Sign in to follow this  
Stereo_Electronics

Audio Technica headphone amp coming soon....

I hate to be a spoiler but this amp is is not worth the money. It's very small and felt "cheap" when I tested it months ago. Don't ask me to do a detailed comparison because I'm don't think this amp deserves a considertion when better amps could be gotten at USD$60++.

Stereo_Electronics<<< Please dun take into account of my personal opinions. Not meant to start any flame wars but it's sensitive when a dealer is in the thread recommending a product. There was a time when a chinese maker of an amp was involved in a review of it's own product on head-fi. I'm sure some knew about it. It was kinda not pretty. happy.gif

Which chinese amp was it? Convenient to post here?

wasnt it Geee and Double U.. hmm.. rolleyes.gif

even eckolofts 's having some dealers coming in and touting products... rolleyes.gif recent thread on some "speaker".. rolleyes.gif

disappointing. creating clones and talking to each other an all.. rolleyes.gif

wow, the amplifier looks interesting..... and surprisingly affordable from audio technica, they don't make something so cheap all the time. laugh.gif Please update me on the amplifier when its here mr stereo.

-ohn' date='Nov 14 2005, 09:28 AM'] wow, the amplifier looks interesting..... and surprisingly affordable from audio technica, they don't make something so cheap all the time. laugh.gif Please update me on the amplifier when its here mr stereo.

I will update everyone here once it's here, but Audio Technica Singapore hasn't got any eta yet. mellow.gif

I hate to be a spoiler but this amp is is not worth the money. It's very small and felt "cheap" when I tested it months ago. Don't ask me to do a detailed comparison because I'm don't think this amp deserves a considertion when better amps could be gotten at USD$60++.

Stereo_Electronics<<< Please dun take into account of my personal opinions. Not meant to start any flame wars but it's sensitive when a dealer is in the thread recommending a product. There was a time when a chinese maker of an amp was involved in a review of it's own product on head-fi. I'm sure some knew about it. It was kinda not pretty. happy.gif

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but in relation to the above quote, I toyed around with the ha20 and found that if 'bi-amped' (running one pair of headphones through both headphone jacks) it sounded different:

- through 1 jack: very airy and light on the higher freqs, but reasonably detailed, decent bass details, but notably weak sounding throughout.

- through 2 jacks: slightly less airy, more forward-sounding, very much more detailed, definitely more bass (lower regions), fuller sounding.

Through either way, there is not much midbass emphasis, and my personal take is that this amp should sound good with classical/instrumental and perhaps even some vocals. The possibility of fuller sound could be because the headphones is able to tap more power from both jacks with the use of a fabricated y-cable (think each jack/channel only 100mw, iirc).

It can be said that the ha20 is a detailed and bright amp, since my observations were made from beyer cans. Change in interconnects also brings out different characteristics in the sound.

Only one thing is quite concerning, and that is the supplied power adaptor gets quite hot whether run from 1 jack, 2 jacks or even with headphone unplugged...might have to consider putting a heatsink on it. But if Stereo Electronics can leave them on all the time with no problem (yes?), I think no cause to worry.

Other than that, it sure looks good visually (blue led and all) and is a no-brainer price to try.

Note that ymmv, as I'm a newbie to head-fi!

I gave it a go at Hung Brothers. Can't remember how it sounded like because it was so noisy over there. I'll give some first impressions though on the looks. For an AT product, i think its built is a little shoddy and sloppy. And my, its very very small....I was expecting something like the Gilmore Lite but it was smaller.