viconte

Just got my Little Dot III! (LD3, LDIII)

Ok, very very early impressions.

My source is a emu 0404, using Klotz SQ422 Starquad interconnects, Cans are AKG 271 and HD 650.

I have used the 'Original' Master amp (also from china) before and currently have a Hornet.

Initial impressions:

Compared with Master and Hornet, Soundstage is very wide, very spacious. I felt that vocals might improve, will be smoother, after burn-in.

I love saxophone pieces on the LD3, very intoxicating! this is only 1 hour of use.

Other thoughts:

There's always some smell (burning kind) coming fr the LD3, I hope it will subside after awhile...

The tubes are hot!!! really hot! At first i cant get any sound out blush.gif Den I switched the 2 big tubes (hot!) and music came...

When there's no music played... I can always hear a hum..... keep ringing in my ears... it's not my ears... i tried the Hornet and no such hum.. I guess it's the tubes?

Oh ya, when I accidently hit on the volume knob, it gives out a tingling sound...

Conclusion:

I like wat im hearing now... will post more impressions if i have time... hey CNY coming soon, gtg celebrate wink.gif

Cheers happy.gif

Oh pics... from another forum which i bought the LD3

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by viconte

thanks for the early impressions

i think the sound is the what htey called "microphone effect" or something else.

the LD 2 has the same sound 2.

pics, pls wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

microphonic. smile.gif

i heard it's quite common with tube. LD3 is also my first tube.

i heard tube dampeners can help to resolve the issue somewhat, although i haven't tried.

it's just not bothering me enough.

on the hum issue, some people suggested the PSU to be moved away from the amplifier unit. see if that helps. are you sure it's the amp and not a source issue?

on the burning smell issue, yes, i too experienced the same thing.

now i just don't notice it anymore. maybe it's ok now? or it could be that i have just gotten used to it that i don't notice it anymore.

I think you guys might want to open up your amps just to check that there are no deformed or leaking electrolytic caps. Just as a safety precaution. Burning smell does not sound normal.

the PSU should be away from the amp as much as possible IMHO, same to my current rig

and i m just wondering if the Burning smell is because of the paint on it?

the PSU should be away from the amp as much as possible IMHO, same to my current rig

and i m just wondering if the Burning smell is because of the paint on it?

Most of the new equipment I have used give out some odd smell when running when new. Probably the transformer and flux on the board?

It's the smell of paint on chassis exposed to heat from within. This should subside in a week or two.

Well the 'burning' smell is gone!

Vocals now sound very smooth IMO. I only have limited listening experience to amps, only the Original Master Amp and RSA hornet.

I really like this amp. Listening to music now is very enjoyable. Soundstage is definitely much wider than my 'Original' Master amp, really spacious, makes you feel very comfortable with the 'air' around the music you listen to. Bass is really punchy and plentiful without masking over the mids or highs, really low thumps can be heard and the effect can be felt on my HD650! Silky is how I would describe the sound, Stacey Kent sounds like she's singing live next to me... my ears like everything about it biggrin.gif Makes u wanna listen to all your CDs and MP3s again! I amazed how I enjoyed listening to all of them again party.gif

The only cons is the humming sound, when i slightly tap my desktop, i can heard a hum... haha... but when music is on the hum goes away.... so not a prob for me.

Do take note I only have limited exp listening to amps, im sure there are better amps out there, but to my ears everything just sounded very right and good to me, just shocking in my opinion, a very huge upgrade for me.. so your mileage may vary happy.gif

if there is noticeable sounding difference when the headphone is under different adjusted resistors? have u tried to drive speakers yet?

thanks wub.gif

The only cons is the humming sound, when i slightly tap my desktop, i can heard a hum... haha... but when music is on the hum goes away.... so not a prob for me

Try to detect which tube is microphonic and once U've found the culprit, U might wanna give this tube a little tilt from its socket and sometimes, the microphonic effects may be alleviated or even totally eradicated. I've tried this on Cayin HA-1A. However, if no amount of adjustment or positioning lesses the detrimental effect, the tube is at fault.