Sign in to follow this  
Futura

AKG K701 or HD650?

I read your other posts, so everyone's been to your place for auditioning already huh. I'll let you know when I get back yea?? headphone.gif  $50 rite?

I've read your other posts as well. Dress up like one of those tokyo uncles and he might even invite you over and give you a free ES7. whistling.gif

No, usually I tell them stories about the merlion and end up with a free R10. Now I already got R10 in serial no. 4, 62, 128, 555 and 999. I need to work harder to complete the collection. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

??? Japanese Uncle ?? 5 63 139 666 888?? mellow.gif Futura won't be able to get his X'mas present already. biggrin.gif

Futura needs some replies/affirmation for his 3 questions

1) Comfort is my major concern. After listened to HD600, I realized how painful it is to put the HF-1 on my head.

2) Enough with bright pair of phones. Please, no more piercing highs like grados...

3) Must be good in bass department.

I haven't heard the 701 so cant comment, i have the 650 for about 1 year and the 600 for around 3 years.

The 600 costs 2/3 the price of 650 and you can use the 1/3 saving to buy the replacement cable and it's noway inferior than the 650. Both 650 n 600 needs replacement cable to up their sound reproduction quality.

The 650 has an "apparently stronger" bass than 600 that i personally find it abit overwhelming and imho overshadow the good mid and high frequencies. However, if it's what you want, a prominent bass, then it's ok.

They aren't bright.

They are comfortable but the beyer880 is more comfortable than the 2. tongue.gif

hope it helps! laugh.gif

Thanks Charis for your comments on HD650. Guess I will get them online instead of buy it retail. Save a lot I think. Have been reading some posts in head-fi praised about how amazing and accurate was the K701...wacko.gif

Edited by Futura

The K701 is FOTM at Head-fi right now, so it might be good to take some of the comments with a pinch of salt.

Charismatic, I don't find bass on the HD650 to be overwhelming, except on the more bassy tracks like some of those in Metallica's Black Album. But it indeed has more bass than the HD600, which I feel is a step up rather than a detriment to the overall presentation.

I remembered the time when the Sharp MD33s were the Flavour of the Month. lol. Yea, now's the W5000 and the A900Ltd's are the in cans.

Futura<<I don't think you'll go wrong with the Senns. It's been around for a good long time. Good luck on your purchase!

Razer<<Why 4 62 128 555 999? lol, because I couldn't get hold of 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10....,61,63,64.....,127,129.. laugh.gif

So guys, if I can't appreciate the K701s, I probably can forget about the senns eh? I have not been able to listen to one except at the audio stores. Looks like now I'll just major into my Aths then. happy.gif

No, its more like the W5000 as the FOTM....Anyways, the K701 sounds great...

Well a quick check on Head-fi yielded quite a number of recent K701 threads (started in the past month), and a large number of views and replies in most threads. The ATH-W5000 has indeed received quite a lot of attention as well, but there's apparently greater "hype" surrounding the K701's as a possible candidate to "dethrone" the HD650, etc. etc..

And I am not saying that all the K701 impressions are invalid. There must be some merit to the cans to justify the outpouring of adoration, but as always, some can get engulfed in the hype and fall victim to exaggerated veneration that cannot stand the test of time. Only time will time whether the K701 will enjoy the permanent cult status enjoyed by the other "tried and tested" cans.

Edited by Absolute0

yeah..I guess so...So the best solution was to get everything mentioned on headfi....

Razer<<Why 4 62 128 555 999? lol, because I couldn't get hold of 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10....,61,63,64.....,127,129.. laugh.gif

I've got the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...that's why... tongue.gif

yeah..I guess so...So the best solution was to get everything mentioned on headfi....

LOL. That would be the best thing to do, but we all know it's impossible, unless of course, you are Bill Gates.innocent.gif

So the next best thing would be to wait for the hype to settle down before deciding whether to get the cans. Or get the "tried and tested" ones. *hint* HD650 *hint* laugh.gif

The K701 is FOTM at Head-fi right now, so it might be good to take some of the comments with a pinch of salt.

Charismatic, I don't find bass on the HD650 to be overwhelming, except on the more bassy tracks like some of those in Metallica's Black Album. But it indeed has more bass than the HD600, which I feel is a step up rather than a detriment to the overall presentation.

I have followed the threads on 701 in head-fi also, 701 is not a direct replacement of k1000.

The best is to have both, for covering various genre of music. In fact you can have various can for various genre of music. That's the good thing about HP listening. happy.gif You can have several pair of speakers for speaker setup also....of course...but.... mellow.gif

I think Futura is considering 650, so you win. tongue.gif

A900Ltd's are the in cans

I have these and I understand why people are excited about them...very good,...everything I like about my W1000s with more base and better isolation.

I think Futura is considering 650, so you win. tongue.gif

LOL. Do I get a prize? yawn.gif I am actually yearning to hear the K701's...

Like everyone else, I'm just offering a subjective opinion. The best advice: trust your own ears. wink.gif And if that means el cheapo iPod earbuds sound the best to you, then power to you (and your wallet)!