Sign in to follow this  
Kube

X-Fi out...

Just wondering, does anyone know how it compares to the EMU? Cause right now, I'm witholding buying an EMU, if only to wait for the X-Fi. If it doesn't match up, than might as well get an EMU.

user posted image

Guys, more info here...

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=2246&cid=3

MILPITAS, Calif. – August 8, 2005– Creative Technology Ltd announced the future of audio with the introduction of its highly anticipated Sound Blaster X-Fi™ line of sound cards. Powered by the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor, the Sound Blaster X-Fi cards introduce Xtreme Fidelity, an entirely new audio standard for music, movies and games.

“On May 12th of this year, we introduced the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor and the Xtreme Fidelity audio standard, and the response has been phenomenal. People have been contacting us from all over the world wanting to know when they can experience Xtreme Fidelity with MP3 music and games from a Sound Blaster sound card. We gave a sneak preview at e3 in Los Angeles, and the crowds were in awe when they heard the difference that Xtreme Fidelity makes,†said Sim Wong Hoo, chairman and CEO of Creative. “We’re addressing all the excitement in time for the holidays with the introduction of the Sound Blaster X-Fi family of ultra high performance sound cards that can dramatically enhance any music or audio, accelerate gaming, and provide an amazing headphone experience. With Sound Blaster X-Fi’s 24-bit Crystalizerâ„¢ and CMSS-3D technologies, all your MP3 music and CD music can sound even better than the original studio recording. The CMSS-3D Headphone Expander technology will blow you away. You will think that you are listening to a super high quality surround speaker system, as the sound will seem to come from external speakers instead of headphones pressing right against your ears.â€

“Sound Blaster X-Fi heralds the beginning of a new epoch in audio, where X-Fi enabled audio products will eventually and completely replace the old hi-fi equipment in the home,†continued Sim. “With the arsenal of high-end audio products, technologies and intellectual properties that Creative owns, you can expect Creative to release more and more audio product lines that support this new Xtreme Fidelity audio standard.â€

Man, reading all this is making me itchy.... lol.gif

Edited by jasonhanjk

Compared to an EMU, however, it's way more expansive. Well, the Elite Pro is...

That said, can't wait for CNY next year!

With Sound Blaster X-Fi’s 24-bit Crystalizer™ and CMSS-3D technologies, all your MP3 music and CD music can sound even better than the original studio recording. The CMSS-3D Headphone Expander technology will blow you away. You will think that you are listening to a super high quality surround speaker system, as the sound will seem to come from external speakers instead of headphones pressing right against your ears.”

I sense some exaggeration over here. Firstly, it defies the "theory" of "it only gets as good as the source material really is". Secondly, even many high-end and expensive cans can't reproduce the effects of speakers, so I don't see how a sound card can make el cheaper headphones sound better than Stax or the Omegas.

Nevertheless, some home-produced technology worth getting excited about. Hopefully they live up to the hype.

Sometimes Creative always like to bullshlt but you gotta like the CEO... biggrin.gif

Those words are written by marketing people that bullshlt for a living. No offence. tongue.gif Just like a Zen Micro having a SNR of -98dB... lol.gif

Just treat it like listening to tube, alot of distortion but sounds good. As long as it sounds good with my setup, i won't complain.

Suddenly reconsidering to get an EMU instead. Cheaper, and more or less suits the equipment I have, which is 2 speakers only.

Went to a demo of X-fi and I think it will be extremely great for gamers... biggrin.gif

Getting one and put together with my EMU in the same PC.

Music wise, the music seems to lighten up a lot but sometimes sounded funny with vocals. If you like rock a lot and new age, get this card.

Oooo...EMU and X-fi...How'd you get to demo it? Hmm...what's the difference between the EMU and the X-fi in terms of how they process music?

Just say that I got some contact to able me to hear the demo... wink.gif

There are already a lot of reviews around the web, just look at hardware zone and tomshardware. Mainly 0404 is for audiophile and X-fi for music lover.

X-fi has the capability to tweak your music. For eg, the bass and percussion is only so so in CD format, X-fi actually sort of lighten up these a bit and the music sounds even better.

I will buy X-fi mainly on it's 3d headphone 'cos I mainly play games on the web.

Interesting....hmmm...can't decide now. Lots of people on other forums saying the X-fi can't match up to the EMU line. That's it! I'm going to get a 0404 on impulse! Be prepared to see EMU for sale in the classifieds real soon. ohmy.gif

Tried out the X-fi for myself...the crystallizer's a bit...wierd. Maybe it's just the sample tracks that I got to listen to...but when the song are 'enhanced', the bass gets more depth, and the highs are shaper...but I don't seem to get any marked improvement from the mids. In the end, it sound bright and boomy at the same time. Wierd combo...so I'm not sure. That said, the CMSS-3d was nice, really give a wider soundstage and percieved direction.

Question: Does the EMU use the same technology as the X-fi.

Bright and boomy... Sounds lethal, first time I'm hearing such a combination. cool.gif