Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Save sgHeadphones

Do you want to save sgHeadphones?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Absolute0

2. MatBon0013

3. N@Z

4. gfgfMoses

5. heady

6. Mychew (count me in, I can help a bit)

7. Nakedtoes.

8. Q00

9. afbug

10. evian_vortex

11.Kube

12 Bpribadi

13. lekguan

14. Kippei

15. RB26DETT

I have absolutely ZERO knowledge in database and forum management. But willing to learn and offer as much help as possible..! party.gif

1. Absolute0

2. MatBon0013

3. N@Z

4. gfgfMoses

5. heady

7. Nakedtoes.

8. Q00

9. afbug

10. evian_vortex

11.Kube

12 Bpribadi

13. lekguan

14. Kippei

15. RB26DETT

16. Firefox

No PHP(nuke) and very little SQL knowledge but shouldn't be that difficult to learn. Won't be able to dedicate that much time but will try and see what I can do.. Perhaps mychew can teach us the ropes..

1. Absolute0

2. MatBon0013

3. N@Z

4. gfgfMoses

5. heady

7. Nakedtoes.

8. Q00

9. afbug

10. evian_vortex

11.Kube

12 Bpribadi

13. lekguan

14. Kippei

15. RB26DETT

16. Firefox

17. neutralzz

i used to run my hall's forum on phpbb, and currently manages a couple of sites.

invision board's very similar to phpbb

given current hosting plans, its not difficult to manage forums anymore as they can repair tables on their own.

its more important to know the bandwidth required, and the size of hosting as well.... which is more crucial

Edited by neutralzz

IMHO - the number of people not important as having a person who can organise the rest. This person need not have IT knowledge. Need someone on this forum for some time and know the rules etc which have evolved over time.

People like me, only join for short time should do supporting roles, eg moderating etc. So can we have volunteers from the "lao chiao" please for the "tai kor". biggrin.gif

Also, can ablaze tell us if this forum is hosted by commercial company or in his own computer? Or whatever. Will we need to find a new server etc. Thanks for your hard work in the past, ablaze, it is appreciated. party.gif

Edited by heady

IF a change of web host is required, I think I'll be able to help.

I know of someone who's in the industry, maybe he'd be willing to to offer cheaper prices.

how abt contacting pHing on hardwarezone and ask if we could integrate the whole database into one of their subforums?

they host their own servers etc and so far a while back pHing was thinking of setting up a Hometheatre related sub-forum, then again, we could do with a headphone subforum as well.

viewership on hwz is much higher as well. moderation system can remain preserved

hwz's amount of advertisement sucks. i'll never agree to handing sgheadphones over to hwz.

but then again, who am i to comment? i'm just another forumer like everyone else.

hwz's amount of advertisement sucks. i'll never agree to handing sgheadphones over to hwz.

but then again, who am i to comment? i'm just another forumer like everyone else.

I have the same view re: advertisements BUT given a choice of no sgheadphones or sgheadphones with adverts, you know my choice. Anyway, the important thing is that this community survives.

how abt contacting pHing on hardwarezone and ask if we could integrate the whole database into one of their subforums?

they host their own servers etc and so far a while back pHing was thinking of setting up a Hometheatre related sub-forum, then again, we could do with a headphone subforum as well.

viewership on hwz is much higher as well. moderation system can remain preserved

bro! that's what I meant when I said "I'll ask around". errr I thought you guys know?

you can adblock most of the advertisements like most users do

you can check out www.carma.com.sg that runs off hwz as well

same for http://forums.gameaxis.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

all subdivisions off the original HWZ

then again i'm a deluxe member maybe i wouldnt experience as much adverts over there.

due to the large database of sg-headphones, backing up will be an issue as well, more over database management etc.

depending on the number of visitors, the bandwidth is questionable too..

but then again if anyone could find a better way to host the forums, i.e. from home, or can find a cheap deal with some hosting service.. then it would be great..

so far i havent be hosting huge stuff, but on average i spend abt $150 hosting 3 domains, on a small 250mb space, but unlimited sql, unlimited emails, and unlimited b/w

the SG headphone database would probably be a few times that size, and at the same time needs to be constantly backed up to prevent loss of all the much older pioneering discussions and posts. i would say ablaze has done a very good job in putting everything together and keeping it up for 4 years.

How about ask shops like STEREO who shamelessly posts ads without paying a cent. They have been leeching long enough. It's high time they do their little bit for this community.

Haha iconic, easy biggrin.gif i did suggest earlier that they hold a annual get-together for forumers mah, of course include food and beer lol logical suggestion though, since i m sure many forumers buy stuff from them.maybe can even recruit more dealers to participate and sponsor in our future plans...but never see dealer participation except stereo, or they don't need/bother and prefer to stay neutral?

OMGWTF! No.. Any other site except HWZ...