Sign in to follow this  
zhong

Recommendation for Zen micro user

Hi,

I'm a zen micro 5gb user and i've experimented with various earphones, but yet to find one which suits the mp3 player and my ears sad2.gif

just for info, i listen to mainly rock, live band concerts

i previously own a panasonic mr220 minidisc which i paired with sony mdr-931LP and quite like the sound.

somehow when i used the mdr-931LP on my zen micro, the sound is less than desired.. there seems to be a lacking presence or mids in the output

History

i've paired my zen micro with the following earphones as well

AKG K12P - Very clean and balanced, suitable for jazz or listeners who like such tones, the bass is a little weak but overall a clean pair of cans, light weight

Sony MDR-E888LP - After 3 weeks of travel time usuage, still sounds abit harsh on the highs, overall pleasant but just lack the same groove i heard on my minidisc and mdr-931LP

Even after i did the mod (taking off the silent cap)

Zen Micro's fault?

i am beginning to wonder if it's zen micro's capabilities of producing the sound which i much desire

or should i continue my pursuit of new cans?

i've read some neat reviews regarding md33/ep-630 and might consider getting a pair

BUT.. would it help?

Incorrect Burn in

i would like to ask too if i might not have burn in my cans enough

i leave my 888s for about 14hours before taking them out, on and off for a few days...

do i have to like straight burn 72 hours? or can i like 20+20+32hrs=72hrs?

Would the 2 be of the same effect?

so now

should i:

1) get Creative ep-630, burn them properly(how?)

2) burn in my 888s proper (or they are goners already?)

3) get a portable amp (would this help? do they cost alot to have good sound?)

4) just dump my mp3 player? hammer.gif

HELP PLEASE!

p.s. my apologies for this long ramble! i'm sure some of u know how i feel in this conquest for "Ahhhh.... that's the sound"

First and foremost, mp3 is a compressed format. If sound quality is your priority, think of the old portable cdp. Latest panasonic pcdps promote D-Sound...basically digital amplification from the headphone jack and I must say it sounds better with greater transparency,clarity and dimensions.

What MP3 bitrate you used? If 320 kbps still doesn't suit you, better buy iPod and use Apple Lossless format. Try MP3 320 kbps first with your rigs...

Previously when I tried MP3 for the first time, I didn't like the sound quality, and prefer the normal PCDP. But lately I felt PCDP is to big cumbersome and lazy to carry CDs. So after sometime, with a bit compromise, and 'get used to' period, I prefer to carry small Muvo N200 (which sound not as good as my Panasonic PCDP), pair it with my MDR-E888 or ATH-EW9.

Aye, md33/ep630's should do justice to your music. AFAIK, you need to burn them in for a month or 2. After that, you'll definitely get deeper bass.

i use 128kbps to 192kbps for my music

Mainly cos anything more than that depletes zen micro's battery fast

anyway the comparison between zen micro and my panasonic md was both the same files actually...

before i made the switch to mp3, i was recording mp3s into my MD overnight (that was why i made the switch.. haha) so they aint fantastic CD quality in the first place

So, i was wondering whether could it be due to mp3 player's "sound technology" is still not as advance as MD and CD

or could it be some circuit/amp within CD/MD players which isnt prominent/existent in mp3 players?

Still.. with these doubts and questions in mind,

i don't think creative would do such a compromise on sound quality or sell products which sounds worse than MD/CD.. afterall, it's famous for its soundcards wink.gif

still, i hope to be able to find a pair of cans which can do justice to the sound i m looking for

pinning my hopes on ep630 *fingers crossed*

anyway, kube

do i really have to burn them in so long? u were refering to normal usuage or straight overnight burn in?

or is there like number of hours of doing so?

bpribadi and kube, thanks for all your replies so far! smile.gif

anyone who has advice pls feel free to post here as well

Cheers,

Zhong

Use the foam pads for your earbuds. It will trim some treble and enhance bass. Inside the E888, there is a thin piece of paper or filter, try taking them out and the cap, place foam pad over them and try to see if it suits you. E888 requires lots of burn in time. Try it for a month.

