Sign in to follow this  
kahchun

mod DT150 to accept velo pads

Hi Guys, I thinking of purchasing the Beyer DT150. My only concern is that it is using leather pads. Any body have any ideas in modding this headphone to accept velo pads just like the DT990 or DT250??

Haiz, looks like I have not much choice. Went down to AA to test out the Beyer cans, initially, thought that I will definitely buy the DT660 but after listening, felt that it's not my cup of tea when coupled with my Zen micro. In fact, not any of the new Beyers. In the end, likes the DT770 and DT150. DT150 is my first choice but will need to mod it to 35mm plugs and since it's leather I'm concern that I will feel "hot" after listening for too long. Normally, I listen for long hours on flights. Looks like DT770 will be my only choice.

Mackie, any difference between DT770 and DT770Pro?

No difference at all, except on aesthetics. The steel part holding up the cups is black with pro version and raw metal for consumer. In the earlier days, clamp pressure is higher with pro version but they are now the same at 3.5N.

initially, thought that I will definitely buy the DT660 but after listening, felt that it's not my cup of tea when coupled with my Zen micro.

Did you try it with the headphone test setup at AA? The amp there is pretty good, and can drive many cans well enough to give you an idea of the general performance/signature of the cans. A good choice for audition. IMHO, you test for the cans you love most, then you build your system around the cans. Match your amp to the cans you like, and not forgo the cans if it cant match your amp. YMMV.

From what I see, you probably want something with lots of bass. You probably can try out amps with JRC4556 op-amp.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advises. Actually I already have a Beyer DT990, Caiyin HA-1A and Philips CD950 for my home rig. What I want now is a headphone for my portable rig. with my Zen micro. I have 2 portable amps already, DIY CMOY2 and Meta42. Main requirement is closed design, punchy bass, comfort for long listening of upto 4 hours continous listening. By the way, I have also tried the cans with the AA's amp which concludes that my current preference is DT150. I'm currently using Grado SR60(too much sound escape outside the phones) and Senn PX200(uncomfortable)

anyway, anybody has any idea of anybody can custom make velo pads for DT150?

anyway, anybody has any idea of anybody can custom make velo pads for DT150?

Actually it's not too big a concern if you were to wear it in an airconditioned environment. Apply lubricant such as Armor-All on the pads for greater comfort.

lubricant? wont that give a slimy feel?

i do wonder if such a replacement pad for the dt-150's exsist... so im watching this thread with great interest but not holding my breath...

Mackie, thanks for the tip. Where can you buy the lubricant? BTW, on flights sometime can be hot for me after sometime. hahaha.

BTW, I have checked with AA's boss on the pads before, he also told me no solution. Just wondering if there are any people that custom make velos pads. haha, crossfingers. whistling.gif

The lubricant may end up making it feel worse. Can't you cut up a thin piece of velour (or fabric of your choice) & fix it on the pads with double sided tape or something? You only need to trace out the flat area of the pad that touches your skin.

Where can you buy the lubricant?

It's Armour-All......look at the car accessories department.....Homefix, NTUC etc....very commonly found. This liquid are used for dash board and such to produce a slippery feel to surface without leaving any residue. Apply Armour-All on cloth and give it a gloss over the pads.

The BBC-version pads for DT150 are greyish and much softer and thus, more comfortable to wear but they are not available for sale. These were probably produced for BBC's stocks.

Edited by Mackie

Why not ask mother/girlfriend/wife sew you a cloth ring you can fit over the pleather earcups? Give it a try. May look stupid but the DT150 is no beauty anyway. After all, we hifi nuts care only about the music, not the looks right? biggrin.gif