Sign in to follow this  
thaesus

SO MANY CHOICES!!!?

hellooo everybody!..

my first post here...and im gonna ask a real NOOB question...(pls forgive me)

im currently using an Iriver H10 mp3 player(rox) and EX71 earphones(sucks)

am definitely gonna upgrade and was wondering what to get..

mostly ill be using them at home...but i still prefer CLOSED headphones(doesnt HAVE to be closed la)

my (strict) budget is SGD200, and

i listen mainly to rock(alternative, progressive....like mars volta and a perfect circle..blabla) and sometimes to fusion..

so far, ive narrowed my choices down to

Alessandro MS1

AKG K26P, K240S(2nd hand?)

Grado SR60/80

Beyer DTX900, DT250-80

ATechnica A500, AD500 ?

Senn PX100/200, HD485, EH2/350, HD280pro

Ultrasone DJ1, HFI550, HFI15G

Shure E2c

Ety Er6i

Philips HP890, HP910

as u may have noticed...all in diff price ranges...but im tryin to decide wether to get a cheaper headphone and AMP or better headphone and no AMP

if i get an amp ill get a PA2V2..smile.gif

please help!!...

thanks a lot!

Get a grado, you won't regret it. Personally I have the sr-60. If you're a bass lover, you might wanna get the sr80, has slightly more refined bass. Be sure to enconde your music using high bit rates...Best would be 320kbs.

Add another to your list & my recommendation Sony MDR-7506. It suits rock & techno, closed design, works well unamped & from a protable source, robust construction and can fold up into a ball when not in use.

Another vote for Grado - The music you listen to is perfect for the Grados. Or is it the other way round? wink.gif

I have the H10 and the SR-60, I don't think they pair very well without a warm sounding amp.

If portability and isolation is a main factor, go for canalphones.

BTW. the ER6i blew your budget marginally.

I like my E2c with the H10, its not that good sounding, but its very portable.

But YMMV, go audition as many phones as possible (with your H10) and see which one do you like best.

You using Iriver H10 mp3 player...

If you get Headphone with high ohm you mind need a amp else the volume will very soft. (if i am not wrong)

I will go with the Grado SR-80 with SR-60 pads, reduces the slight brightness during loud playback.

AKG K26 is an ideal headphone for your type of music too, adds more portability compared to the grados. Plus you save a 100 bucks.....

K240...... maybe after you decide on a hp amp first.

AT A500 should be out of your budget, AD500 is within except it sounds a little muffled compared to the grados.

Philips..... never had any good experience with them, so...... no comment.

Senn...... maybe the HD-515? below 200 bucks rite? but hp amp would be ideal for pairing with your iriver. If you have to choose between pxc100 and 200, then go for the 100. ( but the AKG K26 might be a better choice)

Shure E2c is closes to your current earphone size for portability, not fantastic though but definitely an upgrade to your EX-71.

Never got to try the beyers, ultrasone or alessandro.......

The above is just me. beer.gif

I'm into metal (not so much perfect circle kinda melo-atmospheric type but those fast pounding metalcore type like The Haunted, Soilworks, Trivium yada yada type) and I strongly recommend the MS-1. Although not closed and just a tad bit bass shy as compared to most closed cans, they protray sheer tenacity on the mids and highs. And of course, the details is simply amazing. There's so much details that if you think St Anger (Metallica) is a one of the most crappily produced album, you'll think that it IS is the MOST crappily produced album with EVER. The details exposed all the "tin can pounding" of Lars sound so clearly that it sucked more than ever.

On the bright side, most guitars sound especially sweet on the MS-1. both warm and tight. And they sound good even when unamped. I'm gonna get condemned for this but.. I run it straight out of my laptop and they sounded great. tongue.gif

Edited by kank_39

Add another to your list & my recommendation Sony MDR-7506. It suits rock & techno, closed design, works well unamped & from a protable source, robust construction and can fold up into a ball when not in use.

how do they compare to the MS1s or SR60s?

what do the rest of you think?.

and thanks for the replies guys...seems many of u favour the Alessandros/Grados...smile.gif

i tried some cans today, and quite liked the HD497 and HD212pro(except they were quite uncomfortable), but i didnt like the HD280, and the PX100 seems to sound muddled and confused when i pushed the H10 to higher volumes...especially the bass...

i liked the AKGK26Ps but found the Grados a little too harsh(treble) cos the H10 is quite a bright source i think...can this be fixed with a simple amp like the pocket amp?...SR80 bowl pads r really uncomfortable.. sad2.gif

are the MS1s less harsh?

have any of u succesfully ordered MS1s(1st or 2nd hand) online?...from where?..official site?

btw, Ultrasone H15G isnt a bad sounding headphone, but could do with better extension both ways..and mebbe a bit TOO warm for some(personally i like warm)...

Shure E2c is closes to your current earphone size for portability, not fantastic though...

why not fantastic?...hehe smile.gif

what would be fantastic...

thanks again guys..ur help is appreciated

PS: anyone here has the H10? any successful pairings?

Edited by thaesus

how do they compare to the MS1s or SR60s?

Never tried the MS1 nor SR60 but compared to the SR80. SR80 has better mids so vocals & drums will sound more natural. If you like the sound of the Grado but find it a tad harsh, swap the earpads with the Senn HD414 & don't cut out the hole (or vary the diameter to suit your taste). On the other hand the bass on the 7506 will impress those who want copious amounts of it in their music. DT250 will sound more neutral looks similar to the 7056 but I think is more than your budget.

im currently using an Iriver H10 mp3 player(rox) and EX71 earphones(sucks)

Why not get something similar to your Sony: Shure E2C?. Is within your budget at $165 from Wailian. I have a mini-comparison at the Portables page. wink.gif