Sign in to follow this  
flemingoh

Conversion Cable for Speaker Out

Hi guys

My integrated amp does not come with a headphone input. Heard that it is possible to drive a headphone (I"m using Beyer 880) through the speakers out by using a conversion cable. Saw a thread on SGHeadphones on it. Not sure whether it will spoil the headphone/amp.

Any guys out there who have experience doing it? Willing to pay for reasonable material + labour costs if this is feasible and cost effective. i'm currently using a Original Master Amp.

Thanks in advance.

flemingoh, i tried dt880 on a baby tube amp using converter months ago, for brief listening for around 15min in one of the local chinese head-fier meet.(you can find the in the old thread)

the noise is audible and not very suitable for headphones.

you can try this: speaker out -> 5W 250ohm -> stereo jack.

but tell you that most likely your orginal master amp will sound better smile.gif just my 2cent

thanks. appreciate it.

are you saying a commercial converter is available? would you know the costs and place to buy?

somehow still itchy to try ...

not commercial.. it's DIY converter. pretty simple actually.

even DIY should be less than 10 bucks.

Edited by huangyong

Thanks. Apologies for asking more questions as i'm clueless about DIY/electronics.

Do you know which outlet in singapore sells the parts? Do i tell the guy i need parts for a speaker output converter for headphones (5W 250ohm, stereo jack)? Is it just simply connecting the parts?

I recall seeing a picture of the converter on this forum ...

Thanks!

why not take a pic of ur integrated amp

let's see what I can help you

I'll try to guide you as much. are you convenient in doing the soldering urself?

Thanks. Apologies for asking more questions as i'm clueless about DIY/electronics.

squalle, don't think he knows soldering. go help him.. laugh.gif

flemingoh: Is it true you already have an Original Master amp? If so, it's not worth the while to drive DT880 from your integrated amp as you could risk destroying the drivers that actually require relatively much lower current to drive than speakers. Imagine killing a chick using a knife meant for a cow....U might end up getting hurt! Signal passes through more circuitry to reach the speakers-out than headphone-out, thus resulting in more signal deterioration and noise interference. As yet, only the AKG K1000 benefits from being driven out of an amp's speakers output owing to the need for higher power and the fact that K1000 are not exactly headphones but ear-speakers.

Edited by Mackie

I'm currently driving the Beyer with the Original Master Headamp. I'm also using an Audio Refinement Integrated amp and loved the sound coming out of the speakers. Hence, itchiness to try using a converter for the speaker outs for the Beyer.

Mackie, note your points. I certainly don't want to ruin the drivers or getting a shock!

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.