ablaze

HA-1 MkII review

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=37212

Meier Audio Corda HA-1 MKII-Review/Impressions

I learned a long time ago never to generalize or assume anything.Both have proven dangerous and unfair in the past and have never been beneficial in any way.After initially auditioning the original Meier Audio Corda HA-1,and purchasing some of the phones that Dr. Meier sells and recommends(Philips HP890 and HP910) I incorrectly assumed he has listening preferences that lean towards "brightness" and harsh,tiring treble.When I got the boxes containg the latest incarnations of the Meier amps I have to say I was still under the same false assumptions.The Prehead,Corda HA-2 and Corda HA-1 MKII have done well to absolutely squash any possibilty that I'll fall prey to assumptions like this in the future.The latest Meier amps are so sonically different(I have disavowed the use of the word "better" when writing reviews)than the Corda HA-1 that I have to believe they are a clean-sheet re-design(I'm probably wrong again)

I'm sure you all know that I borrowed all the Meier gear for the Chicago meet back in April.Since then I have taken the gear to the NYC and Detroit meets and shipped it to the Bay area meet all with the blessings of Dr.Meier.I'd like to thank Jan for doing this for us again and helping make the meets a big success.

My gear is pretty much the same as when I reviewed the Gilmore V2.I'll list the gear that I used with the Corda HA-1 MKII:

Sources:

Philips DVD 963SA

Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen

Sony D-25S PDCP

VPI Scout W/Dynavector 10X4(red body) cartridge-Ray Samuels Audio XR2 Phono stage

Phones:

Grado RS1

Grado RS80

Senn HD600/Equinox

Beyer DT880

Beyer DT931

Philips HP910

Cables:

Meier Audio prototype .5 meter IC

Acoustic Zen WOW!

Zu Cable Custom Mini-RCA .5 meter

Quail 12/3 hospital grade power cord.

Comparison amps:

Gilmore V2

Headroom Cosmic W/reference module

Headroom Max/stepped attenuator

Corda HA-2

Corda Prehead

Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR2

I listened to a lot of music while auditioning to the MKII so It's not possible to list it all.The HA-1 MKII did become a part of my second vinyl system that I use to audition records after cleaning them and sending them off to my good friends.The MKII performed very well in that capacity and I'm gonna keep it just for that purpose.

The Corda HA-1 MKII I have for review bears serial number 0001 which would indicate that it is one of the first production units.Build quality is first rate as always with any Meier Audio gear.The MKII is considerably smaller than the original HA-1 and the current Prehead and HA-2.the small footprint belies the big sound.The stout aluminum construction, high quality switch gear,input/output jacks and headphone jack offer the clear indication that the MKII is a serious amp.I don't like the goofy rubber-like feet that are held on with some type of double-sided tape.If they didn't warp they fell off and were a real hassle to keep up with when they did.Other than that minor annoyance, my time with the MKII has been completely trouble free. Dr.Meier would do well to perhaps ditch the current spec feet in favor of something that attaches in a more secure manner.

I have to begin my comments about the MKII by stating my complaints first.First,I wish it had a battery power supply to allow some portability.The cross-feed switch could have clearer and easier understood markings and desigantions.I got it,but my wife was lost in space even after a brief explanation.I already complained about those feet so my complaints have proven to be more nit-picky than anything.That said,I move on to the sound.The MKII never failed to impress me,my Dad,my wife,or any of the guys at Decibel Audio who became really,really attached to it over the weeks.(Gratuitous sexual reference warningThis little amp has some real ass.In "Chicago Audiophile Speak" this refers to having nice,tight,impactfull bass.If the MKII were a woman, it's ass would be perky and taught with a nice full shape.You could slap it to your heart's content and it would remain firm.No big, flabby,wrinkled ass here.(gratuitous sexual reference now complete).It real audio terms the HA-1 MKII gets the bass right.Drums sound like drums,bass guitar sounds right,and percussions fill the air in your head with a solid punch.The DT880s finally find their soulmate with the MKII(and the other Meier amps) and they bring the lower frequencies to your ears in a most revealing and accurate manner.

The MKII is very good in the midrange frequencies with just a hint of congestion on some of the large vocal peices(gospel choir) my wife threw at it.She listens to a recording that features a duet singing in front of a 66 person choir.This recording is chilling in delivery and emotion and the MKII gets it a little tripped-up on the female voice in the duet.I have this recording is only on vinyl and I know it well.The MKII makes the voice sound a bit "nasal" .I was never able to find any other music that made the MKII sweat.I even played my "ball buster" music just to be sure I wasn't cutting the Corda any slack.Instruments,piano in particular, are reproduced with all the emotion present on the recording.Each instrument is afforded the proper space and placement on the imaginary soundstage in your head.The three levels of cross-feed are genuinely effective at creating the feeling of soundstage,especially on live recordings,and seem to allow the sonics of the recording venue to shine.There is no oversweetening or forwardness of instruments or voices that I felt was a big problem with the Original HA-1.The midrange is

right.

My biggest complaint about the original HA-1 was the harsh treble and completely uncompliant high frequency.I really didn't like it much.The HA-1MKII is improved in ways I find difficult to describe.There is no Meier Audio "house sound" .The MKII is the amp that dispells that notion for me.Treble extension is very good and allows the air and space between instruments and voices that give the feeling of presence in a recording.there is no distinct treble strain or harshness with the MKII.The top end is extended enough to allow all the music to come through but is balanced well enough that the treble does not overpower the remainder of the music.That's a neat,and difficult,trick that the MKII does well.If you listen to recordings that have a strong treble bias,the MKII is your amp.The treble is near perfect.

After listening to all the Meier amps I have to declare the MKII the best value,not just in terms of price but for overall fabtastic performance.It's as good a small amp as currently available and a great buy.The Corda HA-1 MarkII offers a great deal of the performance of it's larger brethren at a much lower price.A job well done from Dr.Meier.

courtesy of tuberoller smile.gif

I thought you were doing the review when I read the title! As always Tuberoller's positive reviews make you want to go out & buy one immediately!

It's a shame though however good it is, the price is very close to the HA-2. I wonder what is Meier's idea/strategy behind that?

did you read Tuberoller's last review of the Gilmore v2? it wasn't exactly a typical 'rave review' and got crapped on by so many rolleyes.gif so you can't say tuberoller's reviews are positive wink.gif

hm... I was expecting it to be ha-1 vs ha-1 mkii review..

Ablaze if you reread my post it is referring to his 'positive reviews' not 'all reviews'. tongue.gif I am fully aware of Tuberoller's & alot of the Head-Fier's brutal honesty in reviewing.

Maybe Rameish could give us a review / comparison for Mk1 vs Mk2 on the HA. wink.gif