Sign in to follow this  
Tetsusaiga

Was I ripped off??

Hi all, newbie here.. first post..

I went down to LHS over the weekend to get a new mini to mini IC, to replace the stock one that came with my PA2V2.

Asked a middle-aged man (I must say that he was a nice man though), I suppose he's the owner, about making one for me for about half the length. He quoted me about $10. I asked for a better one with Canare plugs and a Belden cable (read about all these over the internet).

He made me one about 15 cm in length.

Cable was, or at least what is written on the cable is "Belden Brilliance Flexible 110 Ohm AES/EBU Digital Audio 1PR24 Shielded E34972 (UL) CL2R" He used Canare F-12 plugs...

It cost me $18.

Question is, is this IC any good? What kind of cable did he give me?? Cos I cant really heard much difference between this and the stock one that came wth my PA2V2?

2nd Qn.. was I overcharged for the cable??

Thanks for all your help..

You were only ripped-off if:

1) You believe that good service should be free.

2) Labour should not be included.

;-)

As for how good or bad it sounds - please let us know.

;-)

No no no.. I dun believe in either.. obviously labour should be included and good service rewarded...

what I'm asking is if $18 is too ex for a cable like that, because I have no idea what is the cable that was given to me, its not like well know Klotz or Mogami or something like that..

another thing.. the Canare is not gold plated.. will that make any diff??

;-)

Oh.. thats the other problem.. it sounds exactly similar to the stock one that came with my PA2V2.. that's the problem..

What's your source and headphone?

In the history of LHS and all audiophiles who have visited and still visiting him for DIY cables, I reckon your fear is unfounded.

I do see a problem here. Can you tell the sound difference between cables? If you can't now, you will in the future. Hence, it's always good advice to live with your new equipment for some time before upgrading interconnects and power cords progressively as your discerning skills improve.

However, I do agree why the guy (could it be Robert) chooses a AES/EBU digital cable for your mini-mini function. Any Belden or Canare 3-core conductor cable will do the job.

Edited by Mackie

In the history of LHS and all audiophiles who have visited and still visiting him for DIY cables, I reckon your fear is unfounded.

I do see a problem here. Can you tell the sound difference between cables? If you can't now, you will in the future. Hence, it's always good advice to live with your new equipment for some time before upgrading interconnects and power cords progressively as your discerning skills improve.

However, I do agree why the guy (could it be Robert) chooses a AES/EBU digital cable for your mini-mini function. Any Belden or Canare 3-core conductor cable will do the job.

Thanks for your advice... will definitely try out this one for size first.. dun see myself buying anymore IC in the near future...

I'm sure the cable will do the job, just wondering whether there was any point in changing it from the old stock IC, that's all.. any comments on that??

Anyone owns the PA2V2 and has changed IC wanna comment??

OK.. tell me no one is stumped as to what the Goldring DR150 is.. yeah.gif

You mean the Sennheiser lookalike using titanium film diaphragm and a 3m detactable cord Goldring DR-150? whistling.gif

Brilliant call Aron beer.gif have a beer... so, have you heard it??

Its really really good... trounces the HD555 flat, more than a match for the HD595 in some areas and up there with some of the top Grados in the SR series..

Nope, haven't got a chance to touch them..... heard they use a detactable QED made cord, issit true? They sure look comfy.... headphone.gif

Not sure whether its made by QED, but its apparently designed and engineered by QED..

Comfy.. mm.. oh yeah they are.. disappears after 2 mins or so..

Nope, haven't got a chance to touch them..... heard they use a detactable QED made cord, issit true? They sure look comfy.... headphone.gif

Not sure whether its made by QED, but its apparently designed and engineered by QED..

Comfy.. mm.. oh yeah they are.. disappears after 2 mins or so..

Wow, that's a rare pair of cans you've got huh? I beleive that they're British made? Heard them sometime ago. They sure have some resemblance to the Senns but fuglier imo tongue.gif