Sign in to follow this  
sonofdbn

Pls recommend headphone under S$200

I'm looking for headphones (no IEMs) costing less than $200 - currently considering the ATH-A500 or A700

Usage will be to listen via foobar on my laptop and Creative Digital Music SX, mainly classical and rock. I'm currently using Logitech USB headphones (!) I bought for Skype. They are better than I expected for music but I think I could do much better while keeping the cost under $200.

I want to keep things simple, so I don't want to get headphones which require an amp or any modding or special cable.

I'm looking for a decent soundstage and bass, and something comfortable to wear - usually don't have the aircon on, so nothing too hot.

Thanks in advance.

Grado SR60/SR80 comes to mind in regards to your preference for rock genre. Impedance of these are a lightweight 32ohms and thus easy to drive. However, it might not sound good with classical genre though.

Another model comes to mind. Its Ultrasone HFI-15G. I never like Ultrasone but this model seems to sound right without being overly coloured nor veiled. It's also lightweight and easy to drive and looks pretty good. I have seen it at AA. However, I'm not too sure of the price though; it might cost near the upper end of your budget.

user posted image

http://www.ultrasone.com/htdocs/08_frameset/hfi_index.php

I second getting a Grado. Great thing about Grado is that when unamped, the lower end models don't differ in terms of sound signature to the higher end ones.

which either mean they're really good, or that higher end grados suck. heheh

Nevertheless, lower end Grados have consistently won awards for their cost effectiveness, and in truth the idea that they are really good for rock tends to draw too much attention away from how well these cans can sound for other types of music. Poor headstage aside, grado sounds pretty good for classical if you ask me...

I think that the A500 and A700 would be uncomfortable for long periods since its closed and the material of the earpads doesn't handle sweat well.

Poor headstage aside, grado sounds pretty good for classical if you ask me...

Thanks to all for the very useful comments.

What is poor about the headstage? Do you mean the spread of instruments? I'd like to get something where the instruments aren't just either left, right or centre.

Any suggestions on where I can listen to both Grados and A-T?

$200 can get you a MS1. Better than SR80 and 60 IMHO.

I'm now the happy owner of ATH AD900s - way over budget, but you know how these things happen biggrin.gif.

I can also highly recommend buying from Stereo Electronics and Aron - great service.