Sign in to follow this  
T_T|||

Need Portable headphones

I always thought Senn MX550 would be better than Senn MX500 so when I went Nanjing's Zhu Jiang Road(Equivalent to Singapore's SLS), I went to look for one. One reliable shop(a lot of fake earphones being sold) was providing MX550 for testing and to my surprise the bass sucked as compared to my MX500. Then I thought this cannot be. It should sound better. Maybe this MX550 being sold is fake too?

After searching the web for information, seems like quite a bit of people agree with my opinion that MX550 sucks in bass as compared to MX500... Maybe I'll just buy another Grados cans for my discman...

But I think that would require an amp... I think...

Thought of buying the PX200 but it doesn't look cool enough... tongue.gif ... I love retro...

Mode edit

Thread split from the Need portable Wireless headphones.

The discussion from this post onwards is nothing concerning wireless hence the split to a thread on it's own.

Edited by N@Z

Oh well... after shopping around in the end my money goes to the Senn PX200...

This is my take of it:

bass is much better than my Senn MX500 (I love bass)

However, because it is not open air like PX100, the mid and high frequencies are a bit "unsounding". I don't know how to describe it... The music just feels like it can't be projected correctly... hmmm... But overall I still llike it. And it's another month of starvation before my next NS allowance comes in...

the PX200 appreciates the use of a portable amp verymuch. Also placement is especially critical for PX200. Instead of the usual placement, try displacing it forward and downward, with varying degrees and see if it does make a positive difference to the sound. Give it some 100 hours of usage/running in, before the sound reaches its full potential.

the PX200 appreciates the use of a portable amp verymuch. Also placement is especially critical for PX200. Instead of the usual placement, try displacing it forward and downward, with varying degrees and see if it does make a positive difference to the sound. Give it some 100 hours of usage/running in, before the sound reaches its full potential.

So what amp do you suggest I use? Looked around but afraid to waste money on lousy crap...

So what amp do you suggest I use? Looked around but afraid to waste money on lousy crap...

Really depends a lot on how much you are willing to spend. I'm not too sure what pairs better with the PX200, relative to others, but posting your budget will help others in helping u select.

How 'bout this: http://www.boostaroo.com/

But it looks real cheesy to me... Regarding the Cmoy2 DIY, erm... I am an electronics idiot... I never touched a single PCB before... let alone solder one... So if any kind soul is willing to make one cmoy2 for me I'll gladly pay $50 for it?

Consider PA2V2.....much has already been discussed. Great value for money at around S$70 or so. Highly transparent and open sound albeit bass is a wee bit less extended but carries impact. It suits closed cans well. I partner it with Beyer DT770Pro (250ohm) while commuting trains.

pa2v2 can be DIYed easily actually

the circuit is just taken off the manufacturer specs sheet

it's built around a solid-state audio amp, 200mW LM4881

btw, I dont think it costs SGD70. closer to 100 when u got it here.

IIRC, shd be USD 60-70, then shipping also not to forget nowadays USD 1 stands at around SGD 1.7

see here : http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

see how, I might have CMOY2, done up, as spare. oh but then again, I'd rather you try first.

pm me abt this matter, T__T||| (note: ur nick very hard to type tongue.gif)

oops... I ordered the pa2v2 already... Sorry... Got it at a discounted price from the guy at... Sorry squalle... but if I feel rich enough next month I might get a cmoy2 from you... hehe... tongue.gif... Sorry about my nick... It's my nick for all forums I visit...