Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

innards of a marantz cd player

mine died long while back, probably some rotor is spoilt.. cds dont spin at all in the player when power's on.. :S

interesting point to note that this marantz, cd 63se uses a JRC 4556 opamp for headphone out.. similar to grados RA-1..

user posted image

lol you know how to repair it?

i think the cd tray mechanism the whole assembly is faulty.. replaced once.. with a phillips one.. :S.. now it broke down again

Previously, I had a problem with my CDP. The CD tray works fine but it doesn't spin the disc at all.

I had initially thought either the rotor or something in the tray mechanism that is not functioning properly. However, after some troubleshooting, it was found that the transformer for the digital sections of my CDP is dead, therefore the CDP couldn't even work at all. Only the mechanical section of the transport is still working because it uses another transformer.

Changed the transformer and the problem was fixed.

Edited by Northern Oak

The motor is probably weak. However the cost of a new mechanism at Woh Kee Hong may not be feasible unless you treasure this player. Btw, what marantz model is this?

In addition, headphone-out circuity on Marantz cdps are usually quite good compared to rest of the crowd.

Ah.....$300 bucks can buy you a Marantz CD4000 with superior DAC and possibly better sound unless you love the warm mids which is a signature with the CD63SE.

Time to move on I would say or maybe you could send in it to reconfirm its not transport problem. You can choose not to proceed with repairs if cost of repair is not feasible.

Ah.....$300 bucks can buy you a Marantz CD4000 with superior DAC and possibly better sound unless you love the warm mids which is a signature with the CD63SE.

Time to move on I would say or maybe you could send in it to reconfirm its not transport problem. You can choose not to proceed with repairs if cost of repair is not feasible.

yup.. new cd players are much cheaper these days..

a long while ago this player cost me 500 or was it 550.. i found the sound bit more forthcoming esp the strings & mids, which compeled me to send this for repair for almost 60% of its cost price..

and now its down.. guess time to hunt for a new one or attempt a self repair lol laugh.gif

The 4556 are IC's that have higher current capability. It's one of the favourites during the good old days and nowadays.

Too bad we seldom uses this IC here.

CD not spinning when powered on is definitely a transport problem. Need to replace the lens assembly for around $20-30.

I repaired 2 cdps before, both times were direct drop in replacement... hard part is... eheh to find source for the lens assembly...

I have 2 CD4000s (technically, one is a philips but its exactly the same inside) i havent repaired left languishing on top of a marantz receiver... no time... hammer.gif

I used to own the CD63KI, and it does indeed have a pretty decent headphone out.