red_ryder

Recommendations for cheap closed headphones

A friend of mine is looking for cheap headphones (<$100) to use on planes, any recommendations? Ideally closed phones. Is it possible to buy adapters in Singapore so that normal headphones can plug into the airplane seat? If so, where can I get them?

What are you looking for? Active or passive noise cancelling?

The PX200 fits his budget nicely. It's a closed earphone but not too sure how's the isolation as never heard it.

For adapter, what airline is he taking. Read somewhere here that some airlines has different jacks.

For adapter, what airline is he taking. Read somewhere here that some airlines has different jacks.

It's usually the same 2-pin "F" jacks. How about Beyer DT231? Maybe AA has a special price for the Festive Season? wink.gif

Koss Plugs, you didn't say good sound quality was a criteria, just cheap!

It's usually the same 2-pin "F" jacks. How about Beyer DT231? Maybe AA has a special price for the Festive Season? wink.gif

My friend flies mainly SIA, I think its the 2 pin type.

Mackie, where in Singapore can we get an F jack adapter? Would Robert at LHS sell?

Sennheiser has an adapter, you can email them to ask.

Seriously, why not tell him/her up the budget and get e2c?

Airplane adaptors can be found in basement of Sim Lim Tower (no brand, lower quality abt $2-3 each) or PK Computer/ Best Denki@ Plaza Singapura (Travel Pac $12 +). If I am not wrong, even Hung might now be carrying some.

For completeness, a level attenuator from Shure is useful if IEMs are to be used. tongue.gif

Seems like Beyer Dynamics is really hot here in SGheadphones....Its sort of like a without fail, every thread has someone recommending a Beyer can sort of affair....

Back to the OT, ditto to the PX200 suggestion. With that price, and your friend wants headphones....The PX200's a pretty good choice. And yeah, like what lekguan had said, its probably good to upz the budget a little.

Seems like Beyer Dynamics is really hot here in SGheadphones....Its sort of like a without fail, every thread has someone recommending a Beyer can sort of affair....

Back to the OT, ditto to the PX200 suggestion. With that price, and your friend wants headphones....The PX200's a pretty good choice. And yeah, like what lekguan had said, its probably good to upz the budget a little.

Although Anything Audio isn't in the forum but there are the usual beyer supporter/s who never fail to miss a recommendation for a good headphone, since i haven't own a beyer yet, that will be one of my new year resolution before Feb. laugh.gif

1) Sennheiser PX-200 - about $95++

2) AKG K26P - about $79++ ( similar to the PX-200 but more emphasis on the bass section)

3) Sennheiser HD-201 - about $39++ ( more of a standard headphone )

Looking through my Ammo Dump, seems like only 2 pairs of Senn and one pair of Grado stand out from a larger collection of Beyers. Hence, your would already have an idea what my choice of weapon and experience lies. happy.gif Just as well cos I listen to a few respectul guys here in regards to Grado, Senn and Audio Technica.

Wow....that's 6 beyers in a collection....A few more and you'll be our official beyer dynamics advocate biggrin.gif I don't mind being the Audio Technica version of that... tongue.gif

Edited by razer

Good observation razer.A good sign for sgheadphone forum, we have a diversed groups of users-AT,beyer, sen,grados, shure, etc-and that's what forum is all about, sharing of info, argue, debate, and ultimately benefiting both members and newbies, and this is how a forum grows.We're no different from other HiFi forums, there is always groups favouring JMLab, Rogers, Harbeth, Dynaudio, KEF, etc, Keep it up! party.gif