Sign in to follow this  
Tetsusaiga

Was I ripped off??

In the history of LHS and all audiophiles who have visited and still visiting him for DIY cables, I reckon your fear is unfounded. 

I do see a problem here.  Can you tell the sound difference between cables?  If you can't now, you will in the future.  Hence, it's always good advice to live with your new equipment for some time before upgrading interconnects and power cords progressively as your discerning skills improve.

However, I do agree why the guy (could it be Robert) chooses a AES/EBU digital cable for your mini-mini function.  Any Belden or Canare 3-core conductor cable will do the job.

Thanks for your advice... will definitely try out this one for size first.. dun see myself buying anymore IC in the near future...

I'm sure the cable will do the job, just wondering whether there was any point in changing it from the old stock IC, that's all.. any comments on that??

Anyone owns the PA2V2 and has changed IC wanna comment??

I changed IC on my PA2V2 to a Cadas HPI. Cheap upgrade but quite noticable from the stock cable. The stock cable really not good.

BTW, how much is the Goldring DR-150? Its quite hot over at headfi. QED cables sound good!

Oh, it cost me about $189 shipped.. after conversion.. the cable is definitely good... the DR150 is a steal if you ask me... if you are thinking of getting it.. dun hesitate.. its out of stock at a lot of places which probably means price might go up soon...

How much was your Cardas HPI and where did you buy it from..

BTW, anyone on this forum can DIY a good mini to mini IC for me that I can use for a headphone cable on my DR150?? Any recommendations??

I have been using the PA2v2 for the last 2 years tho I just got a SM3 and have been burning in the latter since a week ago...

the problem with the stock IC imo is that it oxidises after some time and oftenly gives static when theres slight movement(the kind u get when you adjust the volume when listening to music)...

my custom IC uses f-12 plugs and supra cables and I must say the amount of static is greatly reduced mainly because the the f-12 are more solidly built especially with the cable strainers, and also that the plugs themselves tho not gold plated or whatever, dosent oxidise at all...

as for hearing a difference, I believe my ears are not that trained yet...

btw I paid abt $20+ cuz I bought the f-12 from another shop slt at $7 a pop irrc...

Thanks for the info.. mm... looks like I will have to train my ears first.. rolleyes.gif

Oh, it cost me about $189 shipped.. after conversion.. the cable is definitely good... the DR150 is a steal if you ask me... if you are thinking of getting it.. dun hesitate.. its out of stock at a lot of places which probably means price might go up soon...

BTW, anyone on this forum can DIY a good mini to mini IC for me that I can use for a headphone cable on my DR150?? Any recommendations??

I got my cadas hpi from TR audio. Its a amp to CDP cable. Not headphone cable, a little too short. Dun like the QED cables?

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=4569

http://users.mwconnections.com/traudio/home.html

Where to get them goldring? I wanna take a look or do you have a pic of them?

Edited by afbug

I got my cadas hpi from TR audio. Its a amp to CDP cable. Not headphone cable, a little too short. Dun like the QED cables?

Google for mantra audio.. i bought it from them.. the good thing is that since we outside of EU, they discount us the VAT of 17.5%.. thats a whole lot of money..

got a pic somewhere.. but gotta look for it.. how to send to you the pic??

if you go to mantra audio website.. you can see it also..

let me know..

Google for mantra audio.. i bought it from them.. the good thing is that since we outside of EU, they discount us the VAT of 17.5%.. thats a whole lot of money..

let me know..

All thanks to you. Now i'm tempted and want to avoid this thread and the one at headfi. tongue.gif The QED cables and sound similar to 595 thats tempting me. My $$$ flying away very fast this few months. lol.

i went thru all freaking 13 pages of that thread. Even saw it on someone's head. Man thats one very popular headphone.

let me know..

All thanks to you. Now i'm tempted and want to avoid this thread and the one at headfi. tongue.gif The QED cables and sound similar to 595 thats tempting me. My $$$ flying away very fast this few months. lol.

i went thru all freaking 13 pages of that thread. Even saw it on someone's head. Man thats one very popular headphone.

Not only that.. it's one VERY good pair of headphones..biggrin.gif

So.. can anyone tell me more about the cable that I got?? Was it any good??

Belden has a strong foothold in pro cablings, much like Canare and Klotz. You can only answer you own question. No matter what cable upgrades you make, don't expect a huge improvement in layman's terms. More often then not, you will notice changes in nuances. More importantly, let your hearing skills improve before making further upgrades.