Lack of groove? MD sounds better compared to MP3s. Did you switch on any sound enhancement on your MD? Bass boost? Your 931LP is a pair of 'Groove' earphones? Do you find the E888 lacking in the bass dept?

The E888's sound signature is quite flat across the band. Maybe a little bass hump. If you find the E888's bass lacking, then the EP630 or HJE50 will suit you. Between the both, EP630 is more bass heavy and has a more forward and aggressive presentation. The HJE50 is a more balance earphone. (Treble a bit harsh to me) The HJE50 will sound 'flat' after listening to a EP630.

Edited by afbug

for my e888.. i find the treble a little harsh

semi open hi hats sound like tambourine! wacko.gif

yea.. i think i will burn them in for a longer time...

running it through FM95.0 on my mini compo now

yep.. lack of groove

i used to be able to get pretty inspired/high(decent..lol) on my MD with 931LP

Yea.. Bass boost was on...

it felt like more presence, as though i m in the middle of the live band

since u mentioned that EP630 is abit agressive/bass heavy,

i was wondering whether it would cause listening fatigue easily?

more concerned with the highs actually (cause listening at screeching treblish music is killer!)

Edited by zhong

The E888 might not suit your requirements. It doesn't have the bass impact of a semi canelphone like the EP630. The treble of the 630 is just nice for me. I dunno bout listening fatigue cos most ppl are quite happy with their 630 despite its forward and aggressive presentation. Dun worry, the EP630 will take you to highs (decent and indecent yeah.gif ) you never experience before! They're good for rock music.

The EP630 is a earplug type earphone. It requires a good seal (Isolate) before it can make you high. And they're semi canelphone so dun expect much soundstage from your live band concerts. It will feel like you're just in front of the band or on stage with the band. To dictractors, it might sound like in front of the band's speakers. If you want soundstage, you'll looking into headphones.

Double post ohmy.gif

Edited by afbug

Basically, there are several factors to consider. Isolation, music preferrence, and budget. No, I did not burn in overnight for 2 months!!! After awhile when listening to them, I noticed a change in the bass characteristics, hence my conclusion. Warning, though, they've got pretty high microphonics, so you'd usually hear the sounds of your own footsteps when you're walking.

Overall, I find the ep630 quite lively but balanced. I can get decent bass, mids and highs from it. Nothing special, but coupled with the isolation, and it's really worth the money.

nah.. although i know headphones in general sounds better.. i still prefer in ears because i can wear them to sleep (in bus, or at night ) cool.gif

been reading lots of favorable comments about ep630.. would be going down creative hq to try em this afternoon...

anyone has lobang to get em cheaper? wink.gif

i went down to creative to test today..

they have all their range of headphones to try BUT for ep630, the earphones are there, but they dont have the fitting sleeves...

dry.gif

so well... i left

anyway,

gotto ask ep630/canal earphones users (cos this will be my 1st canal cans)

1) would canal cans harm your hearing more easily? or vice versa?

2) would ep630 cause listening fatigue easily? harsh? treble?

3) is ep630 balance? cos i've heard the sonys and felt that they are just plainly for techno (or maybe it wouldnt even do techno justice)

it just went TOOM TOOM TOOM!!!

Ha! Those sleeves must have been stolen by those cheapo ppl.

1) All sorts of headphone/earphone can harm your listening easily. With 630's isolation, there is no need to crank up the volume anymore.

2) No and yes. It depends on the individual.

3) Not really balanced, with its sound leaning towards the low end. But mids and highs are better than the Sonys. HJE50s are more balanced. I think balanced earphones are not what you're looking for. E888 is quite balanced but you felt that its flat. E888s are not known for its harsh treble. I think you like a muffled sound which the 630 is not.