Sign in to follow this  
Kube

Noobish question...

A noobish question here...what happens if my headphones were exposed to erm...a high current, as in much 'loudness'...to put it in a way... Same goes with a low impedance earphones, will the drivers get spoilt?

Driving headphones hard (ie very loud) without a proper headphone amp will damage your headphones. The reason is clipping. In simple terms the amp shold be cabable of delivering the juice. :-) If you have a capable amp you may still damage your headphone (but by that time it wont matter cos you've lost your hearing).

Well...sometimes, I set the volume too high...which then comes out as cracklings on my cans...just wondering if exposure to such high volumes for just a moment can damage them.

yup...

it will damage them..

the mechanism works in a way like erm.. a copper wire coil in a magnetic field (permanent one from the magnets inside the cans..)

as your pass alternating current through the copper wire.. physics.. current carrying wire will generate its own magnetic field etc.. and this magnetic field sorta either attract/repel the permanent magnetic field.. resulting in vibration/sound reproduction..

if you drive them very hard.. i.e. very high current running through.. you might force the coil to actually move out of its comfortable range of vibrational motion, resulting in "crackling" and also may burn the thin wire the coil is made from.. fine wire.. higher resistance.. plus high current.. no.gif

Hey, erm, let me hijack this thread and add in another noob question....... tongue.gif

Whats a loop out? I see that on amps and have no idea what that means. Is it some sort of a RCA out kinda stuff?

No, no...what I was meaning was that I accidently exposed my Senn's to a high volume MOMENTARILY. So I'm asking whether this momentary burst of current might've affected the cans in anyway.

Hey, erm, let me hijack this thread and add in another noob question....... tongue.gif

Whats a loop out? I see that on amps and have no idea what that means. Is it some sort of a RCA out kinda stuff?

loop output??

hmm not v common sometimes, but loop output is rca or similar output which you can actually connect some recording device to for recording purposes..

if i m not wrong.. this can also be modded into a headphone out..

never used it b4 anyone can confirm this?