Sign in to follow this  
radioactive28

Amping for ER6i?

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but after listening on my ER6i for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to feel they're a little flat. As in, not sounding very lively. There's no issue about their clarity though.

Is this inherent to IEMs, or could the phones do with amping?

Any good portable amp that I can get locally?

Thanks

Thats one of the reason why i got rid of my ER6i. Cannot engage me in the music. blink.gif

Thats one of the reason why i got rid of my ER6i. Cannot engage me in the music. blink.gif

even if amped? i thought amping it will greatly improve its sound?

Is this inherent to IEMs, or could the phones do with amping?

The etys are one of the most clinical (or flat) phones I have heard. I believe shure's are more for you if you want something more "lively". Amping doesn't help a lot with IEMs, from past experience. At least not in changing something flat to something lively.

even if amped? i thought amping it will greatly improve its sound?

Not much difference. Its bass only 'improves' a little, the treble is still rolled off at the upper range. Partly because the internal amp of the Shuffle and Discman are quite 'good', can drive the ER6i fairly well. Music still lacks impact. Sounded boring to me. So got rid of it. Having said that, it does respond very well to EQing or bass boosting.

I want a minimalist set-up, so no amp on the go, just the Shuffle and earphones. (Can stuff into pocket) The CK7 served me quite well and i find them to be superior to the ER6i SQ/built quality wise.

I tried it amped on a Yamaha - the bass improves slightly (as mentioned), but the vocals I was listening to sounded like it had a very rough edge. The same vocals sounded very smooth unamped on my Discman. I was listening to Corrinne May.

Edit: To be more exact, the upper range sounded boosted and the percussion was brighter. Hence the 'rough edge' in the vocal (the only term I have to describe it is 脆).

Edited by radioactive28

Using it with my shuffle. Not a very engaging earphone. However, it sounded much better when amp-ed, but is too much of a hassle to bring an amp around with the shuffle. My amp's based on CMoy and Grado's RA-1 btw, with ad8066.