Sign in to follow this  
elmo

DT880 2006Edition

Finally DT880 is in town kicking.gif Got a SMS from anything audio and went there pronto. First impression, beyer is paying more attention to design. Second, the 'leather' bag is definitely impressive than cold hard aluminium box. It is fresh from the box, but already sound typical Beyer-big! It is sad there is no old vs new, as the owner has sold all its old version. Definitely coming back again to demo within the week.

based on the sms I received as well, the price of the dt880 is $399. No mention of the new dt990.

I sure would like to know the price of the new dt990 as well..

AA has only 10 pieces of DT880 2006...so gotta hurry and grab one now...DT990 2006 will be on the next shipment...(all based on messages from AA)...

Sorry lah bro, was on way back home, so dropped by to steal a peek at DT880.I just got 10 min of demo, so can;t comment much, i can only visit aa again next week, so perhaps some other can put a comment or two? smoke.gif

Sorry lah bro, was on way back home, so dropped by to steal a peek at DT880.I just got 10 min of demo, so can;t comment much, i can only visit aa again next week, so perhaps some other can put a comment or two? smoke.gif

Why not knock off early today and drop by along the way tonite again? whistling.gif

I think I remember reading somewhere that the dt880 is just a facelift, but I could be wrong...but hey, I still like the old design more, plus the aluminium box.. happy.gif

It is the dt990 that is likely to get more than a facelift, now that it is in the top spot of the line-up.

hmm

anyone owning old model care for comparison? smile.gif

anyway, those features that beyer decided to keep are those good ones

they kicked away the coil cable

hmm why dun they make the cable detachable... easier for me to try changing the cable.

see if I can open it up easily and see wat's inside

askl2000: anything to substantiate that? i mean from where u read, whoever stated just a "facelift" has any proves? measurement? not just those "audiophilic" words tongue.gif

not that I'm defending beyer or anything.

my 1st beyer anyway tongue.gif

I just wanna know more. if it's just a facelift then I think beyer ought to convey that somehow....

I just dont like corporates that hide things

here's a quote from head-fi that a representative from beyerdynamic sent an email (about manufaktur options, pricing, changes to the new line-up etc.) to one of the headfiers:

========

Thank you for your E-mail and your request. Kindly excuse our late reply due to the quantity of messages which we have received during the last weeks as feedback on the beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR and the headphone configurator. Please find our answers to your questions below.

For the grill of the DT 880 we decided to offer this only without painting because the real material - stainless steel - shall be stressed. The grill of the DT 990 is an electro-plated part (this explains a part of the model's higher price). We can also imagine to offer this in different colors but first we want to wait and see what customers prefer.

The stainless steel (name) plate is a design element of the headphone. Of course it can be removed (to assure that spare parts can be exchanged easily), but the idea is also to have this individualized with a name or other text.

As the capsules as well as the dimensions inside has been hardly modified compared with the predecessors the sound remains the same or is even better.

The prices now reflect the real differences (unlike the pricing of the old models) and refer to the quality and quantity of the headphones. On one hand the new DT 990 is our top model in terms of sound excellence, on the other hand we produce this model in lower quantities.

The predecessor of the new DT 880 has been equipped with an aluminium box. This has been replaced by an exclusive synthetic leather case for all three models, including a foam case inside. The standard ear cushions remain the same, the headband has changed. However, be assured that spare parts like headband and earpads for your model will still be available within the next years as part of our customer service. In case you need to replace parts please feel free to contact our US distributor.

The headphone configurator (www.beyerdynamic.de/manufaktur) will be available in English language end of September 2005, the configurable headphones will be available end of October 2005. International customers will also be able to order it directly.

We hope we have answered all your questions sufficiently. If you need further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG

Michael Ehl

Business Unit Manager Consumer Products

==========