kusboy

closed headphone recommendation 4 me....

guys,

as above....i need a closed headphone 4 listening to metal music (note: me prefer higher impedance >30ohm)........thankz

Let me put it short and sweet, audition them at Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point opposite Woodlands MRT and Anything Audio (Sonovox) on 3rd floor of Parklane Shopping Center near Dhoby Ghaut mrt.

Let me put it short and sweet, audition them at Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point opposite Woodlands MRT and Anything Audio (Sonovox) on 3rd floor of Parklane Shopping Center near Dhoby Ghaut mrt.

personal audition is the best.........thanks 4 the address.....

Do you have a budget? That would kinda narrow down ur choice abit...I've got a feeling that you'll end up with a Beyer....This site seems pro beyer.... tongue.gif Must start my personal crusade to convert everyone to AT.... tongue.gif

This site seems pro beyer....  Must start my personal crusade to convert everyone to AT.... 

Half a glass of water perceptions apply, perhaps you are anti-beyer? tongue.gif

Actually the recommended places have a significant common factor............auditions are allowed and welcomed, plus good sales service without pressure. Incidentally, Aaron and Albert have gained enough credence from fellow forumers. Moreover, Stereo carries Grado, Senn, AT, AKG, Koss etc while AA carries predominantly Beyer and a bit of Ultrasone. Anyone who can suggest another place that offers the abovementioned service and product range will be welcomed.

Anyway, a jedi can only influence the minds of the weak. I don't believe in converting anyone but it's more productive and satisfying for fellow forumers to adopt an open mind and try anything and everthing to discover his palate and improve his sound system. I believe that's the key objective and course to undertake in our forum. Xtremeplace's direction in home theater and Echoloft's in audio systems are good examples.

How's th Ultrasone? Read a bit about them but seldom heard from guys here talking about them... Maybe Mackie should write another detail review for us? tongue.gif

No need to write a review on Ultrasone, if you don't read much comments about it here, you'd already have an idea. Personally, I feel that any other make oftenly discussed here is way better than an Ultrasone for the same price and design.

Do you have a budget? That would kinda narrow down ur choice abit...I've got a feeling that you'll end up with a Beyer....This site seems pro beyer.... tongue.gif Must start my personal crusade to convert everyone to AT.... tongue.gif

my budget is around 500 bucks....:)any recommendations?

-ohn' date='Mar 16 2006, 09:44 AM'] How's th Ultrasone? Read a bit about them but seldom heard from guys here talking about them... Maybe Mackie should write another detail review for us? tongue.gif

I have an Ultrasone 650. They are pretty decent. A bit analytical before break-in. For the price I got it for, no complaints.

guys....any recommendation....i prefer other headphone brands than senn as i'm getting a 595 for home listening and i'm quite lost in finding a good closed headphone........so help me ........smile.gif

Maybe you could try the following. I was looking for a pair for a few months as well. Make my decision on Audio Technica AD900 in the end due to my music preference.

Below are my personal preference.

1) Senn 280 Pro -- Quite balance sound throughout but bass could do with more punch and highs could be a bit bright sometimes.

2) AKG 271 -- Very musical sounding, but could be too laid back, highs, bass punch and extension is limited.

3) Beyer DT770 -- Very punchy bass, maybe too much at times and need amp to drive. Very bright and detailed sounding. Good for rock and metal music. most comfy of the lot here due to its velo pads.

4) Beyer DT150 -- A more neutral version of DT770, with lesser bass punch but more extension. Not as bright as well. In fact very musical sounding, but too ugly. Hard to drive as well.

5) Audio Technica AD990 -- A more bass punch and extension version of AKG271. Though not laid back to me, but may sound too slow for some. Very good for classical and vocals and pops. It almost sound like the Senn 595 but closed version.

You could try the Beyer phones at Anything Audio at Parklane. As for the rest, try them at Hung Bros at Sim Lim or Stereo at Causeway Pt.

Hope the above helps a bit. At the end of the day, you must audition yourself.

Edited by kahchun

5) Audio Technica AD990 -- A more bass punch and extension version of AKG271. Though not laid back to me, but may sound too slow for some. Very good for classical and vocals and pops. It almost sound like the Senn 595 but closed version.

Sorry but I thought the AD series are Audio Technica's open cans? Do you mean the A900 instead? happy.gif

Maybe you could try the following. I was looking for a pair for a few months as well. Make my decision on Audio Technica AD900 in the end due to my music preference.

Below are my personal preference.

1) Senn 280 Pro -- Quite balance sound throughout but bass could do with more punch and highs could be a bit bright sometimes.

2) AKG 271 -- Very musical sounding, but could be too laid back, highs, bass punch and extension is limited.

3) Beyer DT770 -- Very punchy bass, maybe too much at times and need amp to drive. Very bright and detailed sounding. Good for rock and metal music. most comfy of the lot here due to its velo pads.

4) Beyer DT150 -- A more neutral version of DT770, with lesser bass punch but more extension. Not as bright as well. In fact very musical sounding, but too ugly. Hard to drive as well.

You could try the Beyer phones at Anything Audio at Parklane. As for the rest, try them at Hung Bros at Sim Lim or Stereo at Causeway Pt.

Hope the above helps a bit. At the end of the day, you must audition yourself.

thanks for the helpful tips.....u been a great help in narrowing down the choice of headphones.......

This site seems pro beyer....  Must start my personal crusade to convert everyone to AT.... 

Half a glass of water perceptions apply, perhaps you are anti-beyer? tongue.gif

Actually the recommended places have a significant common factor............auditions are allowed and welcomed, plus good sales service without pressure. Incidentally, Aaron and Albert have gained enough credence from fellow forumers. Moreover, Stereo carries Grado, Senn, AT, AKG, Koss etc while AA carries predominantly Beyer and a bit of Ultrasone. Anyone who can suggest another place that offers the abovementioned service and product range will be welcomed.

Anyway, a jedi can only influence the minds of the weak. I don't believe in converting anyone but it's more productive and satisfying for fellow forumers to adopt an open mind and try anything and everthing to discover his palate and improve his sound system. I believe that's the key objective and course to undertake in our forum. Xtremeplace's direction in home theater and Echoloft's in audio systems are good examples.

Haha...I'am ok with Beyers....Just that I find them boring... tongue.gif But I've yet to get my hands on those DT770....really love them lots!