Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Rogers Speakers

quite a lot of hype abt them over the recent years.. ever since the closure of rogers.. the l3/5a speakers seem to be very heavily priced..

wonder if anyone had any experience with them? yes.gif

i know my dad's colleague has a pair.. he bought them over 10 yrs ago.. but i havent heard his set up yet unsure.gif

Havn't heard of them before. However, Music by Design will be bringing in a batch of these speakers pretty soon. Maybe you want to check with them.

strange unsure.gif Rogers was bought over by Wo Kee Hong and closed its UK factory, thereby the LS 3/5a, about 8 years ago. LS 3/5a is not produced anymore, even for Harbeth, KEF, Spendor...how then can MBD able to "bring a batch"? unless it is used speakers. I read somewhere Rogers has made another model, that looks similar to LS 3/5a but it is not the original.

These are the V2 versions made by Sterling Broadcast. This company hand makes them and many say it's a little better then the original LS3/5A. Please note there are different versions of the original as well. I would say this is indeed good news - being able to get a pair of new LS3/5A.

http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/ls3-5a%20NEW2.html

I know the original Rogers LS3/5A were very inefficient, driven by most amps. So the macho claim by amps then was to drive the Rogers loud and clean. Have heard them before, sounds very good if properly driven but the bottom end is not too good given their size. In fact there was a good market then for subwoofers to accompany the Rogers.

Edited by heady

The Roger LS3/5A are legendary among local audiophiles; valued mainly for their wonderful midrange.

Over the years, there have been many variants , Rogers ( the original ), Spendor and KEF were all comissioned to build the LS3/5a for BBC ( BBC still owns the rights to the LS35/A i think )

The latest reincarnation of the famous speaker is done by Stirling of England.

Heard the LS3/5a being driven by a Mcintosh M275 before and it sounded quite good considering it is a rather tiny bookshelf. It excels in vocals and intimate accoustic music, the midrange is warm and sweet. Dont expect to play Floyd or Maiden on this baby though, with a bass response that goes down to 70hz only, u did be better spending money on large floor standers.

There's a Roger Subwoofer to go along with it though, the AS-1; but i cant comment as i havent heard them in combination yet.

Read that amp matching with the Ls3/5a is impt and that tubes go partiularly well with it. IMHO, the quality of the power that goes into it is more impt than the quantity of the power going into it...

Local tube guru Frankie of Well Audio claims that the flea watt Sun Audio 2A3 ( 3.5w! ) drives the 15 ohms(!!!) LS3/5a rather well.

Although i would jump at the chance of owning such an esoteric piece of Audiophile history, the price of a mint condition LS3/5a would make many people think twice ; ( in the region of 1.2k to 1.6k )

Please correct me if there are any mistakes tongue.gif

Edited by wil