Sign in to follow this  
acidboy84

Monster Cable

Saw this at Adlephi yesterday for $25. Is it a good buy and how the cable sounds like?

The THX-certified is only applicable to home theater systems built along this specs. Unless this is your intent, view it as merely a marketing ploy. I would rather spend the $25 on a canare cable which I think is more detailed than Monster's beginner's range.

Thanks Mackie. So how much a 5m canare cable costs?

Depends on which cable but price/meter should not exceed S$10 (overstatement.....ususally in the range of +/- S$5?). Check with Robert at LHS for price of cable and even the total cost of terminating a pair as interconnects. U need not spend much on the RCA connectors. If you fancy ready made Klotz pro audio cables or DIY Klotz GY107 cables, check with Albert at AA.

Edited by Mackie

LHS did carry the GY107 w/ Neutriks at one time. Are they still carrying them?

Robert is one approchable fellow for cables from my experience. He would advise and patiently wait for your decision and at times he would tell you not to overspend on certain cables and instead purchase something more bang for buck! He's deifinitely a respectible seller.

Company Name : LHS Electronics Enterprise

Address : 10 Jalan Besar #02-27 SIM LIM TOWER Singapore 208787

Tel : 62932242

Fax : 62921150

Saw this at Adlephi yesterday for $25. Is it a good buy and how the cable sounds like?

For a $25 mini-RCA, the sound is warmish with reasonable detail. I find it great for late night watching of DVDs/TV (RCAs out ->portable amp ->cans) in the bedroom.

IMHO, a very fair price compared to the, often more expensive, mass market offerings in Harvey Norman, Best or even Sim Lim.

I would not consider it 'audiophile' by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not sure if LHS is able to fabricate a mini-RCA though?

I would say at this price range, DIY is the most value for money. Canare L2T2S would be a good try. Do remember to use good RCA/mini plugs! (probably something like Canare F-12 mini and Canare F-09 or F-10 RCA plugs). Canare L-4E6S star quad mic cable is the 4-core variant of L-2T2S and should be better, unfortunately it seems robert doesn't sell them in loose lengths. Another cable which is usually recommended above these 2 is the Mogami 2534 Neglex star quad mic cable.

THX certified? LOL Ok.

Mogami make some very nice cables as well part no 2893 or the thicker Mogami Neglex 2534. Both IMO outperform the Klotz GY107. Both mogami cost about S$4 per meter though. Get the Canare mini. Take a look here as well to make your Kimber PBJ clone :-) http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...c=381&hl=canare.

Have fun.

I just hope that people who comment that diy cables are better, have actually heard the monster RCA to mini before and not putting it off just because it's "THX", "monster" and "mass marketing + widely available". Cables shouldn't be mark better or not by the cable or plug itself but also by the equipment that goes along and the listener's "personal taste for music.

I've used Monster cables since late 80s and currently employ a few for my home theater systems. From experience, the beginner's range tends to sound warm and slightly bass heavy and at the expense of details. They sound better than those in hardware stores but unlikely to surpass that by Klotz, Belden and Canare. In fact, I find cheaper Monster cables quite similar to Klotz GY107 from mid range and down but none of the details the latter exudes.

Edited by Mackie

side track abit. where to find bullet plug in singapore?

Mod reply: Try Musiclink

Edited by Mackie

My first 'proper' IC is monster 400mk2 that i bought base on hifi magazine review and had used it for > half a year. It is warm and bass heavy and when paired with my marantz 5000 and creek hp amp, too much of warm air blows to my face.

I changed to a 0.5m supra IC which the AVIT link sales man said that it's has an 'Airly' characteristic. The problem on too much of warm air was gone.