Comparing Spec on Ear piece.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone here is a Earpiece Guru that understand the Specs:

Driver Diameter Ø: Example: 12mm Neo

Frequency Response: Example 5-25,000Hz

Output S.P.L.: Example 100 dB/mW

Impedence Ω: Example 16 ohms at 1 kHz

Max. Input Power: Example 100mW

I'm trying to buy 1 good earpiece with solid sounds. But comparing the spec and prices, seem very confusing. They could have the same spec but pricing is $50 difference by different manufacturer.

The only way for us consumer is by looking at the spec then we purchase unless we can have a demo.

Would really appreciate if anyone knows.

Duno if I'm right,

Guide me If I'm wrong.

It seems like

Driver Diameter Ø: Bigger the better but of course earpiece have a limited.

Frequency Response: More range is better

Output S.P.L.: Lower is better

Impedence Ω: Higher is better

Max. Input Power: Not sure...

really hope someone will have some answers to my doubts.

Specs doesnt mean everything... Those that has fantastic spec like wider frequency range does not mean it will sound worse then those that has smaller range... However u have to see the Impedence, u will then know whther the earphone /headphone is an easily driven or need an amp to shine...

Example : Grado SR60 range 20- 20k sound so much better then SOny EX71 at 9 - 25k..

hi bryan, welcome to sgheadphones!

well, i'm not a Guru but let me try to explain

i'm kinda agree with nakedtoes, you can't look on the frequency response rating to determine the sound

i'm not sure how headphone manufacturers in general define the term frequency response, but from experience, it is not about the 3dB bandwidth

driver diameter: naturally, bigger things tend to vibrate easier at lower frequency. but, it doesn't mean that headphones with bigger driver diameter can produce more and better bass than the smaller ones, so this spec doesn't matter to the sound quality. smaller driver tends to have lower max input power.

output spl: (spl stands for sound pressure level) basically this spec tells you how efficient the transducer convert electrical power to sound pressure. this is how to read it: at 1 mW the driver can produce sound at x dB level. the higher the number is better, especially for portable use as the latest portable music player these days tend to have a low output power

impedance: well this is kinda technical, but in short it basically determines the amplification requirement. low impedance phones (16-32 ohm at 1kHz is the norm) only need a small voltage amplification, but the amplifier needs to be able to produce more current. a low impedance phone gives more (current) load to the amplifier. a high impedance phone (100-600 ohm) need more voltage amplification but doesn't need that much current.

for portable use, a low impedance phone is preferable as most portable players is rated for low impedance phones (all earbuds have low impedance anyway, 16 or 32 ohm shouldn't matter much)

max. input power rating: basically the input power level before the the headphone driver breakdown. and as the input power goes up, it is expected that the headphone driver capability will degrades and distorts the sound before finally the driver is spoilt. so higher max input power rating is preferable as it will give more room before the distortion due to headphone driver set in.

The only way for us consumer is by looking at the spec then we purchase unless we can have a demo.

yes i know how you feel. i also hope there's a simpler and better way to help consumer choose headphones.

Let me be cheeky here....

Girl 1

Vital stats: 34/23/33

Race: Chinese

Highest education: Degree

Girl 2

Vital stats: 33/22/33

Race: Chinese

Highest education: Diploma

Question is.......who will be the best wife for you?

Answer? Can't decide this way cos one has to have a relationship (audition) and not look at the above details (specs) before a better conclusion is drawn. Girl 1's vital stats (freq response) seems better but may not necessarily translate to a better wife. Hence, we face the same dilema.....have to face setback, ups and downs in courtship before settling down with The One. This path to audio nirvana can be made easier with forums like us but too bad there aint a "Seeking wife" forum.

No offense to the ladies cos the same applies to men. Just change vital stats to circumference of biceps? laugh.gif

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, i will choose girl 1... she got bigger boobs 

Naughty boy......I conclude you like circumaural cans. So please stay away from supraural design ya?

come to think of it. I own a pair of grados, which were supra-aural. Then I sent them for plastic surgery, added in circum-aural Beyer pads!

My main setup for home. I have fun with my iems when I'm on the road... wink.gif

I've got a related question: What's with this 3dB bandwidth thing? Is it a measure of output deviation?

Anyone can enlight?

Something like that i think. Its the loudness/volume. eg 50Hz-6KHz at 3dB and 20Hz-16Hz at 6dB. (ER6i's specs) That means you have to listen at a louder 6dB to get its max frequency range. How do you know when you reach 6dB? I have no idea too! lol.gif