Sign in to follow this  
Northern Oak

X-Can V2

got one. looks fantastically built on the outside, haven't looked inside yet. happy.gif

$450 at alpha audio, one branch at sls, one at adelphi. can try and bargain wink.gif

Nothern Oak,

Good Luck.

Also here's a link. http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=27977

Not a biggie but I should let you know first - you can easily change the tubes (both an advantage and disadvantage (pocket wise))

If you do buy locally - please please test the particular unit of X-Cans that you are buying before you part with cash.

For an even better price you can get X-Cans from Walrus Hi-Fi for ¡ò126 (I deducted 17.5% VAT from the 149 price) plus shipping which should be below ¡ò20. Please not that's the standard manufacturer price, you might be able to get an even better one from an on-line retailer (I don't know of any) At that MSRP price it's a fantastic value amp if you're using high-imp cans like the Senn. For low Imp cans you need to ask Ablaze as he's got the Sony CD-3k. Note it's still a mass manufacturer amp that retails for ¡ò126 (without VAT). Do take a look inside the x-can, you'll be amazed what you find (besides the tubes).

www.walrus.co.uk

Ablaze, if the tubes are still microphonic - get them changed for heaven's sake.

beer.gif

What I like about it is the external build of the thing. the thing weighs quite a lot. maybe 1/2-1kg?. not including the psu. and the brushed aluminium front cover, and the painted-rest of it..and the distinctive cylindrical shape..its all very VERY nice yes.gif

haven't opened it up yet, but people who have found pretty "cheap" parts inside..as Rameish will happily agree to dry.gif hehe

BUT, the reason I went with a commercially-built amp is precisely so that I wouldn't have to open up the thing for any reason ('cept maybe to tuberoll in the future laugh.gif) and for it to just work without any hassle, and so far..I've got what I wanted there smile.gif

sound-wise: its pretty good with my CD3000s. least I like it. certain tracks can get a lil harsh, but they should go away with sufficient burn-in, and of course..when the time comes..to get some nice vintage NOS tubes to "max" out the amp's potential w00t.gif but for now, i'm quite happy with the stock sound, and probably won't touch it till at least the 1 year local warranty expires. headphone.gif

hi ablaze,

That's going to be tough for me as I have no experience in auditioning, especially if it was to test out for "tube microphonics".

just go tap lightly on the volume knob with your nail. normally you don't hear any sound transmitted thru into the cans. with my "microphonic" X-can, each light tap on the knob produces a "CLAAANG" in the right side of the headphone. you wouldn't miss it if it was there.

now..listening to my current exchanged X-can, I realise that there IS still some microphony. its just very much diminished compared to the first set I had. guess its a tube thing happy.gif

yep. I'm suggesting you give the adelphi branch a call to check stock before you go down.