dated, its one of those period pieces whose performance is so brilliant and whose composition is so strong, it gets past its sound.

The album was one of a kind-- while Crimson would continue and produce many stunning albums, McDonald and Giles abdicated leaving Fripp to continue. This is an effort that would never be repeated-- it also, unfortunately, established King Crimson as a progressive rock band, a sound that, by the mid-70s, they largely abandoned, and by the 80s, they totally turned their back on. Nonetheless, its a great record, and definitely should be heard. - Michael Stack @amazon.com

Emi Fujita - Rembrandt sky

Emi Fujita - Camomile Blend(SACD)

Enya - Amarantine

T'ang Quartet - The Art of War