Sign in to follow this  
lypk

Which cd player to get?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a dedicated cd player soon.. but i'm not sure which brand/model of players to go for.. my budget is $500 or less, using an ath-a900... i listen mainly to pop, instrumentals, jazz, ballads... basically slower type of music.. any suggestions? And it will be great if you can also tell me where can it be bought.. thanks alot laugh.gif

One more question... just curious... how much of a noticable difference is there between what you hear in a mid-range dedicated cd player (the one being suggested) vs a mini hi-fi? (the type you see in harvey norman) Need this input from a guy who doesn't have audiophile ears' point of view) Cuz i have a mini hi-fi, so i wanna know whether this buy would be worth it.. ya.. thanks again laugh.gif

Start with a Marantz cdp and U should get your money worth. Just remember price does not guarantee better sound quality. It's imperative that you audition for yourself. Try out a Rotel and Marantz at KEC, ground floor of Adelphi, Coleman street. You should be in good hands as the sale people there will not rip your wallet apart. Good luck.

marantz!!

i loved my marantz before it died.. it sounds a lot fuller and more forth coming as compared to rotel/denon/sony, the difference is quite distinct actually, i tried running 2 cd players into the same amp, marantz gives a slightly larger output than most other players, no change in vol of amp, a switch of source you can hear the difference pretty much..

when you have a higher budget in time to come you might wish to try out bigger names like krell etc.. which are still out of my budget/reach sad2.gif

thanks for the comments laugh.gif Will have a look there laugh.gif

hmm.. im currently looking at the marantz cd6000 ose.. any ideas what is and where can i get the cheapest price round singapore? Thanks alot laugh.gif

They appear occasionally on the Echoloft Classifieds, usually priced between $300-350. I recall seeing one not too long ago. Try a search there and you might find a seller who still has one on his hands.

haha... ya.. i saw that ad on echoloft too... hmm.. but i would really like to get my hands on the cd6000 ose.. heard really great things bout it.. unless you can verify that they sound almost the same, wil.. haha... i trust your opinions lol laugh.gif anyway, i planning to use my a900 on em (thanks for the sale again, wil laugh.gif )

argh... now im torn between buying a senn hd600 from the same seller vs spending that money on a dedicated cd player..

Btw, i P.O.P.ed yesterday.. the company of recruit grads you see on the photo of today's straits times is actually my company.. lol.. just that no one can see me.. haha...

Congrats! Nice to hear u P.O.Ped....now the real "FUN" begins...hahaha

Hi lypk. You may also want to consider the Rotel RCD-971. I personally prefer the 971 over the Marantz 63 SE. I haven't heard the CD 6000, but those who have commented that there isn't much difference between the 63 and the 6000.

The Marantz sounds good the first time you hear it. It's got warm vocals, and lots of details. But for some reason, I was never able to do extended listening with it. I get irritated after a while (20 mins or more) and have the tendency to turn it off. Actually, this also happens with the CD63 KI, although to a lesser extent.

I am now using a Rega Planet 2000. The Planet sounds more musical to me than the CD 63 series (SE and KI). It's got very good rhythm, and most of all, the music does not sound digital. Maybe that's what people term as "analogue sounding". I can't use that term because I don't know what LPs (analogue) sounds like. I would recommend the Planet, but it is above your budget.

I have had the chance to compare the Planet to the 971. They are pretty close. The 971 is more upfront, akin to listening to music in the 1st/2nd row. The Planet gives you a 10th row listening position which I prefer more. But other than that, these 2 players give a similar non-digital sound which I like a lot. You should be able to get a 2nd hand 971 for $300 or so.

Rameish has 2 of these players actually, so you may want to get his opinion on them as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.

i see.. but i heard the Marantz is more musical sounding.. not to mention that the cd 6000 ose is one of the best players when compared to the rest in its price range.. even in headfi.. lol.. anyway, thanks for the info, appreciate it laugh.gif